Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 03:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Would love feedback....730 GMAT, 5 years exp, 3.7 GPA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Would love feedback....730 GMAT, 5 years exp, 3.7 GPA [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 07:22
1) Basic demographic info: 28, Female, US

2) Educational Background: 3.7 from an Ivy League Institution, GMAT: 730 (Q 48/V 41)

3) Work experience: I am currently a product manager for one of Inc magazine's fastest growing startups (top five). I work with executives and users to define new features for our website and manage the technical resources to develop out these features. Prior to that, I worked as an analyst for an early-stage investment firm, where I worked very closely with startups to define their company and product vision. I have been in the professional world for over 5 years.

4) Short/Long term goals: I want to work in management in a larger software company post-graduation and would eventually like to start my own software startup.

5) Schools: I'm considering the following schools but want to get feedback on these choices: Tepper, Haas, Stanford, McCombs, and Anderson.

What do you think?

Last edited by MerBiz on 17 Oct 2010, 04:34, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 195

Re: Would love feedback....730 GMAT, 5 years exp, 3.7 GPA [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 20:44
Expert's post
MerBiz,

I'm not sure I understand what you've pasted into your question. It seems the relevant info is missing.

Would be happy to help if you want to provide the above.

Respectfully,

Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Intern
Intern

Re: Would love feedback....730 GMAT, 5 years exp, 3.7 GPA [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 04:35
Paul,

I apologize for that. I included the relevant information above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Expert Post

Re: Would love feedback....730 GMAT, 5 years exp, 3.7 GPA [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 18:04
Expert's post
MerBiz,

There it is! My first question ... no MIT? Talk about a great school for you. You've got the chops, you have the innovation-tech focused career, and you help them with the female demo. I think you would be a great fit at Sloan.

As for your other choices, Stanford is a real "black box" school and is always hard to read. Tuck would be a great choice and you will be very competitive as long as you nail school fit and really showcase a desire to come be part of the experience there. Anderson is teamwork/leadership focused and fits with Stanford and Tuck in the way the school really wants to tap into who you are as a person. That is true also of [strike]Tuck[/strike] Haas [10/23 edit, PL], which is a great choice for you.

Not sure I see as much appeal with Texas and Tepper. Unless you want to work in that Austin market, Texas might be selling yourself a tiny bit short. Maybe I don't know enough about Tepper, but I don't see it as being on par with the rest of your list.

Kellogg gets overlooked in this area, but has a great major in tech and e-commerce. I would put that on the short list as well.

The key will be showcasing the fit with all of these schools and bringing the other b school themes (leadership, teamwork, maturity, innovation, etc.) to the surface.

PM if you want to discuss further!

Respectfully,

Paul Lanzillotti

Intern
Intern

Re: Would love feedback....730 GMAT, 5 years exp, 3.7 GPA [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 09:07
Thanks for the help, Paul!

I have booked a trip to Boston to visit Sloan! I really don't know why I wasn't including that on my list.

My new list is: Tepper, McCombs, Sloan, and Haas. All are ranked high in Entrepreneurship aside from Tepper and many are high in IS. I'm a Pittsburgh resident so Tepper is a must!

If you have any feedback on the revised list, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again.
Expert Post

Re: Would love feedback....730 GMAT, 5 years exp, 3.7 GPA [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 09:23
Expert's post
Great list. Balanced, good mix of super selective and merely "very selective." Sloan and Haas are particularly tricky applications to navigate so if you need any help, be sure to reach out to us. You can PM me if you are ever interested in a consultation.

Have a great trip to Boston - I think you are going to love Sloan.

-PL