Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:51 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.34
WE:Research (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
PSA for the last weekend before the R1 deadline:

Proofread your essays. Make sure your essay says "Yale" and not some other program's name. Remind your recommenders to submit their letters if they haven't done so already.

And most importantly, take a moment to breathe. You'll all get through this!

Happy to answer any last minute questions or be a sounding board for any happiness, sadness, or stress coming from the application submitting process.

*Note: I am in no way connected to adcom. Anything I say or advice I happen to offer is just my opinion and bears zero weight in your chances of being admitted, waitlisted, or dinged.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Kudos
Hey all - I've been sorely remiss in updating my blog, but I finally have a new post. It's a pretty brief overview of the past month of school, but hopefully now that I'm catching up on life, I'll be posting more regularly!

Hope to see many of you when you come for interviews over the next few months!
Board of Directors
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pjaseem wrote:
Can anyone confirm whether the video questions need to be uploaded before the dead line ? I have submitted my application but did not receive the links to the video questions yet.

jpd5044 wrote:
You don't need to complete it before the deadline. Once you submit your application, you will get an email with instructions for the video, which will include how long you have to do it. I haven't submitted yet, so I am not 100% sure of exactly how long you have to do it. Is there anyone who has already submitted and received this email that can chime in?

quincyliao wrote:
Anyone knows when do you have to complete the video interviews by? Do you have to do it before deadline?

The video portion is new this year for R1, and I would wait until the adcom reaches out to you to set it up. I don't know specific dates, but if you are worried about it, just call the admissions office to ask. They will at least give you a better sense of what to expect.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
Based on what adcom told me during my class visit, some applicants will get interview invites starting today....most likely folks with very strong "data points"....3.8+/750+. Good Luck all.

Also, P&Q had an interview with Bruce this month. It's amazing how transparent he is about the whole process - loved his interview. Bruce is simply awesome...
https://poetsandquants.com/2013/09/05/th ... anagement/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GPA: 3.2
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Just completed the video interviews. To echo others, it is a little awkward talking to a computer in a room by yourself. I kept convincing myself that I was rambling and to slow down. Overall, pretty straight forward. Definitely makes you realize how important something as simple as a person nodding their head and making eye contact with you is to keeping your thoughts organized.

Now we play the waiting game...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q800 V720
Send PM
Kudos
I always thought I was a good presenter... but if any of the Yale adcom visits this site, please take some of our feedbacks seriously... Don't roll out something that is not technologically mature...

So, I took the video interviews... the first two were choppy, but I could at least get the questions... the third one was so choppy that the cutoffs totally ruined my mood, and added up the stress level...

Talked to the support, and they claimed that I had a choppy connection... but I was quite sure my connection worked like a charm. The streaming was fast, but the video played like crap... anyways, I completed my videos, and no more complaints...

One tip to all of you, there are texts of the questions during the 20 sec waiting time in case the videos are choppy, which I totally missed it cz' I concentrated on what to talk about...
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 620 Q40 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q46 V40
Send PM
Kudos
I submitted my video questions today. I think I did fairly well. I knew the webcam aspect would generate some nerves so I prepared by having a friend ask me random popular interview questions while I recorded my responses via webcam. Today I warmed up with a few more interview questions and jumped right into the Yale interview. Since my mind was accustomed to the random question element as well as the time constraint I knew I'd at least avoid being stumped by the awkwardness of the moment.

The questions were fairly straightforward and the first one was actually really fun. When I visited Yale, a member of the adcom addressed the video question section. His advice was to stay away from canned generic answers that aren't indicative of your personality and to really give them a glimpse into who you really are (obviously you must stay professional). Good luck to all!!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
WE:Project Management (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Just finished my interview and I agree with some of the comments above. It was weird trying to get the right camera angle, not trying to look at the timer but being aware of it, and not having anyone to make eye contact with.
Lucky for me though I didnt have any issues with the connection...was surprised I managed to stay within 90s for 2 questions but sort of had to rush through 1 question to wrap up at the end.
The questions themselves were very straightforward, I'm not gonna post them cos no one else has and not sure if that breaks any rules of the forum but i can tell you they throw no curve balls. The last one which was a random question was just your opinion on a topic so dont stress too much about it. Good luck to everyone thats done it and a few who are yet to complete it...just stay calm and you'll be fine
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
WE:Project Management (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
dyaffe55 wrote:
Completed the video questions this morning. Questions were generally straightforward, but I found it awkward to watch myself on video real time... it sort of threw me off. Overall I'm neutral about my performance.

I'm with you mate, I'm just trying hard not to think about my responses right now. In hindsight, I feel like I should've paced myself better, or wrapped up a response differently...but yeh I think I would interview much better if it were with a real person.
I feel like there may be a few delays in the decision days atleast for R1 if every adcom member has to evaluate the video component combined with the rest of the application...u know what that means-- more time to obsess over things we cant control:?
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Not much time to go before the video interview deadline. I have to say I enjoyed this experience quite a bit. Some feedback below.

a) Do not leave it till the end to complete. You could run into technical issues.
b) 90 secs is a lot of time, so do not panic.
c) Do not forget to switch off your mobile and put it somewhere else :-).

Takeaway for me - It is much less stressful than we imagine in our minds it would be. Just apply your wits and you will be fine.

Good Luck to those who are yet to complete it!
Board of Directors
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bruce just posted details on what happens to your application once you hit "submit". Hopefully you guys get the golden ticket soon!

https://som.yale.edu/director-admissions ... pplication
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Sustainability
GRE 1: Q164 V160
GPA: 3.09
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Just got invited to interview!!! :-D :-D :-D Anyone else going to campus for it?? So excited!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.18
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
I just got invited too, it feels great.
Board of Directors
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pandazyp wrote:
hey guys, can the interview be scheduled to Sat? don't wanna call in sick, my boss is gonna pissed.

Most interviews for SOM are conducted during the week, since the visit includes not just your interview, but also a class visit, campus tour, etc. The only exceptions I've heard of are some "super days" during R2 to accommodate the sheer volume of applicants/interviewees.

If you cannot make any of the available dates open to you in the scheduling system, reach out to admissions. They are more than happy to accommodate with Skype interviews if you have situations that make it difficult for you to come to campus. And fear not, if you elect to interview over the internet, it will not impact your chance of acceptance ---- just make sure, you have a real reason for not coming to campus and are not just trying to make it easier on yourself (not directed at you panda, just a general statement). Interviewing on-campus gives you a really great sense of the campus and the community you will be joining, and I think it helps a lot when it comes time to make the actual decision of which school to attend!
Board of Directors
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jayakalyanteja wrote:
Is there a certain pattern in which the interview invites went out ? I get that we should probably be waiting until first week of Nov, but I'm just worried if the order in which they are sending out invites is the order of strength of the application. Any non-US applicant who got an invite ?

No pattern at all. I know it's hard not to but try not to read into it. There's no rhyme or reason...an invite is an invite and that's all there is to it. Once you get that ticket, just be sure to wow them!

Good luck with the wait. It's really hard now but once that email comes (and it will), you'll know the wait was worth it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 45
Schools: Yale '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
Just got my interview invite for next week! Very relieved to finally hear something :D

I'm an international applicant & SOM is having an admissions info event in my city next week, so it looks like the adcom members are also conducting interviews while they're in town.
Board of Directors
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Gianfranco2014 wrote:
Random question to the forum:

what is the deadline for the deposit once you are admitted for round 1?

The RD1 decision deadline is Dec-9 ... so I was wondering how long students have to secure their spot by sending a deposit. Appreciate any info on this! Is not on the site (that i am aware of)

This is really early for this question, so I think you're trying to hedge your bets with other R1 schools or even R2 schools ;)

Last year, I believe R1 deposts were due March 1st. We heard back December 13/14 or so and there was a welcome weekend for admitted students in late January or early February. Not sure if the date will stay the same this year, so look out for more details once you get the call!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  50   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts