Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 10:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Would like some advice on my situation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Would like some advice on my situation [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 09:59
Hello everyone,

I'd appreciate some advice/insight into my situation for applying to business school... I think it's a pretty unique and abnormal situation.

Here's my profile:

Undergrad: Civil & Environmental Engineering with 3.1 GPA
School: Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Haven't taken GMAT yet
5+ years commitment to church leadership and outreach
Avid guitar player/musician, snowboarder, and basketball player

Work Experience: 2 and a half years, both with Fortune 500 companies. Worked in operations/supply chain management in a Global Leadership program, now doing Product Management for Staples in their eCommerce division

As you can see my bachelors has no relation to what I'm doing now. After graduating, I was going for a master's in Operations Design and Management at my school, when my adviser recommended me to go for the MBA instead, as it was a more valuable degree with only a handful more classes. I was a full time MBA student (with 0 full-time work experience) at WPI for about a year and half when I was hired into my first role. I've since then moved into my ideal position and industry with my current employer Staples. I am about 75% done with my MBA which, relative to other programs, is lower cost because I took advantage of graduate tuition promotions.

Here is the thing. I'm happy where I am now with my current role and the growth opportunities I have over the next few years, but I feel that my growth could be capped based on the fact that I don't have a top tier MBA. Especially because I'd like to get into consulting or corporate strategy eventually, which will likely require a top ranked MBA. I've asked several people on their opinion on finishing at a non-ranked school (which is almost complete) vs. getting the top degree, which in the long-run could lead to higher salaries and more opportunities.

The caveat here is that I've accumulated about $150K in loans from undergrad and the current MBA program that I'm in (WPI although a very good school is very expensive). If I were to do this, I would need to go the part-time/tuition reimbursement route or the low-cost program route. I've been looking into the following programs:

Kelley at Indiana University, ranked # 15. Has a great online/part-time program that costs only $50k total
Marriott school at BYU, ranked #32. Costs ~$20K total, but it is a full-time program
Tepper at Carnegie Mellon, ranked #11 overall. Will be starting a new online/part-time program next year, I believe it will cost around $60k total

Is it worth abandoning my current degree to pursue a higher ranked MBA going online/part time (or full-time in the case of BYU)? Is it worth adding on my to current amount of student loans? I assume after 2 years w/ my company I would see about a $10-12k increase in salary. And with my current resume, would I be able to get in the above schools assuming I get a GMAT score around 650-670 or higher?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Would like some advice on my situation   [#permalink] 20 Nov 2012, 09:59