Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 08:28

Hurry Up:

Last day of registration for Dealing with a Ding - Webinar by GMATClub and Admissionado Consulting.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Would it be right for the government to abandon efforts to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 20

Would it be right for the government to abandon efforts to [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 01:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

51% (02:15) correct 48% (01:34) wrong based on 35 sessions
Would it be right for the government to abandon efforts to determine at what levels to allow toxic substances in our food supply? Only if it can reasonably be argued that the only acceptable level of toxic substances in food is zero. However, virtually all foods contain perfectly natural substances that are toxic but cause no harm because they do not occur in food in toxic concentrations. Furthermore, we can never be certain of having reduced the concentration of any substance to zero; all we can ever know is that it has been reduced to below the threshold of detection of current analytical methods.
The main conclusion of the argument is that
(A) the government should continue trying to determine acceptable levels for toxic substances in our food supply
(B) the only acceptable level of toxic substances in food is zero
(C) naturally occurring toxic substances in food present little danger because they rarely occur in toxic concentrations
(D) the government will never be able to determine with certainty that a food contains no toxic substances
(E) the government needs to refine its methods of detecting toxic substances in our food supply
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: government to abandon efforts [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 06:35
I think it should be A....The first two lines say it all.....
"Would it be right for the government to abandon efforts to determine at what levels to allow toxic substances in our food supply? Only if it can reasonably be argued that the only acceptable level of toxic substances in food is zero."
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: government to abandon efforts [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 10:48
A for me too...
1 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 321

Kudos [?]: 1271 [1] , given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: government to abandon efforts [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 11:19
This post received
KUDOS
Read the first sentence. It says: Would it be right for the government to abandon efforts to determine at what levels to allow toxic substances in our food supply?

This translates to: "Should the government stop toxic tests?"

Let's look at what the rest of the para says.

1. ONLY if the acceptable level is zero.
2. But all foods contain some natural toxic substances, just not in that concentration
3. We can never be sure about reducing the level to zero, it's just not detectable.

From the three points above it follows logically that the government should continue testing. This would be your answer to the question that's presented as the first thing in the paragraph and hence the answer would be choice A.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: government to abandon efforts [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 17:08
y not C?
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 321

Kudos [?]: 1271 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: government to abandon efforts [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 19:40
Look at what the stimulus paragraph is leading towards. The main argument of the paragraph is the question of whether the government should stop testing, not the fact that the toxic chemicals occur in low concentrations.

You need to be careful with answer choices that are true but are not the MAIN point of the paragraph. In this case, option C might be a valid statement, but it's not the central idea in the stimulus.
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 159

Kudos [?]: 827 [1] , given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: government to abandon efforts [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 19:53
This post received
KUDOS
zisis wrote:
y not C?

In 95% of the Conclusion questions, the answer choices having premise restated are always wrong.

While doing the main point questions or conclusion questions, just remember 2 things to check.
1. The answer choice is true and within the scope.
2. Think critically why the hell the author is wasting my time in explaining the facts and arguments. The answer choice that will give you the answer of your above question is correct.

Premise :"However, virtually all foods contain perfectly natural substances that are toxic but cause no harm because they do not occur in food in toxic concentrations."

Answer choice"(C) naturally occurring toxic substances in food present little danger because they rarely occur in toxic concentrations"

Both the statements are same. Does the author wants to convey you this only? No, he does not.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: government to abandon efforts [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 17:42
IMO A.
GRE Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMP certified, IT professional
Schools: CMU, Kelley
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 2

Re: government to abandon efforts [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 18:06
I feel it is A.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 7

Re: Would it be right for the government to abandon efforts to [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 13:39
Can someone please explain why not (D) or (E)?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 7

Re: Would it be right for the government to abandon efforts to [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 13:43
I think I got it. I didn't read the first sentence carefully. The first sentence is the key to answering the question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Would it be right for the government to abandon efforts to [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 21:08
+1 for A
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 36

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Would it be right for the government to abandon efforts to [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 00:54
I agree A. I also get wrong when reading uncritically and choose C :(

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Would it be right for the government to abandon efforts to [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 11:24
A
Re: Would it be right for the government to abandon efforts to   [#permalink] 26 Dec 2011, 11:24