Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 15:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Would love your honest opinion

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 8

Would love your honest opinion [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 15:27
Hi Friend,

I preface my post by acknowledge how ridiculous it might sound to you, but i'll post it anyways because worse case scenario is that you'll have a laugh

Posting a really detailed profile of myself and getting some sort of evaluation isn't exactly what I'm after here, I am not at that stage even if i wanted to, what I would like to do is just write down a few sentences to perhaps let you know where i'm coming from, vantage point wise, and then get your opinion based on your knowledge and experiences

I am very keen on getting an MBA, obviously, and would like to, at least as a first step, conclude which schools to apply to

I work in computer networking, and i have a certification known as "CCIE" which is in a way the equivalent of a CFA in the networking world. This cert is great asset for well paying jobs and so forth, money wise its possibly better to stay in networking and work as a tech guy, but to be honest it is not my passion, and it isn't what I want to be doing for the rest of my life

The caveat is, my GPA is really low, it's 76/100 as reported, which I think over 4.0 is 2.7, or a C average. There are reasons for that, that's for sure. but it is what it is

I haven't done the GMAT yet, I plan to

What I would like to know is, how is this viewed at top schools ? I mean I know most schools say that there is no GPA cut off and that they encourage all applicants to apply, but the numbers say otherwise, moreover, I'd guess that most schools love to brag about how low their acceptance rate has been this year, at the very least, they get some application fees in ... what I am trying to say here is that no matter how you look at it, there really isn't a single compelling reason for a school to discourage applicants who don't have a realistic chance, for them more applicants means a win in all criteria

Schools that I am really vibing with are MIT, NYU and Ross

My question is, should I even bother with these schools ? For sure everyone recommends to apply to stretches and whatnot, but there are things in the realm of possibility, and things in the realm of probability, and I'd rather maximize the latter

I don't want to put my efforts in an area where my chances are something like %1

What do you think ?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Would love your honest opinion [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 16:38
I asked this question in a completely upside down way, for somewhat different reasons and got no response. How much difference does the school name mean? What if I get a good education, which I presume you can do from probably 100 or more schools and have an MBA from a largely no-name school. A no name school, you know like the majority of the schools that advertise at this site. Who represents the great majority who for various reasons ( bad GPA, not a great tester, one income household, etc) will get a decent or better education and do the majority of the work as managers in the businesses we see every day.
I have no doubt elite schools are and cast no aspersions on anyone with these thoughts. The elite is fine and those discussions should happen but even a lot of people who get in the 90%ile or better on the GMAT will go to "regular" schools. (I don't like the 2nd and third tier terminology.) Is the "old boy network that entrenched? Is the salary differential that great?

My opinion for you is study hard for the GMAT. Be as prepared as you can be for the coursework itself and go to the best school you can get into. But for the right reasons, it will give you the best education.
Re: Would love your honest opinion   [#permalink] 14 May 2010, 16:38