Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 01:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wrecked by the Rec's!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: In: Emory, USC, Georgetown Out: Harvard, Wharton, Yale, UCLA WL: Kellogg
WE 1: Manager @ Fortune 100
WE 2: Manager @ World Famous Hotel
WE 3: Division Leader @ Real Estate Firm
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Wrecked by the Rec's!! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 09:21
I have a dilmena.

As of today, I technically have only 1 recommender, which of course, for most schools, won't cut it.

The second person I asked to be my recommender is my current boss (the EVP of our company, somebody who promoted me and whom I work with daily). I had asked him several months back, and he gladly accepted.

The problem?

At the time, I was thinking of applying to part time programs (NYU and Columbia) which would allow me to continue working at my current company. I've had a change of heart, however, and am applying strictly to full time programs. As my wife is also applying to PhD programs, our schools were carefully selected to ensure maximum insurance for both of us to get into schools in the same locaiton.

None are in a location I can travel to from my current office.

What do I do? I don't want to get fired, but feel my application is MUCH stronger with my EVP's rec than if I went to somebody from my past.

Help!!!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Fuqua '14 (M)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 54

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Wrecked by the Rec's!! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 12:05
I hate to simply state the obvious, but if you ask for a recommendation from your EVP, what guarantee do you have that your EVP will give you a strong recommendation if he knows you will leave the organization? If he knows that you will leave the organization, then he may decide to dedicate less time to the rec and put in less effort.

On the other hand, there is no better reason to leave a job then to go back to school. Perhaps you can have a discussion with him about how you would love to keep your relationship with the organization and that you would strongly consider coming back upon graduation?

EDIT: In re-reading your post, I understand that you would get fired if he found out you were going full-time...guess your only option is to try and find another recommendation.

I appreciate the kudos if you find this post helpful! +1

Re: Wrecked by the Rec's!!   [#permalink] 22 Oct 2010, 12:05