Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
ncprasad wrote:
lepium, if schools are looking for the best possible students, then whats wrong with 800 scorers. Wont they give you the best odds for obtaining a good student?

That said, I dont think that schools do it for earning more app fees.

But business schools are not necessarily looking for best "students" - they are looking for best future business leaders, right?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ncprasad wrote:
lepium, if schools are looking for the best possible students, then whats wrong with 800 scorers. Wont they give you the best odds for obtaining a good student?

That said, I dont think that schools do it for earning more app fees.

Because they pride themselves on saying a high gmat score alone doesn't make a good student.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
same logic hsampath. I have not seen any evidence to say that sacrificing 800 scorers is the best way to get those great potential leaders with lower scores.

Are schools assuming that any 800 will most likely be not a great business leader. That sounds illogical. Granted, some of these 800ers would be poor leaders, but that possibility holds for every score. Not just 800.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
hsampath wrote:
But business schools are not necessarily looking for best "students" - they are looking for best future business leaders, right?

Actually a 800 scorer would seem to have a better chance of landing a good traditional MC/IB job post MBA than a 640 scorer. So, going by that logic, a high GMAT score would make practical sense to schools.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
Its not like these schools are summarily denying applicants with 800 scores. So, there must be somewhere where they did not see a fit with the school, I would think.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Schools tell everyone they have a shot so why not apply. Not for the $250 but so their number of applicants go up. Then their acceptance rate goes down and looks more impressive.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
Schools tell everyone they have a shot so why not apply. Not for the $250 but so their number of applicants go up. Then their acceptance rate goes down and looks more impressive.

And so that they find that one gem who sucks at taking tests, and so has a poor GMAT/GPA combination .. but who is bound to do great things otherwise? The more I get involved in the application process, the more I appreciate the so called 'holistic' approach of B-school admissions.

Although I would still recommend the schools to just take the top GMAT scorers to fill up their class :wink:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Oh I wasn't referring to just the GMAT. Someone who has an amazing background but a 650 gmat stands a better chance than someone who has a 750 and there is nothing special about them.

They may deny there is a method to how they choose their classes but I wouldnt be suprised if there was. There was an article on BW today about an admissions consultant for UG (charges up to 40K) and I guess a lot of schools dislike her because she gave up a lot of their secrets (she was assistant dean of admissions at Dartmouth). All these top schools had formulas they run people through. I wouldnt be suprised if they have something like that at certain business schools. You get point values for everything from GMAT, GPA (weighed by ug degree and school), your work experience, recs, extras, and of course essays. If you dont meet a certain number you are dinged. If you exceed a certain number you are accepted. In between those two values you get a more thorough review and are reevaluated for a ding/WL/accept.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ya, I read the same article and was disappointed to see that you can get into an ivy league school merely by hiring this $40K consultant.

Originally posted by ncp on 12 Oct 2007, 12:57.
Last edited by ncp on 12 Oct 2007, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Whoa!! Where's this article, guys? The point system sounds a little unfair (Consider all the 'holistic' crap we hear), but I wouldn't be surprised with something like this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
ncprasad wrote:
Ya, I read the same article and was disappointed to see that you can get into an ivy league school merely by hiring this $40K consultant.

Well that 40K consultant isn't a normal consultant...she is more of a life coach. She starts on the kids in sophomore year and molds them into schools dream students. The are extremely well rounded and academically successful, because they have every opportunity. The kids do have an unfair advantage but they still must work their tails off.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
But i guess its still a huge setback for those other smart hardworking kids who dont have the 40k to spend.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well after reading the article, I dont think the $40k is too bad. This is similar to the coaching centers in India that charge some ridiculous amount to get students into IIT or whatever medical school. She does seem to spend a decent amount of time working with the students.

MBA consultants seem to charge $200 an hour, so around 200 hours of work per student? Thats a LOT of work :)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ncprasad wrote:

$40K? Dayam. I'd rather throw that money at the target school as donation and hope that sways the admissions counselors.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
If someone says she likes photography, Hernandez might suggest she take photos of the homeless, then mount an exhibit as a way to raise money. "A kid wouldn't come up with that idea on their own," she says.

Wow!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
The best thing is she said she makes a million bucks a year doing it. I think I need to get on an adcom at school 2nd year. Hmm which schools do that?
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4