Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 10:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Would appreciate any advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Would appreciate any advice [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2008, 22:04
Hey Guys,
Would really appreciate it if you could help me out.I have got an admit for UIUC's MSF for Fall 09.Am not sure whether to take it up due to the financial turmoil in the States at the moment.
I am an Indian student and would be looking for a job after the MSF which would be in May 2010.Do you guys think the market will recover by then so that it would be possible to bag a finance job in the States.
Graduated last year as an Electronics and Telecommunication Engineer and working currently
as a Software Analyst in Infosys Technoligies Ltd, by the time I join UIUC I will have 1.5 years of work experience.
Any views will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 249

Kudos [?]: 1516 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Would appreciate any advice [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2008, 13:43
Hard to predict. It depends what your goals are. Would you expect a bulge bracket job or something at a NYC based Hedge Fund? Or would you be happy with a corporate treasury role with a Fortune 1000?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Would appreciate any advice [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2008, 14:43
I think the market may recover by 2010 but it will be very difficult to even get a winter intership (I assume UIUC does winter internships for their MSF program)? That's currently the issue being faced by some of the MFE students I know in Berkeley's programme.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Would appreciate any advice [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2008, 01:01
Would ideally like to work in risk management after completing the MSF. Any idea on how good is the UIUC MSF and does it have a good market value in NY or Chicago for that matter? Since its only a one year course do you think getting a job would be really difficult?
Any idea hows the course as compared to the other MSF's being offered out there ?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Would appreciate any advice [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2008, 09:59
I'm not terribly familiar with risk management, would that be in a consulting capacity then? UIUC should have a good rep. within Chicago, I think outside of that I'm not too familar with the job market- do a lot of banks/firms come and recruit from the school's program?
Re: Would appreciate any advice   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2008, 09:59