Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 09:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Would appreciate your opinion!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge
Would appreciate your opinion! [#permalink] New post 12 May 2012, 14:44
mbaMission,

I'm graduating from undergrad this week and was wondering, based on my stats, what I could do to improve my chances over the next few years. I don't want my life to revolve around going to b-school, but I would like to know if you have any tips for things I should look into on the side. I would like to go to H/W/S or Haas/Anderson if I do not meet the H/W/S criteria, but was wondering where you feel I would be most competitive if I don't fit the bill for any of those.

My stats:
- Starting with an elite buyside equity research firm (~$100 bil. AUM), would like to matriculate in 4 years
- 730 GMAT (48 Q, 42 V), just took it
- 3.65 GPA in Finance from unranked state school (Magna Cum Laude and Beta Gamma Sigma)
- President of undergrad Finance club, Treasurer of Fraternity, several awards for leadership
- 5 undergrad internships - 1 in investment banking M&A, 1 in investment banking public finance
- Private Pilot
- Starting professional prep. non-profit for highschool students

I know it's a little early to be thinking about this, but I'd love to hear your opinion on what I could do to improve my application. Thanks in advance for your help!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Would appreciate your opinion! [#permalink] New post 15 May 2012, 06:16
Expert's post
Hi, Eriginal,

Thanks for your post. It is great that you are thinking about business school this early and already have your GMAT score in hand. There are certainly several things you can do to get yourself ready to apply in a few years. Spend some time thinking about and research where you want to go in your career both short term and long term after business school. You will want to have a clear plan that you can communicate to the admissions committee. When you apply, you will also want to demonstrate your skills and experiences that serve as a foundation for your future career path. Keep that in mind as you take on projects and leadership roles at work. The more examples you have and the more your career progression flows, the stronger your story will be. Stay involved in community service as your involvement and leadership in these activities also will strengthen your application. Once you have further refined your career goals and know what you want out of an MBA program, spend time researching the MBA programs to ensure they are the best fit for what you need to learn.

Good luck,
Susan Kaplan
Senior Consultant
mbaMission
646-485-8844

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge
Re: Would appreciate your opinion! [#permalink] New post 15 May 2012, 10:03
Sounds like I need to start work for a few years and come back on this forum later! I appreciate the help and this seems to be the consensus from everyone I ask. Really get away from the idea of business school and focus on doing what I want to do in the near term. Thanks for the help!