Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 02:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Yale '16, AGSM '16
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 22

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2014, 14:00
FYI for those having trouble with the video questions,

Thank you for your interest in the Yale School of Management. Our office closed at 5:00pm on Thursday, January 9. We will respond to your email as soon as possible when re-open on Friday, January 10.

If you are a Round 2 applicant and are having difficulty submitting your video question responses, please submit the rest of your application and we will provide you with instructions on January 10 on how to access the video questions. Please be assured that as long as you submit your application, you will be considered in Round 2 and that the timing of your video question responses will not affect your application in any way.

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: HEC '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
WE: Underwriter (Insurance)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 26

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2014, 23:50
ad209 wrote:
zat wrote:
Laksh2013 wrote:
Just finished my video questions. I don't have words to describe how bad it went. I got a little nervous and my pacing was incorrect. One of the questions, I had so much to talk and I don't think I put my actual point across properly. The last one, I didn't articulate very well why I disagreed with whatever statement was given in the question.

If I got to play back and view my responses, probably I could judge better how it looked on the video. Anyways, too late now. I am very disappointed. Yale is one of my favorite schools.

My advise to others would be - Stay calm people. The questions are very answerable. Pace well. If you are getting nervous, just go slow, breathe well and continue answering. 90 seconds may be too less for some answers. So, filter out everything that is not necessary and keep your answers simple.

Completely agree. Just finished my video questions. Didn't smile as much as I wanted to and went a bit off the track during the third question. Overall it was pretty average.
I did some research on the internet and noticed one thing.If I'm right, the first two questions are regarding your personal traits and the third question asks whether you agree or disagree with a statement.
Overall a smooth process. I was expecting technical glitches due to bad connectivity at my place but thankfully it went fine. :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Yes - my #2 was slightly different ... #1: personal trait, #2: how would you handle X situation, #3: statement agree/disagree

Aha! So I was almost right!

Just submitted my essays yesterday. In the final hour. .. phew! :D
All the best to everyone!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 740 Q52 V38
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 210 [1] , given: 129

Premium Member
Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2014, 05:51
This post received
KUDOS
P&Q has an article (with pictures!) on the new Edward P. Evans Hall.

http://poetsandquants.com/2014/01/10/th ... s-to-yale/

My review of some of the CAT practice exams
You can usually find me on gmatclub's chat.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2014, 07:17
So based on Round 1, does anyone know how long after the deadline it takes for Yale to get back to you if they are interested in an interview?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q V
GPA: 3.51

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2014, 07:46
Silencer wrote:
So based on Round 1, does anyone know how long after the deadline it takes for Yale to get back to you if they are interested in an interview?

Probably three weeks to a month.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 740 Q V0
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 10

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2014, 10:30
Submitted for Round 2!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2014, 17:46
Submitted after 5:00 PM est, and paid. It still says submitted round 2. I thought the 5:00pm deadline was just for the videos... did I just shoot myself in the foot, :shock: or the face :oops:
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 414 [4] , given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2014, 14:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Guys, the new building is AMAZING!!! That is all. :wave

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
GMAT 1: 740 Q V0
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 10

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2014, 14:48
Time to start praying for an interview invitation!

Posted from my mobile device Image
8 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 210 [8] , given: 129

Premium Member
Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2014, 08:00
This post received
KUDOS
Fun random stats whilst we wait for interview invites...

What are your chances of admission based on GMAT scores?

According to businessweek, last year there were 2825 applicants, 21% of whom were accepted. They were kind enough to publish breakdown of GMAT scores as shown:

We can this data to extrapolate and obtain odds of admission based on GMAT scores.

Remember to take this whole thing with a grain of salt! It's meant to be fun and meaningless.
Good luck everyone!

Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 1181

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 06:12
So, what are the expected dates for interview decisions to be released? Are they the same for international candidates as well? Thanks! :)

Dream On...

Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q V

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 07:47

Last edited by chessmaster1 on 18 Mar 2014, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 30

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 07:59
Thanks - useful to know!

Yale SOM has been tanking quite bit lately in magazine rankings despite unprecedented increase in average GMAT and GPA. Now that the new Evans Hall is complete, Yale has increased its class size as well. I hope the best for Yale as it is one of the few business schools that place emphasis on old/traditional qualities such as Leadership and Community/Non-profit instead of jumping on the entrepreneurship/tech/hip bandwagon (or maybe Yale SOM is just slow catching on I am not sure ;)
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 30

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 11:51
applebees wrote:
Thanks - useful to know!

Yale SOM has been tanking quite bit lately in magazine rankings despite unprecedented increase in average GMAT and GPA. Now that the new Evans Hall is complete, Yale has increased its class size as well. I hope the best for Yale as it is one of the few business schools that place emphasis on old/traditional qualities such as Leadership and Community/Non-profit instead of jumping on the entrepreneurship/tech/hip bandwagon (or maybe Yale SOM is just slow catching on I am not sure ;)

First, Yale SOM is NOT "tanking" in rankings.
Second, magazines are highly subjective in their opinion when they rank different business schools according to what any particular magazine deems important. if your priorities are 100% aligned with the criteria that magazines are using for their rankings, only then you can use these rankings as the guidelines for your decisions.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 30

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 12:04
Cossack wrote:
applebees wrote:
Thanks - useful to know!

First, Yale SOM is NOT "tanking" in rankings.
Second, magazines are highly subjective in their opinion when they rank different business schools according to what any particular magazine deems important. if your priorities are 100% aligned with the criteria that magazines are using for their rankings, only then you can use these rankings as the guidelines for your decisions.

I am not saying that magazines are accurate nor do I encourage people to use magazine rankings to make their MBA selection. I was just stating my observations.... (i.e. Economist and Forbes) Do I agree with these rankings... no but my observations nonetheless.

I am not even saying Yale is not good or anything.... I was actually trying to point out that despite noticeable improvements, it did not get the recognition the school deserves. I feel every time I mention ranking or anything remotely related, I offend someone regardless of my intention, my apologies if I did.
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 14:26
applebees wrote:
Thanks - useful to know!

Yale actually has already made the jump to entrepreneurship and tech. Case and point: our trek to the San Francisco Bay Area last week was joined by 130 current students. Yes, almost half of Yale SOM first years and a bunch of second years went out to visit start-ups, tech companies, and other wonderful places for a week. We send a lot of people to Bay Area tech firms after graduating and it's no surprise that all business schools have jumped on this bandwagon since what's hip is what business school students want to do.

I also wouldn't say that non-profit is a traditional quality in a b-school but I think I get your point about Yale changing its culture in a way that moves away from these qualities. My feeling is that this is not happening and the Dean has said as much to us, but there's certainly a curiosity as to how SOM will evolve over the next decade.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 414 [0], given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2014, 18:45
Expert's post
chessmaster1 wrote:
Do reapplicants interview if they interviewed last year?

Someone on GC last year was accepted after interviewing the year prior, but if you want 100% peace of mind, give the admissions office a call and clarify.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2014, 10:29
Just out of curiosity, has anyone gotten in R1 with just GRE scores? I'm beginning to worry about how Yale perceives them vs. the GMAT...
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 210 [1] , given: 129

Premium Member
Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2014, 10:33
This post received
KUDOS
4YawkeyWay wrote:
Just out of curiosity, has anyone gotten in R1 with just GRE scores? I'm beginning to worry about how Yale perceives them vs. the GMAT...

Yes, tinkered did. She's the only one from GC who has decided to matriculate thus far!
See the following post: 2014-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-162160.html#p1303030

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2014, 10:43
farful wrote:
4YawkeyWay wrote:

Yes, tinkered did. She's the only one from GC who has decided to matriculate thus far!

Good to know! That makes me feel better (and the fact that her scores were essentially identical to mine gives me hope!)
Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!   [#permalink] 16 Jan 2014, 10:43