Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 03:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Would retaking the GMAT Improve my chances at top B-schools?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q46 V47
GPA: 3.51
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Would retaking the GMAT Improve my chances at top B-schools? [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2014, 14:27
I just finished taking the GMAT, scored 740 overall, with a 46Q and a 47V. Now, you may be asking, why would someone retake with a 740? Well, my target schools are Harvard, Booth, Columbia, and Wharton. I was also previously given the advice that I needed to score at least in the 80th percentile on the quant portion to be competitive at these schools. Additional information, PSU Engineering Grad GPA 3.5, currently a management consultant at a tier 2 firm in the banking industry (commercial and consumer, not Investment). 3 years of experience, I have been promoted once.

Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Would retaking the GMAT Improve my chances at top B-schools? [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2014, 16:47
Expert's post
I normally would not recommend a retake with that score, but I understand your desire to reflect your quant ability most favorably. With a background in engineering and career experience in finance, it's unlikely they would question your quant skills, but if you think you can get a 49 on the quant, then go for it. One thing you will need to focus on is the work experience. Because you hail from a very crowded feeder industry, you will be competing against the most impressive consultants in the country, some with more experience and possibly more impressive leadership evidence. You must compare yourself against these applicants and choose to highlight areas of your profile which will be able to sway the adcoms to select you over them. Think of reasons why the perspective you offer from a second tier firm may in some ways be of superior value in the classroom vs. someone's perspective in a bulge bracket firm in tier one. If you do this, you will begin to uncover the true differentiators in your profile.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews