Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 21:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Would Love Your Input

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 2

Would Love Your Input [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2008, 17:15
Hi Group,

I did not found any of these companies by myself, and a huge amount of the credit can and should be given to the other founders. I'm trying to receive some feedback on my profile

Thank you group -- I appreciate your time,

Last edited by dominion on 24 May 2008, 22:46, edited 5 times in total.
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: Multimillion $ Entrepreneur Profile - Would Love Your Input [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2008, 17:28
LOL if what you wrote is true, then NICE profile. My only question is: why do you need b-school? I need b-school because I need the tools that will help me make/manage millions some day, but it seems like you're already there.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 659 [0], given: 781

Re: Multimillion $ Entrepreneur Profile - Would Love Your Input [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2008, 17:34
Many congratulations on your success. Which of these companies had the most impact (if any) on your decision to pursue an MBA?

All the significant milestones in your life must get equal face time in your essays. In particular, every entrepreneurial experience builds a lot of character - such experiences color and shape our attitude and our outlook on life.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Multimillion $ Entrepreneur Profile - Would Love Your Input [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2008, 17:45
well, making a lot of $$$ is a good achievement
but I have met some really rich people who were idiots. My best friend from HS went on to start a business after HS and she made millions from it, she came to my college graduation and in the Halmark card that she gave me for my graduation I found like 10 spelling mistakes in the 2 sentences that she wrote :)
Anyways... I don't think you should mention money in your essays. Especially not the Tuck essay :) you should talk about experiences.
oh and thanks for trying to bribe us with offering to purchase materials from us to prove that you are serious :) I have a couple of GMAT books that I am selling for $200 each, let me know if you are interested :)

GO BLUE !!!

Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Multimillion $ Entrepreneur Profile - Would Love Your Input [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2008, 17:52
Great profile. Highlight the experience where your contribution was visibly significant. It doesn't matter that one experience led you to $10m whereas the other only led you to $4m. Which one was more influenced by you? And which one defined you more? IMO, you should just try to find which experiences answer given questions better .. and perhaps you won't have to force a choice between these seemingly interesting experiences.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Multimillion $ Entrepreneur Profile - Would Love Your Input [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2008, 20:17
With this sort of profile and the experience from the various industries and functions you've played. Surely an EMBA is more appropriate.

Also, you need to emphasise why you need an MBA.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Multimillion $ Entrepreneur Profile - Would Love Your Input [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2008, 02:07
great profile, but like everyone said, it doesn't really matter how many millions of $$ you made, as opposed to the experiences of leadership and teamwork you've had.

You need to be able to answer two questions very well and convincingly:

1. Why do you need an MBA if you manage two or three companies with such big names and $$ involved?

2. Why are you not going for an Executive MBA?

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Multimillion $ Entrepreneur Profile - Would Love Your Input [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2008, 05:46
Nice shot. I know who this guy is. New Bill Gates in the making.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 248

Kudos [?]: 1516 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Multimillion $ Entrepreneur Profile - Would Love Your Input [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2008, 12:42
RoboMan wrote:

I'm trying to figure out who myself.
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Multimillion $ Entrepreneur Profile - Would Love Your Input [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2008, 13:22
Seriously, why would you take time off from these great jobs to pursue an MBA full-time???

Don't your companies need you?
Manager
Manager

Re: Multimillion $ Entrepreneur Profile - Would Love Your Input [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2008, 14:08
rhyme wrote:
RoboMan wrote:

I'm trying to figure out who myself.

Thanks for the input everyone. These companies were co-founded largely with family/close friends so there are a number of very capable people, including family, already in place should I pursue higher education for a couple years. I also want the opportunity to work within a corporate environment as well for the experience. I'm still fairly young.

Thanks for the positive feedback and insights (those of who you offered them)

Last edited by dominion on 24 May 2008, 22:46, edited 3 times in total.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Multimillion $ Entrepreneur Profile - Would Love Your Input [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2008, 14:15
All three experiences look great. I would make one of the following:

(1) describe all of them throughout essays (the adcoms will be really amazed and spellbound with your profile) - but here you will need to explain why, having such a vast experience, you still need the business education. Maybe, it is network or need of some specific business knowledge that you will apply in your business.

(2) choose the one that has formed you/ inspires you most of all. Here you will also need to prove/ show that your love to your business pushes you to getting the business education in H/W or Tuck.

G'luck with GMAT.
Manager
Manager

Re: Multimillion $ Entrepreneur Profile - Would Love Your Input [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2008, 14:19
nick_sun wrote:
All three experiences look great. I would make one of the following:

(1) describe all of them throughout essays (the adcoms will be really amazed and spellbound with your profile) - but here you will need to explain why, having such a vast experience, you still need the business education. Maybe, it is network or need of some specific business knowledge that you will apply in your business.

(2) choose the one that has formed you/ inspires you most of all. Here you will also need to prove/ show that your love to your business pushes you to getting the business education in H/W or Tuck.

G'luck with GMAT.

Nick, thanks for the feedback though I would argue against the statement that I have alot of business experience. To be mildly cliche: the more you know... the more you know you don't.

Last edited by dominion on 20 Jan 2008, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Multimillion $ Entrepreneur Profile - Would Love Your Input [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2008, 15:20
dominion wrote:
Nick, thanks for the feedback. I argue against the statement that I have alot of business experience. The more you know... the more you know you don't.

In which case, show what you learned in the essays and talk about the gaps you discovered during the execution, this will demonstrate the need for the mba. Any mistakes made and how you handled are also good to highlight as it shows a willingness to plug those gaps
Re: Multimillion $ Entrepreneur Profile - Would Love Your Input   [#permalink] 20 Jan 2008, 15:20