Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:24 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [14]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Schulich (A)
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.13
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [5]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Schulich (A)
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.13
Send PM
Re: XYZ, aquatic mammals inhabiting Florida’s rivers and coastal waters [#permalink]
Kudos
Zynga wrote:
Answer is E , explained below :
XYZ, aquatic mammals inhabiting Florida’s rivers and coastal waters, swim close to the surface and are frequently killed in collisions with boats. To address the problem, boat traffic in XYZ-populated waters is being required to maintain very low speeds. Unfortunately, XYZs are unable to hear low-pitched sounds and a boat’s sound lowers in pitch as the boats slows. Therefore, this approach may in fact make things worse rather than better.

Question) [b]Which of the following if true would strengthen the conclusion?[/b]

Answer should essentially hint/provide evidence that low speed boats are not effective
e) When experimenters exposed XYZs to the recorded sounds of boats moving at various speeds, the creature were unable to discern the sounds over normal background noise.
Bingo ! since XYZ cannot discern the boat sounds over normal background noise of boats moving at various speeds,low boat speed law doesn't really affect the collisions issue as it doesn't matter if the boats are traveling fast or slow.
XYZ are not able to discren the boat sound regardless of the speed is the key here .

[/quote]

As you pointed out that this approach [slow boats] would make situation worse rather than improve it so if the mammal are not able to distinguish than slow boats are as bad as fast boats so it doesn't really effect [as you mentioned the answer should be] but since it doesn't effect then it would mean that it just wouldn't improve the situation. Is that what we are looking for in the answer - since no change in situation so he it doesn't improve it hence it does the opposite i.e. makes it worse?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Rotman '15 Ivey
GMAT Date: 03-28-2012
GPA: 2.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
Re: XYZ, aquatic mammals inhabiting Florida’s rivers and coastal waters [#permalink]
certainly a tough one, I understand that we are making the speed irrelevant, but is the conclusion not "Therefore, this approach may in fact make things worse rather than better." So strengthening this argument would mean that the approach will make things worse than better? I get E is the right answer I'm not arguing that but I guess my concern is what am I missing about the conclusion rather then the answer :?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
^^^ you are right . the conclusion for the arguments is "this approach may in fact make things worse rather than better"
E doesn't necessarily make things worse but thats the only one in the answer choices that is very close to the expected option.
none of the other answer choices even fit the argument
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
UtterNonsense wrote:
XYZ, aquatic mammals inhabiting Florida’s rivers and coastal waters, swim close to the surface and are frequently killed in collisions with boats. To address the problem, boat traffic in XYZ-populated waters is being required to maintain very low speeds. Unfortunately, XYZs are unable to hear low-pitched sounds and a boat’s sound lowers in pitch as the boats slows. Therefore, this approach may in fact make things worse rather than better.

Question) Which of the following if true would strengthen the conclusion?

premise : xyz swims close to water surface and are frequently killed by collision with speed boat
premise :XYZs are unable to hear low-pitched sounds and a boat’s sound lowers in pitch as the boats slows

conclusion : the approach of maintaining low speed is making problem of collision is actually worse

thus a strengthener would either
1. provide an evidence or support that event that additional support to prove conclusion ( slow speed doesn't prevent collision)
or 2. it would close/negate any alternate reason for collision. (may be suicidal tendency of xyz is infact the cause :lol: )

let's search out for any of these in answers

a) The areas where boats would have to maintain low speeds were decided partly on the basis of XYZ-population estimates and partly from numbers of reported collisions between XYZ and boats. [color=#800080] even if areas were determined using this logic, it does not provide any support to the theory tht low speeds doesn't help in solving of collision. Out of scope

b) Because the water hyacinth that XYZ feed on grow best in water that is nearly still, water hyacinth beds can be disturbed or damaged by fast-moving boat traffic. this option is again out of scope, thou it may be helpful in increasing the population of xyz , but our stimulus is manily concerned with accident btw xyz and slow moving boats.

c) Over the last several decades, boat traffic in Florida’s coastal waters has been increasing almost continuously and now represents the greater threat to the endangered XYZ population. again same as B. it does not address the issue of collision btw slow moving boats n xyz

d) The sound of a boat engine generally travels much further under water than it does through the air. out of scope we are concerned with pitch of sound rather than its speed

e) When experimenters exposed XYZs to the recorded sounds of boats moving at various speeds, the creature were unable to discern the sounds over normal background noise if xyz cannot distinguish btw various boat sounds over background noise, then it doesn't make any difference if boat travels slower or faster. hence it doesn't destroy conclusion Although slow speed doesn't make matter worse but it doesn't improve it either.

Hence out of all the choices only one which comes close by is E [/color]
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
I do not think that this question is good.

There is no strengthener in this question.

E is restatement of the evidence and so can not be correct.

I am wrong possiblly.

pls, discuss more.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [0]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mr. Thang you are correct that E does not provide any new information and hence cannot be the correct answer. The key piece is to get new information that when combined with the information in the passage will strengthen the belief in the conclusion that this new law/requirement will lead to greater XYZ fatalities.

Choice E: In my opinion, choice E is a weakener because if XYZ cannot hear neither high speed noises nor low speed noises then the # of XYZ fatalities should remain the same This means that the situation will not get worse.

What could be strengthener?

A choice such as the one below could be a strengthener.
For XYZ, a collision with a slow moving boat is as likely to be fatal as a collision with a fast moving boat.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V42
GMAT 3: 770 Q49 V47
GMAT 4: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Re: XYZ, aquatic mammals inhabiting Floridas rivers and coastal waters [#permalink]
Either the original question was posted incorrectly, or the question has been amended. I just had the same question on my mock, and the question read:

Manatees, aquatic mammals inhabiting Florida’s rivers and coastal waters, swim close to the surface and are frequently killed in collisions with boats. To address the problem, boat traffic in manatee-populated waters is being required to maintain very low speeds. Unfortunately, manatees are unable to hear low-pitched sounds and a boat’s sound lowers in pitch as the boat slows. Therefore, this approach may in fact make things worse rather than better.

Which of the following, if true, casts most doubt on the conclusion?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: XYZ, aquatic mammals inhabiting Floridas rivers and coastal waters [#permalink]
Kudos
why isn't a the answer.. its saying that the choice should strengthen the conclusion.
the conclusion says slowing boats will make it worse..
from option A we conclude that the highest population is present when the boat slows
so why is e the answer
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
lilygranger wrote:
why isn't a the answer.. its saying that the choice should strengthen the conclusion.
from option A we conclude that the highest population is present when the boat slows
so why is e the answer

Here is a better question, lilygranger: Why not study the official question, on manatees, from which this one was so clearly plagiarized? This is the problem with one-step-removed (reworked) official questions. The changes that are made may derail the chain of logic that was present in the original. It is not worth your time to try to figure out what went wrong here. If you want a logically sound question, you are much better off with official material.

I hope this copycat question does not hinder your ability to assess the answer choices to the real question. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
lilygranger wrote:
so why is e the answer

Here is a better question, lilygranger: Why not study the official question, on manatees, from which this one was so clearly plagiarized? This is the problem with one-step-removed (reworked) official questions. The changes that are made may derail the chain of logic that was present in the original. It is not worth your time to try to figure out what went wrong here. If you want a logically sound question, you are much better off with official material.

I hope this copycat question does not hinder your ability to assess the answer choices to the real question. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew

Thank you Andrew! I didn't realise there was a separate post!

(Also, I think we briefly spoke during the GMAT Ninja 24 hour stream! Nice to make your acquaintance here - Vubar aka Harry :) )
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
Vubar wrote:
AndrewN wrote:
lilygranger wrote:
so why is e the answer

- Andrew

(Also, I think we briefly spoke during the GMAT Ninja 24 hour stream! Nice to make your acquaintance here - Vubar aka Harry :) )

Yes, lilygranger-Vubar-Harry, we did cross paths during that event. I am assuming that those are your mock scores in your profile. (If not, then I would imagine that a 770 would be good enough for just about any purpose, and you could probably stop studying.) In any case, if you listen to nothing else any Expert tells you, I would advise you (again) to stick to official questions for Verbal preparation. It is important to get a feel for just how they are constructed (the language used, the question phrasing, and so on).

Good luck with your studies, and also with running your Discord community.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
Vubar wrote:

Yes, lilygranger-Vubar-Harry, we did cross paths during that event. I am assuming that those are your mock scores in your profile. (If not, then I would imagine that a 770 would be good enough for just about any purpose, and you could probably stop studying.) In any case, if you listen to nothing else any Expert tells you, I would advise you (again) to stick to official questions for Verbal preparation. It is important to get a feel for just how they are constructed (the language used, the question phrasing, and so on).

Good luck with your studies, and also with running your Discord community.

- Andrew

Thanks Andrew, I definitely agree! I only came across this post because it was in my last mock. I definitely have had issues with most of the third-party verbal questions I've seen around though!

And you're correct, those are my GMAC mock scores. I wasn't sure if it was only for the actual scores when I first joined. For now I guess I'm tracking progress, but will clear it all when I have my official score!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts