Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3118 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
VP
VP
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Re: (x-x_1)*(x-x_2)*(x-x_3)........(x-x_n) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
MacFauz wrote:
Thanks for replying Mike... I should say I was worried whether Statement 1 would be able to convey the meaning properly. The riddle went like this : what is the value of (x-a)*(x-b)-(x-c).....(x-z). The answer was 0. The reason being that this series contains the term (x-x). The logic I used to frame the question was:

Statement 1) The series given becomes (x-a)*(x-b)*(x-c).... etc. But we do not know until which letter this series extends. If it ends before x, we cannot determine the value otherwise the value is zero. Insufficient.
Statement 2) The series given becomes \((x-x_1)*(x-x_2)....(x-x_{26})\). Insufficient.
1 & 2 together the series is (x-a)*(x-b)*(x-c).......(x-w)*(x-x)*(x-y)*(x-z) = 0.
I understand statement 1 is a bit convoluted. Is there a better way for me to express the meaning clearly or is the question itself not salvageable??

Dear MacFauz
OK, I see what you mean. As odd as this may sound, a good riddle or puzzle typically is not a valid basis for a good GMAT question. I know that may sound paradoxical, since so many GMAT math questions can be puzzling, and many are designed to exploit common misunderstanding. I'm not sure I will be able to explain this distinction.
I guess what makes a good GMAT math problem --- it relies on properties that a mathematician would recognize as important, although it may be framed in a way so as to induce folks to fall into a predictable mathematical trap. By contrast, a riddle or puzzle will often rely on emphasizing the importance of something that others would typically overlook. In this particular problem, the "trick" consisted in the names assigned to the variables. From a purely mathematical point of view, what names we assign to variables is entirely arbitrary, and doesn't affect the underlying mathematics at all. In fact, this is ultimately one of the defining characteristics of mathematical thinking, one hardest for non-mathematicians to appreciate: the absolute arbitrariness of external notation, the absolute fungibility of one variable/symbol for another. Therefore, I imagine that most people skilled with mathematics would entirely overlook the significance of the variable names, as I did. A question that "fools" people who understand mathematics well --- that may well be the characteristic of a good puzzle or riddle, but doesn't not constitute a good GMAT math question. The mark of a good GMAT math question is that it finely discriminates between those who understand math well and those who think about math superficially. In a way, this puzzle-question rewards a kind of superficial thinking (attachment to the names of the variables), which is the opposite of what a good GMAT question does.
I want to say: I really appreciate your effort in putting a question out there. I would say this question is not an appropriate basis for a GMAT question, but don't give up. It's actually excellent practice to understand how GMAT questions are constructed. Let me know if you create any more questions.
Mike :-)
VP
VP
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
MacFauz wrote:
Thanks for replying Mike... I should say I was worried whether Statement 1 would be able to convey the meaning properly. The riddle went like this : what is the value of (x-a)*(x-b)-(x-c).....(x-z). The answer was 0. The reason being that this series contains the term (x-x). The logic I used to frame the question was:

Statement 1) The series given becomes (x-a)*(x-b)*(x-c).... etc. But we do not know until which letter this series extends. If it ends before x, we cannot determine the value otherwise the value is zero. Insufficient.
Statement 2) The series given becomes \((x-x_1)*(x-x_2)....(x-x_{26})\). Insufficient.
1 & 2 together the series is (x-a)*(x-b)*(x-c).......(x-w)*(x-x)*(x-y)*(x-z) = 0.
I understand statement 1 is a bit convoluted. Is there a better way for me to express the meaning clearly or is the question itself not salvageable??

Dear MacFauz
OK, I see what you mean. As odd as this may sound, a good riddle or puzzle typically is not a valid basis for a good GMAT question. I know that may sound paradoxical, since so many GMAT math questions can be puzzling, and many are designed to exploit common misunderstanding. I'm not sure I will be able to explain this distinction.
I guess what makes a good GMAT math problem --- it relies on properties that a mathematician would recognize as important, although it may be framed in a way so as to induce folks to fall into a predictable mathematical trap. By contrast, a riddle or puzzle will often rely on emphasizing the importance of something that others would typically overlook. In this particular problem, the "trick" consisted in the names assigned to the variables. From a purely mathematical point of view, what names we assign to variables is entirely arbitrary, and doesn't affect the underlying mathematics at all. In fact, this is ultimately one of the defining characteristics of mathematical thinking, one hardest for non-mathematicians to appreciate: the absolute arbitrariness of external notation, the absolute fungibility of one variable/symbol for another. Therefore, I imagine that most people skilled with mathematics would entirely overlook the significance of the variable names, as I did. A question that "fools" people who understand mathematics well --- that may well be the characteristic of a good puzzle or riddle, but doesn't not constitute a good GMAT math question. The mark of a good GMAT math question is that it finely discriminates between those who understand math well and those who think about math superficially. In a way, this puzzle-question rewards a kind of superficial thinking (attachment to the names of the variables), which is the opposite of what a good GMAT question does.
I want to say: I really appreciate your effort in putting a question out there. I would say this question is not an appropriate basis for a GMAT question, but don't give up. It's actually excellent practice to understand how GMAT questions are constructed. Let me know if you create any more questions.

Thanks Mike... And will do for sure...:)
Just curious though... Is there any way to reframe this question to make it GMAT worthy??
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Expert Reply
MacFauz wrote:
Just curious though... Is there any way to reframe this question to make it GMAT worthy??

I would say no. It seems the whole question depends so specifically on the choice of letters for variables, something very superficial from a mathematical perspective.

Here's something that occurs to me, two questions that would be GMAT worthy, on the hard side for the GMAT, but they're changed so much from the original that I don't know if you would consider them anything like a reframing:

What is the value of x^8 + 7x^6 - 3x^4 + 14x^2 - 5?
Statement #1: x^2 = 4
Statement #2: x^3 = 8

What is the value of x^7 + 7x^5 - 3x^3 + 14x?
Statement #1: x^2 = 4
Statement #2: x^3 = 8

VP
VP
Send PM
Understood.. :)
And my answers to these questions are D and B..

Posted from my mobile device

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Data Sufficiency (DS) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92900 posts