Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 22:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

XYZ, aquatic mammals inhabiting Florida s rivers and coastal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 31

Re: XYZ, aquatic mammals inhabiting Florida s rivers and coastal [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 00:43
selected B,
ruled out E thinking it just weakens the conclusion that slowing will worsen the condition but as per E it doesnt even matters if you go fast or slow they are gonna die, come on how E could even strengthen the conclusion. It infact weakens saying the conclusion is not gonna result in desired effect.

B on the other hand atleast gives us a reason to think okay increasing speed would go bad for those creature.

what is the source, which i feel to be fishy and the OA stated as E makes me doubt more on the credibility of the source.

I would appreciate if CR GODS could spread some light upon.

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 31

Re: XYZ, aquatic mammals inhabiting Florida s rivers and coastal [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 20:37
ChrisLele wrote:
What I like about CR is the feeling of sudden awareness that an answer choice is correct; everything just clicks into place.

With this question, there were no clicks. In fact, I found (E) to be WEAKENING the conclusion. Of course no other answer choices worked, but we can't work by default here, and choose the answer choice that is most relevant to the prompt (in this case (E).

But just to run a little experiment, let me argue for (E) to illustrate what I must do in order to make this answer choice work.

(E) says that XYZ cannot tell the difference between low-pitched and high-pitched sounds. But a slow boat spends more time moving across a body of water, so that gives XYZ more time to collide with it. Therefore, slow boats are more dangerous.

That answer may seem sensible, but I am doing a few things you should never do on GMAT Critical Reasoning. First off, I am discounting part of the conclusion, which states: slow boats are more dangerous to XYZ than are fast boats, because XYZ cannot hear slow boats.

Secondly, I am making some inferences that are not backed up by the passage (and indeed may not be backed up by reality). Namely, that XYZ is more likely to collide with a slow moving object.

Here nothing is "clicking into place," and I have to really labor to come up with an answer. The less straightforward the reasoning the more likely the given answer choice is wrong.

So it is only by breaking rules fundamental to GMAT that I can conceivably make (E) work. So (E) is definitely not the answer

The question--which I like, besides the prosaic tag XYZ (couldn't we just say hu-manatee)--is therefore broken. To fix it, all we would need to do is to add the word WEAKEN to the question. As in:

Which one of the following would WEAKEN the conclusion.

Then, the answer is clearly (E). The conclusion states that XYZ is likely to hear low-pitch than high pitch. (E) says that XYZ is unable to determine the difference).

So again, there is NO ANSWER to the question. It is faulty, but can easily be emended by the addition of one word.

nice analysis, hope these kindda fishy questions dont dare up in GMAT .
+1 to u

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: XYZ, aquatic mammals inhabiting Florida s rivers and coastal [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 20:41
Yup E makes the most sense.
I was drawn to D but then sound in air & water was just irrelevant

Good questions !!!

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: XYZ, aquatic mammals inhabiting Florida s rivers and coastal [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2012, 09:54
I think it is A

As per the passage, low pitch will make things worse, since XYZ won't be able to hear the boats and avoid them as before. According to 'A', the plan is implemented in high population areas where more accidents were reported, so this will result in even more losses.

E concludes that XYZ are insensitive to low or high pitches, so the new plan won't make things worse as mentioned in the passage's conclusion.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 622 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: XYZ, aquatic mammals inhabiting Florida s rivers and coastal [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 03:58
Expert's post
Guys why can't C be the answer?
This option states that boat traffic HAS BEEN INCREASING CONTINUOUSLY, so it makes the chances of collision between a boat and the mammal higher. Also we are told in the premise that these mammals are unable to hear low pitched sounds of boats and quite clearly this will worsen the situation.
Please let me know where I am wrong.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 269

Re: XYZ, aquatic mammals inhabiting Florida s rivers and coastal [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 22:48
SyedSan wrote:
I chose option E but didn't liked the grammar in it.

"When experimenters exposed XYZs to the recorded sounds of boats moving at various speeds, the creature were unable to discern the sounds over normal background noise. "

creature is singular; why does the sentence uses plurel were?

Hi Syed

If you can use past tense after "did" then they sure can use "are" after creature. In the end we are all human. :)

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 269

Re: XYZ, aquatic mammals inhabiting Florida s rivers and coastal [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 22:51
siddharthasingh wrote:
Guys why can't C be the answer?
This option states that boat traffic HAS BEEN INCREASING CONTINUOUSLY, so it makes the chances of collision between a boat and the mammal higher. Also we are told in the premise that these mammals are unable to hear low pitched sounds of boats and quite clearly this will worsen the situation.
Please let me know where I am wrong.

Premise - XYZ, aquatic mammals inhabiting Florida’s rivers and coastal waters, swim close to the surface and are frequently killed in collisions with boats. boat traffic in XYZ-populated waters is being required to maintain very low speeds. Unfortunately, XYZs are unable to hear low-pitched sounds and a boat’s sound lowers in pitch as the boats slows

Conclusion - this approach may in fact make things worse rather than better.

Anything which strengthen the conclusion is our answer i.e. anything which supports that the approach (of slowing down) may make things worse is our answer

Option C does not discuss this approach.

Option E is the best among the lot. I am sure an expert would be a better person to comment.

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: XYZ, aquatic mammals inhabiting Florida s rivers and coastal [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 02:01
I do not think that this question is good.

There is no strengthener in this question.

E is restatement of the evidence and so can not be correct.

I am wrong possiblly.

pls, discuss more.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1269

Kudos [?]: 3542 [0], given: 185

Re: XYZ, aquatic mammals inhabiting Florida s rivers and coastal [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 09:06
Expert's post
Mr. Thang you are correct that E does not provide any new information and hence cannot be the correct answer. The key piece is to get new information that when combined with the information in the passage will strengthen the belief in the conclusion that this new law/requirement will lead to greater XYZ fatalities.

Choice E: In my opinion, choice E is a weakener because if XYZ cannot hear neither high speed noises nor low speed noises then the # of XYZ fatalities should remain the same This means that the situation will not get worse.

What could be strengthener?

A choice such as the one below could be a strengthener.
For XYZ, a collision with a slow moving boat is as likely to be fatal as a collision with a fast moving boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Re: XYZ, aquatic mammals inhabiting Florida s rivers and coastal [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2013, 11:19
Zynga wrote:
Answer is E , explained below :
XYZ, aquatic mammals inhabiting Florida’s rivers and coastal waters, swim close to the surface and are frequently killed in collisions with boats. To address the problem, boat traffic in XYZ-populated waters is being required to maintain very low speeds. Unfortunately, XYZs are unable to hear low-pitched sounds and a boat’s sound lowers in pitch as the boats slows. Therefore, this approach may in fact make things worse rather than better.

Question) Which of the following if true would strengthen the conclusion?

Answer should essentially hint/provide evidence that low speed boats are not effective
e) When experimenters exposed XYZs to the recorded sounds of boats moving at various speeds, the creature were unable to discern the sounds over normal background noise.
Bingo ! since XYZ cannot discern the boat sounds over normal background noise of boats moving at various speeds,low boat speed law doesn't really affect the collisions issue as it doesn't matter if the boats are traveling fast or slow.
XYZ are not able to discren the boat sound regardless of the speed is the key here .
[/quote]

As you pointed out that this approach [slow boats] would make situation worse rather than improve it so if the mammal are not able to distinguish than slow boats are as bad as fast boats so it doesn't really effect [as you mentioned the answer should be] but since it doesn't effect then it would mean that it just wouldn't improve the situation. Is that what we are looking for in the answer - since no change in situation so he it doesn't improve it hence it does the opposite i.e. makes it worse?

it doesn't improve it does not mean it does the opposite. The situation could remain unchanged....so no effect either direction
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIMB, advantages.us, IIML
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: iim-bangalore - Class of 1994
GMAT 1: 750 Q59 V43
GPA: 3.12
WE: Research (Investment Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 39

Re: XYZ, aquatic mammals inhabiting Florida s rivers and coastal [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2013, 21:03
Unable to quote (timed out login i guess)

I got snared choosing D because it finally was the first choice that spoke to the elements in the question. The answer of course is E. yup i can see i may miss 800 everytime till the day.. D ofcourse weakens the argument
Re: XYZ, aquatic mammals inhabiting Florida s rivers and coastal   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2013, 21:03