Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:34 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Nonprofit, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
freegg123 wrote:
heeks wrote:
I also just completed the video questions, and it sucked. I am not a camera person at all. It just feels so artificial and fake (which is ironic, since Yale says that this is their way to try to get an authentic feel of their applicants). Here's a summary of the experience:

2 generic practice questions that no one sees and that you can review afterward
3 real questions that are delivered by videos of an adcom member asking it
20 seconds to think, 90 seconds to respond
I had two interview-y questions and 1 thought question, which I expected from what people shared about the video questions in last year's round 3

My "how to not look terrible" tips:

-Put a smiley face sticker or something right above your webcam so you remember to look at the camera and not the screen
-Spend a lot of time beforehand creating a good backdrop/setup with good lighting and seating where you'll sit straight
-Put on lots of makeup (blush) so you don't look washed out
-Elevate your computer with books or something so it's eye level when you sit up straight. That way you won't lose your posture or get the double chin.
-Stop blinking. I noticed that I blinked way too much when recording myself, and I think it's from lack of direct eye contact with another person.

Is it just me, or do webcams make every flyaway on your head stand out like antennae?? I tried to paste them down but was unsuccessful. You can let me know if you have other tips for this one.

I am so not looking forward to doing this again for Kellogg. Ugh.

Thank you for your tips. Very helpful.
What questions were asked in last year r3, can u put a link here?

Sorry, this website isn't letting me post URLs yet. If you just Google "Yale video interview questions" you can see some questions people shared about their round 3 experiences last year on the clearadmit website.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Rejected after interview :(
That hurt last time, but am back with high hopes and (hopefully) a much better application!

hailmary wrote:
rahulrg wrote:
Interview running for 6 pages but provides great insight.
Having met him last year for my interview, I can relate a lot to where is coming from. Hoping the results are a little different for me this year.
Good luck to all! :)

hailmary wrote:
Based on what adcom told me during my class visit, some applicants will get interview invites starting today....most likely folks with very strong "data points"....3.8+/750+. Good Luck all.

Also, P&Q had an interview with Bruce this month. It's amazing how transparent he is about the whole process - loved his interview. Bruce is simply awesome...
https://poetsandquants.com/2013/09/05/th ... anagement/

Nice. He is a very genuine guy. Were you also wait-listed last year?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GPA: 3.2
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Just completed the video interviews. To echo others, it is a little awkward talking to a computer in a room by yourself. I kept convincing myself that I was rambling and to slow down. Overall, pretty straight forward. Definitely makes you realize how important something as simple as a person nodding their head and making eye contact with you is to keeping your thoughts organized.

Now we play the waiting game...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: UCLA Anderson School of Management - Class of 2016
WE:Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Send PM
I bought a new webcam with 1080p resolution. The mic picks up the nuances of my voice.

With 90 seconds to respond, you still get a superficial impression of the candidate.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Quick question on pacing yourself. Are you guys completing your answer easily much within 90 seconds? Few seconds of dead airtime?

dthollow wrote:
Just completed the video interviews. To echo others, it is a little awkward talking to a computer in a room by yourself. I kept convincing myself that I was rambling and to slow down. Overall, pretty straight forward. Definitely makes you realize how important something as simple as a person nodding their head and making eye contact with you is to keeping your thoughts organized.

Now we play the waiting game...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Schools: Yale '16 (M)
Send PM
rahulrg wrote:
Quick question on pacing yourself. Are you guys completing your answer easily much within 90 seconds? Few seconds of dead airtime?

Just finished my video interview too. I didn't use up the 90 seconds for any of the questions because I didn't want to start on a thread & end up running out of time. So I kept my answers fairly brief and stopped the recording manually right after so there's no awkward seconds of staring-at-the-webcam.

Good luck to everyone!
Director
Director
Send PM
The email we got from Kira Talent says that the video expires on October 4th. Does that mean it expires ends the day of October 4th or midnight October 3rd? Not sure if any one has contacted them? I am currently on the road and want to do the interview when I reach home on Thursday night. (better camera, mic and lighting....and obviously the background view :).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
hailmary wrote:
The email we got from Kira Talent says that the video expires on October 4th. Does that mean it expires ends the day of October 4th or midnight October 3rd? Not sure if any one has contacted them? I am currently on the road and want to do the interview when I reach home on Thursday night. (better camera, mic and lighting....and obviously the background view :).

From the email I received from them...."Submit your interview before 11:59 PM EST on October 4, 2013"
Director
Director
Send PM
lnds1001 wrote:
hailmary wrote:

From the email I received from them...."Submit your interview before 11:59 PM EST on October 4, 2013"

hmm just checked again. It's 12:00AM EST on October 4th, so essentially we have until the end of the day on Thursday, October 3rd to complete this part of the application process.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Just wanted to give a bit of advice on the video questions....

I had some technical problems that ended up delaying my video my about an hour. You can log-in and test out the system at a time prior to when you want to complete the actual interview. I ended up only having one window to do both, and it was a little bit stressful trying to resolve these issues while at the same time remaining calm for the questions. I'd recommend logging in ahead of time just to make sure your webcam/audio are working properly with the system...especially if you're going to be cutting it close with the deadline.

My feedback for the questions mirrors what others have said. They cut you off at 90 seconds sharp, so make sure to tie up loose ends prior to the final three seconds. Otherwise, based on what I could see from the practice questions, it will catch you mid-word.

Good luck everyone! :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
hailmary wrote:
lnds1001 wrote:
hailmary wrote:

hmm just checked again. It's 12:00AM EST on October 4th, so essentially we have until the end of the day on Thursday, October 3rd to complete this part of the application process.

I just asked the Live Help. You have until end of Friday, October 4th, 11:59 PM to answer your questions. They did encourage you to finish early during Live Support hours...
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Just did the video interview, complete disaster. Wish you all good luck.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Same here, I am yet to hear from anyone who has done this well. Am guessing (hoping really), Yale Admissions will treat this as an experiment and give minimal weightage on the video essays.

freegg123 wrote:
Just did the video interview, complete disaster. Wish you all good luck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q800 V720
Send PM
Kudos
I always thought I was a good presenter... but if any of the Yale adcom visits this site, please take some of our feedbacks seriously... Don't roll out something that is not technologically mature...

So, I took the video interviews... the first two were choppy, but I could at least get the questions... the third one was so choppy that the cutoffs totally ruined my mood, and added up the stress level...

Talked to the support, and they claimed that I had a choppy connection... but I was quite sure my connection worked like a charm. The streaming was fast, but the video played like crap... anyways, I completed my videos, and no more complaints...

One tip to all of you, there are texts of the questions during the 20 sec waiting time in case the videos are choppy, which I totally missed it cz' I concentrated on what to talk about...
Director
Director
Send PM
Just finished my video interview. I actually think I did very well for 2 of the questions. Third one, I stumbled a bit and might have used a professional story which could be a bit confusing for adcom to understand. oh well, I don't think they will put too much weight on this thing, since quite a few people have video issues. Good Luck all.

ps. I applied R3 last year and did a video interview, so I have some experience.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Send PM
machichi wrote:
hailmary wrote:
essaysnark wrote:
@hailmary, the more interesting thing for us was that the class size went from 290 on 8/14 when they posted the Yale Welcomes New Students article, to 291 in the class profile that you linked to - some lucky waitlisted dog was celebrating recently!! Wonder what went into that decision.

Probably a current Yale grad student who walked over to the SOM building and won the Adcoms' heart over.

Posted from my mobile device

I can confirm that hailmary's guess is a true story. Not sure how many weeks ago it happened though! :)

Really random question but was this person in Yale grad school last year or did this person graduate from Yale grad school years ago?

Also, anyone know the average age for the class of 2015?
Director
Director
Send PM
farful wrote:
machichi wrote:
I can confirm that hailmary's guess is a true story. Not sure how many weeks ago it happened though! :)

Really random question but was this person in Yale grad school last year or did this person graduate from Yale grad school years ago?

Also, anyone know the average age for the class of 2015?

I think that person was a Yale law student who was on wait list because of low quant score on GMAT and got in late in summer. If you read Bruce's P&Q interview, he mentions about he/she (without names or specifics).
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  50   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts