Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 11:32

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Would appreciate a profile review

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: Kellogg '17
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Analyst (Retail)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 13

Premium Member CAT Tests
Would appreciate a profile review [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 09:28
Age- 26

Nationality - Indian

GMAT 2- 700 (Q49, V- 35)
GMAT 1- 680 (Q49, V-34)
WE- 3.5 (so far) in Retail Analytics + Decision Making global firm (offices in US, UK, Asia and Europe)
1. worked with the 2nd largest grocery retailer in the US on streamlining their loyalty and rewards work stream, was recognized for my efforts with an inter-company award and a promotion
2. Worked with one of the largest coffee and fresh bread chains in the US, streamlining their loyalty card offering and making the program more personalized for the customer.
3. Currently working with the second largest grocery retailer in a Scandinavian country, worked on the Pricing Strategy for one their store formats which has been rolled-out nationally. Worked directly with the pricing team of the Client, while being at their offices in Scandinavia.

Undergrad- Bachelors in Engineering from Delhi University (Top 10 engineering college of the country)
Undergrad Score - 3.5

Leadership Roles/Community Service-

1. President of the Toastmasters Club of the corporate club at my organization, was also the VP, Education for the Club the year before I became the president. winner of awards at the Area level, Certified Competent Communicator.
2. Head, Quizzing Club at my organization, started the club and am responsible for hosting all the trivia quizzing activities at the office. Have also represented the organization in inter-company quizzing competitions.
3. NGO work- working in my spare time with a charitable NGO which provides schooling to under-privileged slum kids
4. Head of Publications, IEEE-Student chapter at my undergrad college. Was responsible for the publication of all the technical magazines from the stable
5. Founder and Head of the Quiz Club at my undergrad college, have participated and won many inter-collegiate trivia competitions across the country.

Post MBA goals:-
To work in a firm like Amazon, which is the biggest online retailer and apply the principles of management, analytics and marketing to make the online experience even better.
Or
To move in the field of consulting where my inter-personal and analytical skills can be utilized to the fullest in providing the best strategic solutions to my Clients

Schools targeted:-
Dream- Kellogg, Wharton,Tuck (First 2 are good schools in the field of Marketing, Tuck very good in General Management & Consulting)
Reach- Duke, Ross, Darden

I am not very happy with my GMAT score; it's not the score that I'd love to have, but it's something that I can live with. What do you think are my chances at an admit at these schools? Should I look at some other schools as well? Planning to apply next year, so will have a WE of about 60 months if and when I start my classes in the Fall of 2014.

Thanks in advance!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Would appreciate a profile review [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 09:41
Expert's post
Hello,

I think your professional experience is fantastic - a highly coveted skill set and well differentiated. It seems that you have decent extracurricular/community experience (though I wouldn't say it's exceptional), and your academics are average (based on GMAT - not sure what your undergrad scores were). I think you have a good chance at your target schools - Ross, Darden, Duke, and that you should apply to 1 or 2 of your stretch schools and see what happens. I might also suggest that you consider Berkeley and UCLA as potential programs, given your interest in working at a large tech company like Amazon -- they have a strong recruiting presence at these schools, so it could really benefit it you. Berkeley would be in the 'reach' category, but it's not impossible. So in total, I'd suggest Ross, Darden, Duke, Anderson and 1-2 of the others. Maybe add one safety to the list like USC.

Good luck!
Mili

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
http://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter