Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 02:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 1

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 10:24
This post received
KUDOS
aerien wrote:
Campus Visit Info is here!

General info: http://som.yale.edu/schedule-campus-visit
Schedule Your Visit: http://som.yale.edu/our-programs/full-t ... pus-visits

Campus visits are currently available from September 16 to the first week of December. Be sure to sign up soon since space is limited (and you'll notice that campus visits are not offered every single week due to vacations, exams, etc).

If you have the time and means to do so, please consider visiting campus. If you do it before you submit your application, you'll gain a better sense of the SOM community and if you can see yourself being here for the next two years of your lives -- needless to say, you'll also have all sorts of experiences to draw upon for your application essays/interviews. You'll also get to check out the brand new building, which is slated to open in January!

New building pictures here: http://som.yale.edu/our-approach/edward ... -hall-news
Enjoy :)

Thanks Aerien! I've been waiting for them to post these. Just scheduled my visit and I'm in for Rd 1. Can't wait!
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 412 [2] , given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2013, 11:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
hailmary wrote:
aerien wrote:
And back to our regularly scheduled programming ... Any current applicants want to chime in on how your apps are coming along? Questions about life at SOM? Did machichi and I (and others) make the right choice? Ask away...

re applicant who was WLed in R3. 90% done with my essays - I am glad that Yale cut its essays down this year. makes re application a lot easier.

Why did the class size increased to 290 as opposed to planned 275?.... high yield? if that's true, then no WL movement makes sense.

How is consulting recruiting going to look like with this increased class size? Did career management address it during orientation? My only worry is that MBB or other top firms might not increase their quota of Yale students and getting offers is going to get harder.

PallMall wrote:
Aerien, Machichi, anything that has surprised you both thus far? Any particular highlights?

Good luck on the reapp, hailmary! Happy to say an old face still here ;)

As a student, I have no clue why the class size increased so much. That was something that really surprised me (to answer @PallMall's question). I can only assume that perhaps yield was higher than expected. And really, who wouldn't want to come to SOM?! For the waitlist, I do know a handful of people admitted from it, so there was some movement at least, though perhaps not enough to gain visibility on GC.

With increased class size, all recruiting, not just consulting, will see some effects. The Career Development Office is quite aware of the number of students in the Class of 2015 and is working hard to attract more companies to campus as well as to increase the interest in companies that already recruit on-campus. At this stage, I really wouldn't worry about that. If people at Yale seem to be headed in the direction you think interests you (and the culture, etc all fit with you too), then give Yale a shot. I don't think the careers center particularly focused on consulting recruiting numbers during Orientation -- everything was high-level since it was geared towards the entire class -- but MBB are all coming to campus this fall so the opportunities are definitely here.

Highlights so far -- to echo @machichi, our reception at the NYSE floor was absolutely a once in a lifetime experience. It was such a great opportunity and one where I felt really grateful to be at SOM and able to take advantage of the resources here. I've also explored some nooks and crannies of the Yale campus which are a bit off the beaten path of the typical campus tour (no disclosure though, I want you all to explore for yourselves!).

EDIT:
I remember someone asked about the use of emotional intelligence/EQ in the curriculum, as highlighted in a few news articles earlier this summer. We haven't gotten too far into it, but we have already started taking lots of quizzes that assess our priorities, decision-making, etc. I think everything will start to come full circle in about a month from now when we really delve into EQ topics in the Leadership Development Program. Looking forward to learning more about myself and my classmates though!

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Organizational Behavior, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.84
WE: Editorial and Writing (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 14 [4] , given: 12

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2013, 09:49
This post received
KUDOS
An online "application tips" chat led by Bruce DelMonico took place at noon today. They'll be posting the presentation on the website soon (if you're on the prospective student newsletter, you'll get a head's up), but I'll summarize some of the points I found most interesting from the presentation and the Q&A chat (which won't be archived).

Quant Skills
There was a lot of focus on this. Admissions will be looking through your undergraduate transcript and your work experience for quant-skills indicators, so if you don't have any, they recommend building an alternative transcript. It doesn't matter where you take the classes, as long as you're performing well. Your GMAT quant scores could also be used.

The five core quant competencies they're looking for are calculus, statistics, macroeconomics, accounting, and another one that I didn't catch. Stats and macroeconomics are especially key. They recommend that every student have a foundational understanding of each of those before they begin at SOM.

Although there are no formal cut-offs, for the GMAT, you should aim to be above the 60th percentile for quant. Bruce said that scores in the 70th percentile and higher would "put you in a stronger position." SOM admits/students skew higher on verbal.

GMAT/GRE Advice
Bruce says that it's not worth retaking the GMAT if you can't reasonably expect to score 40+ points higher.

A significant portion of current SOM students took the GMATs more than once. However, admissions thinks there are diminishing returns after 2-3 tests.

They are not going to look at IR scores very closely, or possibly at all. Since this portion of the test is so new, they're not sure how to evaluate it. (Woohoo!)

They do not weigh the GREs differently from the GMATs. There is no difference in rates of admissions for candidates submitting one or the other. However, Rebekah from admissions says that, "The only time we may suggest a GMAT over a GRE is if you have no quantitative familiarity at all (work experience, study, etc), as it may help us feel more comfortable with your quantitative skills."

General Application Advice
For the video answers, they're looking to see how well you communicate verbally and how articulate you are. However, they're not expecting perfection; they understand that with no opportunities to prepare for the questions (you'll get three, drawn from a randomized pool), your thoughts will not be fully formed. Two of the questions will be straightforward behaviorial questions, similar to what you would be asked at a job interview; the third will be a thought question, similar to the AWA section of the GMATs or the GRE writing sample. You should wear business casual.

Unless you have a huge amount of work experience and accomplishments, your resume should be one page. However, don't worry if the uploader splits it into two pages when you submit. Your resume should focus on full-time work experience. Use the activities portion of the application to discuss extracurricular involvements.

Bruce strongly recommends that you do not share your essays with your recommenders because if there is similar language in your essays and your recommendations, admissions will assume the worst (i.e., that you wrote your own recommendations).

They reduced the number of essays this year for two reasons: 1) to make room for the video answers; and 2) to encourage applicants to weigh essays equally with other application elements. Still, they recommend paying attention to your essays.

Don't hide your weaknesses; they will see them regardless. It's important to incorporate or contextualize them in your application, though; just be sure that you aren't leading with them.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 136 [1] , given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 09:16
This post received
KUDOS
Yale has posted its detailed class profile for C/O 2015. GMAT range went from 660-760 to 690-740 and the average GMAT went down from 717 to 714. Seems like lot less people have lower scores this year, and the ones who do, have very low scores.

http://som.yale.edu/our-programs/full-t ... ss-profile

Duke MBA Class of 2016

MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 22

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 11:32
@hailmary, the more interesting thing for us was that the class size went from 290 on 8/14 when they posted the Yale Welcomes New Students article, to 291 in the class profile that you linked to - some lucky waitlisted dog was celebrating recently!! Wonder what went into that decision.

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 14:18
essaysnark wrote:
@hailmary, the more interesting thing for us was that the class size went from 290 on 8/14 when they posted the Yale Welcomes New Students article, to 291 in the class profile that you linked to - some lucky waitlisted dog was celebrating recently!! Wonder what went into that decision.

Probably a current Yale grad student who walked over to the SOM building and won the Adcoms' heart over.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Duke MBA Class of 2016

3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Yale SOM - Class of 2015
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [3] , given: 2

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 18:55
This post received
KUDOS
Hello Guys,

I am happy introduce my self as a proud member of the Yale MBA Class of 2015. I can still remember exactly last year this time around how I was all over the place trying to figure what I want to achieve and where to pursue my MBA. I can proudly say this platform, with people like OhDenny, has played pivotal role to my admission into Yale SOM. Now its time for me to help my dear friends and prospective students for the class of 2016. So I am happy to provide my thoughts and "insider information" :P :D about the few of the amazing things that I saw in Yale in just 3 weeks of time which you think might be helpful for your major decision at this juncture in life.

Do feel free to drop in a PM or reply in this thread. I will get back to you ASAP and I will be checking the forum once a day to ensure I do not miss any questions from my friends in here. For what its worth, I am an international student so I can provide thoughts and answer questions for any international student specific questions.

- Yours Maxkrewl
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GMAT 2: Q0 V0
GPA: 3.5
WE: Account Management (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2013, 02:50
Does the GMAT score report needs to be sent in BEFORE the 25th September deadline?? I cannot find information about it anywhere on the YALE SOM website.
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2013, 05:48
HedgeWi wrote:
Does the GMAT score report needs to be sent in BEFORE the 25th September deadline?? I cannot find information about it anywhere on the YALE SOM website.

Usually they expect you to take the GMAT by the deadline, but I'm not sure when they hope to receive it by. It might vary by school. I'd suggest calling and asking.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41

Kudos [?]: 132 [1] , given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2013, 06:53
This post received
KUDOS
hailmary wrote:
essaysnark wrote:

Probably a current Yale grad student who walked over to the SOM building and won the Adcoms' heart over.

Posted from my mobile device Image

I can confirm that hailmary's guess is a true story. Not sure how many weeks ago it happened though! :)

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2013, 21:37
Expert's post
Only 2.5 weeks until the R1 deadline. Hope all your apps are coming along nicely!

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 32

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 06:51
aerien wrote:
Only 2.5 weeks until the R1 deadline. Hope all your apps are coming along nicely!

Adding myself to this forum. Like Hailmary, I too am a reapplicant (was waitlisted last year and then released from the WL with rd 2 folks).

Question for other applicants here - did anyone else receive an invite last week to the Yale SOM Dean's Webinar which is being held this week?
Current Student
GMAT 1: 620 Q40 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q46 V40

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 09:15
NYCFinanceGuy wrote:

Adding myself to this forum. Like Hailmary, I too am a reapplicant (was waitlisted last year and then released from the WL with rd 2 folks).

Question for other applicants here - did anyone else receive an invite last week to the Yale SOM Dean's Webinar which is being held this week?

Hey NYCFinanceGuy

Would you mind sharing your stats from last year? I received the invite for the webinar as well.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 10:33
NYCFinanceGuy wrote:
aerien wrote:

NYCFinanceGuy: Did you request and receive the feedback on your application? Was it helpful?

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 32

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 10:46
hailmary wrote:
NYCFinanceGuy wrote:
aerien wrote:

NYCFinanceGuy: Did you request and receive the feedback on your application? Was it helpful?

Nothing too helpful. They said my application was overall, very strong but that others simply presented a more compelling overall picture. That the decision for me was truly the result of a highly competitive applicant pool and limited space but that upside of this is that I am in a "good position to refine my application for the coming year."

How about yourself? Anything helpful?
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2013, 08:39
Anyone knows when do you have to complete the video interviews by? Do you have to do it before deadline?
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q42 V41
GMAT 3: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.55

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 3

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2013, 08:44
You don't need to complete it before the deadline. Once you submit your application, you will get an email with instructions for the video, which will include how long you have to do it. I haven't submitted yet, so I am not 100% sure of exactly how long you have to do it. Is there anyone who has already submitted and received this email that can chime in?

quincyliao wrote:
Anyone knows when do you have to complete the video interviews by? Do you have to do it before deadline?
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2013, 08:46
jpd5044 wrote:
You don't need to complete it before the deadline. Once you submit your application, you will get an email with instructions for the video, which will include how long you have to do it. I haven't submitted yet, so I am not 100% sure of exactly how long you have to do it. Is there anyone who has already submitted and received this email that can chime in?

quincyliao wrote:

Thank you! Great. I am on vacation right after deadline so I just hope I have more than a week to do it! Haha../
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2013, 09:27
jpd5044 wrote:

quincyliao wrote:

I haven't submitted either, but this was from a recent interview with Bruce DelMonico, the Director of Admissions:

"This year, for the first round, people will submit their application and then they will be invited to complete the video questions. They will have a short time, probably a week or so, to do that."
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Organizational Behavior, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.84
WE: Editorial and Writing (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 12

Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2013, 10:06
sdd996 wrote:
jpd5044 wrote:

quincyliao wrote:

I haven't submitted either, but this was from a recent interview with Bruce DelMonico, the Director of Admissions:

"This year, for the first round, people will submit their application and then they will be invited to complete the video questions. They will have a short time, probably a week or so, to do that."

You guys are going to post your interview questions here, to help out all your forum buddies, right? :-D
Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2013, 10:06