Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 01:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Would schools know other schools you apply for by your email

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '14 (S)
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Would schools know other schools you apply for by your email [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 04:38
Hi all

Silly question maybe, but I apply to many schools this year. Let's say over 10...

I use the same email to register for the application process, and since many schools use the same system of ApplyYourself, Embark... Im just wondering if they would somehow find out about the other schools I am applying to? Would that information somehow be disclosed to the Committee? I work hard on each school and just REALLY want to go for an MBA this year, so I want to maximize my chance by applying to a bunch of them.

If they somehow find out that I apply for so many schools, they might think I am not serious about studying there and thus it might hurt my chance.

Any thought?

Thanks

Jessica
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 288 [1] , given: 11

Re: Would schools know other schools you apply for by your email [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 18:21
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Jessica,

No - there is no chance of any school finding out at all about other schools you have applied to, even using the same system. Take another example. You could use Paypal to pay many merchants (using the same portal), but one merchant will never know you are using the portal to pay another merchant too. Similar is the case with B-schools. They may use the same application system, but have no visibility into the user's activity on the system not pertaining to their own use of data.

GyanOne | http://www.GyanOne.com | +91 9899831738

Get a free detailed MBA profile evaluation

Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions blog

Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '14 (S)
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V40

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Would schools know other schools you apply for by your email [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 18:43
GyanOne wrote:
Hi Jessica,

No - there is no chance of any school finding out at all about other schools you have applied to, even using the same system. Take another example. You could use Paypal to pay many merchants (using the same portal), but one merchant will never know you are using the portal to pay another merchant too. Similar is the case with B-schools. They may use the same application system, but have no visibility into the user's activity on the system not pertaining to their own use of data.

Thank you so much for replying. That's good news :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Would schools know other schools you apply for by your email [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 05:55
Some schools will actually ask, either in Interview, or in Application itself (i.e. DUKE), which other schools you are applying to...there was some discussion about disclosing this in the Duke thread some time back. I would suggest always be honest. Very few people apply to only one school, and adcom/current students obviously are aware of this.

One area where you may run into some trouble is if you are applying to schools that are very different. For example: if you are applying to Tuck and Booth...and structure your entire Tuck application around why you would fit in a small, rural environment etc...you may not want to tell Tuck you are also applying to Booth, if asked, or at the least be prepared to explain why you are applying to such different schools - otherwise your desire/fit with Tuck could be called into question. That's how I approached it. In four interviews I was never asked this question...but Duke does ask for it in the application.
Re: Would schools know other schools you apply for by your email   [#permalink] 14 Dec 2011, 05:55