Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

XYZ winery : ABC's new wine was introduced to compete with

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 242 [0], given: 67

XYZ winery : ABC's new wine was introduced to compete with [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 23:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (02:20) correct 20% (01:13) wrong based on 91 sessions
XYZ winery : ABC's new wine was introduced to compete with our most popular wine,Which is sold in a distinctive tall black bottle. ABC uses a similar bottle. Thus its likely that many customers intending to buy our wine will mistakenly buy their instead.

ABC winery: Not so the two bottles can be readily distinguished, the label on ours but not on theirs is gold colored.

Which of the following if true most undermines ABC's response?

1. GOld is the background color on the label of many of the wines produced by ABC
2. When the bottles are viewed side by side ABC's bottle is perceptively taller than XYZ's
3. ABC unlike XYZ displays its wines labels prominently in the advertisements
4. It is common for occasional purchasers to buy a bottle of wine on teh basis of general impression of the most obvious feature of the bottle.
5. Most popular wines are sold in bottles of standard design.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Archit143 on 12 Oct 2012, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP

Re: XYZ winery : ABC's new wine was introduced to compete [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 23:24
In this question its asked to weaken ABC's argument but all the options seems very odd . Pls suggest approach to this question.
My approach was
Conclusion : Purchasers will not get miscued as ABC's new launch has gold label

TO weaken we have to prove that purchasers will get miscued.

I dont find any option close to it.
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 581

Kudos [?]: 2054 [0], given: 670

Re: XYZ winery : ABC's new wine was introduced to compete [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 23:40
Expert's post
Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 269

CAT Tests
Re: XYZ winery : ABC's new wine was introduced to compete [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 00:05
Archit143 wrote:
In this question its asked to weaken ABC's argument but all the options seems very odd . Pls suggest approach to this question.
My approach was

+1C (Not very happy)

ABC states - Not so the two bottles can be readily distinguished, the label on ours but not on theirs is gold colored

If XYZ do not show the label in their advertisement , then the consumers will not know the color of their label and they can easily assume (or get confused) that the color might be gold and mistakenly buy the ABC bottle.

:roll:

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

VP
VP

Re: XYZ winery : ABC's new wine was introduced to compete [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 00:47
getgyan wrote:
Archit143 wrote:
My approach was

+1C (Not very happy)

ABC states - Not so the two bottles can be readily distinguished, the label on ours but not on theirs is gold color
If XYZ do not show the label in their advertisement , then the consumers will not know the color of their label and they can easily assume (or get confused) that the color might be gold and mistakenly buy the ABC bottle.

:roll:

as per your explanation, the advt will help the purchasers to distinguish the label and it is a step taken by the company not by someone else so i think it strengthens rather than weakening.
I think it restates that consumers will not get confused of the labels
Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Re: XYZ winery : ABC's new wine was introduced to compete [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 00:48
Expert's post
VP
VP

Re: XYZ winery : ABC's new wine was introduced to compete [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 00:55
souvik101990 wrote:
D says the consumers look at the generic bottle design rather than pay attention to the label. This clearly undermines ABC's argument.

Optiopn choice D is little bit undigestable as ......... Label can also be obvious feature of the bottle

but it can be considered as best amongst the worst.

4. It is common for occasional purchasers to buy a bottle of wine on teh basis of general impression of the most obvious feature of the bottle.
Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Re: XYZ winery : ABC's new wine was introduced to compete [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 01:01
Expert's post
There is a major difference between strengthen and assumption questions
Assumptions are ABSOLUTELY necessary to the argument, while strengthen can only INCREASE the likelihood of the conclusion.
You DO NOT NEED TO HAVE A FULL PROOF reason in a strengthen question. All you need is an answer choice which is the strongest supporter of the conclusion.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 269

CAT Tests
Re: XYZ winery : ABC's new wine was introduced to compete [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 01:21
Archit143 wrote:
as per your explanation, the advt will help the purchasers to distinguish the label and it is a step taken by the company not by someone else so i think it strengthens rather than weakening.
I think it restates that consumers will not get confused of the labels

Nope, that’s not what I meant. The question is about people confusing XYZ with ABC and NOT VICE VERSA.

Let us take an example of the Apple iphone and the Samsung phone. They both looked similar except for the name (label) in front. If Apple, in their advertisement, does not show the label, how would a consumer distinguish samsung from apple? Thoughts?

D is also very lucrative and maybe the best answer. Why I did not go with this option was the ambiguity attached with the phrase “most obvious feature”.

@Souvik what do you think about option C?

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 623 [0], given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: XYZ winery : ABC's new wine was introduced to compete [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 02:40
XYZ's conclusion is that people looking to buy XYZ's wines will mistakenly buy ABC's wine.
ABC counters that there is one distinguishing feature and so there wont be any confusion.
So XYZ's counter i.e. the statement undermining ABC's claim should argue that the one distinguishing feature would not have any appreciable effect on the customers.
The answer should be D

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

Re: XYZ winery : ABC's new wine was introduced to compete [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 03:11
Archit143 wrote:
XYZ winery : ABC's new wine was introduced to compete with our most popular wine,Which is sold in a distinctive tall black bottle. ABC uses a similar bottle. Thus its likely that many customers intending to buy our wine will mistakenly buy their instead.

ABC winery: Not so the two bottles can be readily distinguished, the label on ours but not on theirs is gold colored.

1. GOld is the background color on the label of many of the wines produced by ABC
2. When the bottles are viewed side by side ABC's bottle is perceptively taller than XYZ's

Interesting conversation going on.

I support D in this case.

AS for C.. it strengthens ABC 's case instead of weakening it, because if ABC displays the label then it is differentiating between XYZ and itself. AS label is the only point of difference.

MY two narrowed down options were D and E..but E can be applicable to both. Hence D should be the answer..Not a perfect answer but surely the best answer.

Can we please have the source and OA/OE
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: XYZ winery : ABC's new wine was introduced to compete [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 06:27
+1D. But I think this is a bad question. Where does it come from?

A and B strengthen ABC's argument. C and E are irrelevant. D becomes the only answer, but even that can be partly wrong, because "the most obvious feature of the bottle" is left undefined: it does not necessarily have to be their tall and black features.

Last edited by sepandee on 12 Oct 2012, 07:18, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Re: XYZ winery : ABC's new wine was introduced to compete [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 06:43
Expert's post
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 10-22-2012

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: XYZ winery : ABC's new wine was introduced to compete [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 07:33
Archit143 wrote:

D for me...thats the only contender amoung all...
OA pls...
VP
VP

Re: XYZ winery : ABC's new wine was introduced to compete [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 15:38
OA D
I think Souviks reasoning is well suited
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 10

Re: XYZ winery : ABC's new wine was introduced to compete [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2012, 05:27
D for me too.
MacFauz has explained it well!!
VP
VP

Re: XYZ winery : ABC's new wine was introduced to compete with [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 18:37
I know B is lill bit unusual answer, but can we discuss make it firm that B is not the correct answer.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 36

Re: XYZ winery : ABC's new wine was introduced to compete with [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 03:04
+1 for D.
As the most obvious feature of the bottle will be its sign, buyers will not be able to distinguish between 2 brands and there will be equal probability of buying both ABC & XYZ brands.

On the other side, C says that ABC displays its label prominently in its advertisements; so, it is trying its best to distinguish itself from XYZ. Thus, C will strengthen the argument on the other hand.

If you think you are lost, you are.

Re: XYZ winery : ABC's new wine was introduced to compete with   [#permalink] 25 Oct 2012, 03:04