Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 21:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Would love an honest assessment of my chances

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Would love an honest assessment of my chances [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2010, 22:59
Guys,

I'm planning to apply this fall would love to know if the schools I'm targeting are within range with respect to my credentials.

GMAT:

I went from a 660(Q-49,V-31),5.5 AWA to a 690(Q49,V-35),5.0 AWA to a 710(Q-49,V-37),5.0 AWA
The percentile split is 87/80 which sort of puts me around the median for my target schools. I did break the 700 barrier but it took me 3 attempts to get there and the 710 is not off the charts either, so I'm a little worried if I need to improve further considering my target schools or whether I'm better served concentrating on the other stuff. Also considering that I pretty much guessed my last 3 Verbal questions owing to lack of time I thought I finished a 10-20 short.

Experience: I'm an electrical engineer from an accredited university in India with a fairly diverse background. Spent close to 3 years in IT consulting developing insurance and banking software across 2 Fortune 500 firms in India. Started as a programmer and rose to lead a team--> Got a full ride to grad school in the US in Information systems from one of the better schools offering the program(focusing on data analytics) gaining insights into data driven decision making in organizations, and have worked for the last 2 years as a quantitative analytics professional for a renowned healthcare consulting firm in the USA identifying patterns and trends supporting strategic planning, new product development and qualitative research.

Academics:

Undergrad GPA : 73% from a university where the topper scores usually in the 80s. Not sure how I'm going to convert that.
Grad GPA:3.9 with a University Scholarship and graduate assistantship

Extracurriculars & Community Involvement -
Executed 4 month consulting project along with others in my firm helping craft the marketing and communication strategy for public schools in the area, around the Science and Math theme
Organized charity tennis tournament for 2 years running raising funds and donations from local businesses.
Varsity chess and table tennis, Compete in USATT affiliated tournaments
National level quiz champion in undergrad, Academic quiz team member in grad school

Want to switch careers to management consulting.Seeking an MBA to supplement my diverse experiences with strong general management skills that enable me achieve this goal. I'm pretty confident I can establish why an MBA is a logical next step.Also planning to visit a few schools in the spring to get some street credit especially the ones on the east coast.

Target schools: INSEAD(Jan 011 start), Round 1 class of 011-Chicago,Kellogg,Stern,MIT,Tuck,Columbia although INSEAD would be my 1st choice.

Thanks a lot everyone!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 528 [1] , given: 0

Re: Would love an honest assessment of my chances [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2010, 11:18
This post received
KUDOS
I think you should be competitive for the schools you mentioned - there's certainly no safety schools in there, but you should be able to get into at least a few of them (and frankly, if your goal is consulting you probably want to limit your school selection to the top 16 anyhow since the major consulting firms focus most if not all their efforts on these schools).

GMAT is fine. Don't worry about it.

Key thing is just making sure you do the best you can on the applications and doing well on the interviews.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Would love an honest assessment of my chances [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2010, 14:44
Thanks a lot for your guidance Alex....If others schools don't exhaust me I'll give Ross and LBS a shot as well. I have checked Big 4 recruiting in both these schools and its fantastic.

While I get ready for Round 1, I was hoping to make some schools visits in the spring. I know for sure that Stern is very particular about fit/prospectives evincing genuine interest,and consider visits very seriously, but for the other schools I mentioned is it worth spending the extra bucks for some street credit/brownie points? when you can usually accomplish 80% of all the "knowing-about-the-school" thru events/talking to alumi etc? And if you do visit, how do you make it impactful?
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 528 [0], given: 0

Re: Would love an honest assessment of my chances [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 09:28
If you really believe that you can get a feel for the school without visiting, then by all means don't go just for the brownie points. It's not about doing things to impress others, but to do it for your own experience and learning.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Would love an honest assessment of my chances   [#permalink] 02 Mar 2010, 09:28