Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 00:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 670 Q43 V39
GPA: 3.7
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 11:37
reesespieces2521 wrote:
2 people have already listed "Denied without Interview." Have they actually started dinging people?

The email yesterday said they will inform people of interview decisions "BY" December 9th. Could this mean earlier?

i think the "by" part refers to dings and waitlistings, which may go out 24 hours earlier than the acceptances, which will be ON Dec 9th. From talking to students they all mention they got a phone call the ON the deadline day.
Fuqua Thread Master
Concentration: Nonprofit, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 48

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 14:50
ceecee wrote:
elisej09 wrote:
Did anyone who interviewed yet want to give some pointers about questions to prep for? My interview is tomorrow and I have most of the basic behavior questions down, but want to be fully prepared! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Second that!

I received six questions in my interview. One was a standard resume walk through, and the rest were more about value systems and how you understand and relate to other people. I don't know if there's really a good way to prep for it...it would help to be a naturally introspective and self-reflective/evaluative person, I think.

More thoughts at my blog: MBA the Nonprofit Way

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: 1520 Q800 V720
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 15:36
mbamyway wrote:
ceecee wrote:
elisej09 wrote:
Did anyone who interviewed yet want to give some
pointers about questions to prep for? My interview is tomorrow and I have most of the basic behavior questions down, but want to be fully prepared! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Second that!

I received six questions in my interview. One was a standard resume walk through, and the rest were more about value systems and how you understand and relate to other people. I don't know if there's really a good way to prep for it...it would help to be a naturally introspective and self-reflective/evaluative person, I think.

Second this. I recently interviewed with an adcom member and the questions were pretty standard. The interviewer was also very friendly and tried to create a casual atmosphere at the beginning.

Question: do your interviewers reply to Thank You emails? Is it a bad sign with no reply? Or maybe I'm just freaking out a bit...

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 411 [1] , given: 245

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 17:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
blueser wrote:
Question: do your interviewers reply to Thank You emails? Is it a bad sign with no reply? Or maybe I'm just freaking out a bit...

Don't worry about receiving a Thank You or not. There are so many instances on GC where people received great thank yous and then were dinged and others who received nothing and were accepted (and vice versa, of course). There's no rhyme or reason -- some people like to be personal and respond, others are just busy and might look at the Thank You as routine and expected.

One thing to note though: DO write your Thank You, regardless. It's good form to do so, whether or not the person responds.

Good luck waiting for the result, blueser. Only a few more weeks left!

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 670 Q43 V39
GPA: 3.7
WE: Analyst (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 6

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2013, 06:17
This post received
KUDOS
aerien wrote:
blueser wrote:

Don't worry about receiving a Thank You or not. There are so many instances on GC where people received great thank yous and then were dinged and others who received nothing and were accepted (and vice versa, of course). There's no rhyme or reason -- some people like to be personal and respond, others are just busy and might look at the Thank You as routine and expected.

One thing to note though: DO write your Thank You, regardless. It's good form to do so, whether or not the person responds.

Good luck waiting for the result, blueser. Only a few more weeks left!

My interviewer actually beat me to writing a thank you email (while traveling back home). He was nice enough to write and thank me for preparing and taking the time to interview. Regardless, I thought it was a very very classy move. Yale is the only school where such a nice gesture has happened.

Thought it said a lot about the interviewers and the process itself. So I wouldn't worry about responses or anything. They are all good at helping applicants getting the best app experience they can.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 13

Premium Member
Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2013, 06:17
2 weeks + 2 days until decisions are released

Advice, Musings, and Experiences from a member of the HBS Class of 2016
http://DefyingGravityMBA.blogspot.com/

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2013, 12:56
Gianfranco2014 wrote:
reesespieces2521 wrote:
2 people have already listed "Denied without Interview." Have they actually started dinging people?

The email yesterday said they will inform people of interview decisions "BY" December 9th. Could this mean earlier?

i think the "by" part refers to dings and waitlistings, which may go out 24 hours earlier than the acceptances, which will be ON Dec 9th. From talking to students they all mention they got a phone call the ON the deadline day.

This makes me think that anyone who got an email saying "BY December 9th" will be dinged or waitlisted and anyone who received an email saying "ON December 9th" will be accepted.

I wonder if this was the same phrasing as last year's emails.
Expert Post
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 245

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2013, 15:43
Expert's post
thebloke wrote:
Gianfranco2014 wrote:
reesespieces2521 wrote:

This makes me think that anyone who got an email saying "BY December 9th" will be dinged or waitlisted and anyone who received an email saying "ON December 9th" will be accepted.

My email last year said .... "by December [day]". It seems to be a stock email, so I wouldn't read into any of the phrasings.

I also received my call on the decision day listed in that email. I wouldn't entirely count on that though, since schools can choose to notify earlier if they decide to (example: see last year's Duke's R2 thread)

aerien

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 5

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2013, 19:20
thebloke wrote:
Gianfranco2014 wrote:
reesespieces2521 wrote:

I don't think anyone got an email that said "ON" did they?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q V

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 11

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2013, 15:13
Quote:

My email said "on" but it was tailored for a Consortium applicant.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 640 Q38 V39
GPA: 3.31
WE: Human Resources (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2013, 15:21
ceecee wrote:

My email said "on" but it was tailored for a Consortium applicant.[/quote]

I didn't get this email at all, so.... not sure what that means, haha.
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 13

Premium Member
Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2013, 15:25
I didn't get the email either.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q V

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 11

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2013, 15:53
DefyingGravity wrote:
I didn't get the email either.

I'm referring to an email weeks ago confirming receipt of my app, not a brand new email
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 740 Q52 V38
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 126

Premium Member
Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2013, 05:17
hailmary wrote:
sdd996 wrote:
On the application, in the Work Experience section, how are you guys approaching this short answer prompt:

Quote:
Please provide any additional information you feel will help us understand these career interests more fully. (150 words maximum)

Should this be treated as an extension of the general short-term goal mentioned in your essays? Or almost as a mini-essay in and of itself? I touched on career goals and why within the first essay.

I used it to talk about my short term goal. My Essay 1 was mostly about my passion for my long term goal.

Anyone else willing to share how they approached this short answer in terms of essay 1?

My review of some of the CAT practice exams
You can usually find me on gmatclub's chat.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '15

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2013, 12:15
This post received
KUDOS
Anyone in India receiving invites? Seems it is too too late now. :(
Expert Post
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 245

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2013, 07:48
Expert's post
Happy Thanksgiving, GC-ers!

R1s: The school is closed for Thanksgiving, so stop refreshing your inboxes/GC and go eat with your family! To non-US applicants, enjoy the time away from your inboxes too. I guess you could start refreshing again on Monday, December 2 if you really want to (eek! it's December already!!)...

R2s: Hopefully you have at least today off work to enjoy time with your family & friends. I know a lot of you are cramming in essay writing too, but do take a break if you can.

And one last plug before I go enjoy the holiday myself, start checking the events page (after Thanksgiving) as some more events will be coming your way soon :)

aerien

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 159 [1] , given: 13

Premium Member
Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2013, 11:51
This post received
KUDOS
Aerien, thanks for the advice. I'm a R1 applicant and I've already interviewed, and I logically know that I won't hear anything for another 2 weeks, but I've just become conditioned to obsessively checking this site.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone celebrating today!!

Fuqua Thread Master
Concentration: Nonprofit, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 48

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2013, 09:52
Does anyone know how Yale will notify us of decisions? Will all congratulatory calls all go out on December 9 or do they start a couple days before like some other schools do (is it possible that some will hear decisions *this* week)?

More thoughts at my blog: MBA the Nonprofit Way

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
GRE 1: 329 Q163 V166
GPA: 3.82

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 13

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2013, 11:24
This post received
KUDOS
From last year's thread, it appears that all GMATClub calls were received on the 12/13/12 decision date (+ or - 12 hours for international applicants). Also, for those wondering, it would appear that the New Haven area code is "203."
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Sustainability
GRE 1: 324 Q164 V160
GPA: 3.09
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 31

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2013, 12:47
Man, next Monday can't come soon enough! I just read through last year's post and my heart started racing and then dropping and then racing again. What a rollercoaster.

What's everyone doing to pass the time?

Forgot to say a big THANK YOU to those who posted some info about their interviews. Mine was also very focused on values and team experience and less about 'why do you want to get an mba?' So for those R2 and 3 interviewees, prep for many behavioral questions as well as how you work on a team. And as long as you have an idea of what you want to get out of an mba and where you see yourself after, you should be able to answer everything! Good luck!
Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!   [#permalink] 03 Dec 2013, 12:47