Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 11:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 13

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 07:58
Any current SOM students checking this thread? I am going to be in New Haven on 12/12 and would love to chat with someone for 10-15 mins if possible. I know it is finals week, but if you do have any availability that Monday I can meet you wherever.

PM me please.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 80

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2011, 11:12
A tiplet for those interviewing this week:

I had my off-campus interview with an alumna last week, and it was a very good experience. She was friendly, and seemed very interested in me and what I was doing. However, as soon as it was time to start the interview, she was all business, and took out her phone to set it for 30 minutes (22 mins for 7 interview questions, and the remaining 8 minutes for my own questions). I'd heard from a friend who also interviewed Round 1 that this was the case for her on-campus interview. It was slightly jarring, but I'm very glad I was warned ahead of time.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2011, 18:04
Inside Yale SOM's Admissions Office - What happens when you click that "submit" button?

Yale School of Management (SOM) Admissions Director Bruce DelMonico - Once applicants submit applications on our online application platform, we ensure that the applications are complete by adding to them any supplemental information or materials that were submitted by the applicants separately. Once an application is verfied to be complete, we send it out to reads. Most of the applications receive two independent reviews by different members of our Admissions Committee.

It may be noted that the applications are read in random order and, as a result, candidates can be invited to interview at any time in a particular round. Candidates can also be invited to interview at any point in the admissions process – whether early in the round after a preliminary review of the file or later in the round after a first or second reviews (or, in some cases, after coming to the Admissions Committee). ... read more

Last edited by bizschoolprep on 29 Dec 2011, 02:12, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q V0
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 08:34
with 10 days to go for final decision, im burrying my interview hopes NOW
UCLA Thread Master
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 76

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 09:33
Hi Yale SOM applicants! FYI if you're applying through the Consortium Graduate Study in Management (CGSM), hop over to the Consortium 2012 Forum and Update Your Profile to reflect that you are applying through the Consortium.

It's simple. Just select your school as "Consortium, the", then indicate which specific institution(s) you'll be applying to and the Consortium round you'll be applying in. You can do all of this easily through the handy 'Add to Your Schools' link on the front page of the Consortium 2012 Forum.

We have a special analytics specifically for those candidates applying via Consortium and lots of useful tips for your application and assessment of your candidacy.

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 11:35
anyone go to the interviews yesterday or today? met some of the candidates and had my interview. hoping to hear good news in 9 days but doubtful.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.58
WE: Design (Other)

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 13:02
This post received
KUDOS
Just finished my interview yesterday and wanted to post an update for those of you who might be curious. Here are my thoughts on my visit.
• The reputation seems to hold true. SOM students are indeed diverse and approachable. I felt very welcomed.
• The interview itself was very warm and friendly. Questions covered my resume in some detail and included a couple of behavioral questions ("Tell me about a time when you did...." "What was the most significant....") this sort of thing. It was clear that my interviewer chose behavioral questions based on potential concerns with my resume. I was impressed with that. For example, I come from a no-name undregrad school, so we talked about that, and as an entrepreneur I'm used to being in charge, so we talked about how I hold up on a team... That sort of thing.
• Overall, I'd say I was highly impressed with my interviewer. His questions were well chosen and discerning. He was articulate and to the point, but not at all pretentious. Considering the fact that he was a second year student, this was all the more impressive.
• The current facilities are a bit dated. Charming in their way, but dated. The classroom itself was just a bit on the pitiful side. Of course, this will change in '13 with the new facility.
• I definitely recommend reaching out to students - try to set up some coffee chats. If possible, do these before your interview (perhaps a day or two before). You never know what bit of worthwhile info you'll find.
• New Haven, I found, was just a bit gritty. Had dinner with some locals and heard all sorts of horror stories. This doesn't bother me, but if you are expecting a sleepy little ivy-league town (Hannover, maybe) you are going to be surprised.

I guess that's all I have to say. Acceptance letters come soon. I'm definitely anxious. I'd love to join the SOM community.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 13:07
Just realized I didn't mention the professors or the class visit. I was impressed there as well. I sat in on one of the integrated curriculum classes that are part of the first year core. It's a whole different animal, but it does seem to be very effective. I enjoyed it.

Also, we had a question and answer time, and one of the professors sat in on that. Again, intelligent, approachable, insightful, entertaining, charming, and all sorts of other good things.

All said, the whole trip was worthwhile and enjoyable. I believe that SOM is underrated, and that with Dean Snyder at the helm and a new facility on the way, we're going to see some real shifts in the rankings over the next few years.
Manager
Manager

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 08:53
Do you think admissions will call this year, like they did last year? And think they will call 2 days before the deadline?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 09:17
Most likely they will call.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 16:20
curandom8 wrote:
Do you think admissions will call this year, like they did last year? And think they will call 2 days before the deadline?

Unless you are on the other side of the world, all admitted students will receive a phone call.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 07:40
Anyone got any updates on their applications and/or interviews? Nervously waiting until Tuesday - that's when the Class of 2013 applicants started getting the calls.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 08:55
curandom8 wrote:
Anyone got any updates on their applications and/or interviews? Nervously waiting until Tuesday - that's when the Class of 2013 applicants started getting the calls.

You sure aren't alone. I once read that SOM accepts about 40% of interviewed applicants - certainly less than other programs. Emotionally at least, I think we've all got a lot riding on this. I certainly do. Good luck everyone.
Manager
Manager

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 09:08
Nails, literally bitten down to the quick. Eyeballs beginning to pop out due to blog-reading eye strain. That said, I'm having the most fun of my life!
Manager
Manager

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 09:11
NeilKC wrote:
curandom8 wrote:

You sure aren't alone. I once read that SOM accepts about 40% of interviewed applicants - certainly less than other programs. Emotionally at least, I think we've all got a lot riding on this. I certainly do. Good luck everyone.

I read (on Yale SOM's website) that 60% of interviewed applicants are typically accepted. It would be a bummer to be in the minority not accepted.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2011, 00:57
Hi all,

I have problems with this essays question:

4. The intentions of our students to engage in a broad-minded business school community and to connect to an eminent and purposeful university greatly influences the Yale MBA experience. How do you plan to be involved in the Yale SOM and greater Yale communities as a student?

How do you answer this question?

Thank you.
Manager
Manager

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2011, 06:28
TrueLie wrote:
Hi all,

4. The intentions of our students to engage in a broad-minded business school community and to connect to an eminent and purposeful university greatly influences the Yale MBA experience. How do you plan to be involved in the Yale SOM and greater Yale communities as a student?

Thank you.

This is part "How much research have you done on SOM?" and "How do you see yourself fitting in here?" This is where you talk about the things you liked when you visited campus, or the things that current students and alumni have told you that really make you excited about going there. Speaking about clubs, about curriculum, about opportunities, and specifically what kinds of roles you'd like to take.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2011, 06:32
TrueLie wrote:
Hi all,

Thank you.

This is a question where you should tell how would you contribute while showcasing your knowledge about the resources and activities available at Yale SOM.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2013

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 13

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2011, 08:56
bizschoolprep wrote:
TrueLie wrote:
Hi all,

Thank you.

This is a question where you should tell how would you contribute while showcasing your knowledge about the resources and activities available at Yale SOM.

May I add - this questions appears to be written by Dean Snyder - any innovative idea of collaboration with the greater Yale community will get you extra points - put your entrepreneurial hats on and come up with something creative and doable!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 286

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2011, 10:11
OhDenny wrote:
TrueLie wrote:
Hi all,

Thank you.

This is part "How much research have you done on SOM?" and "How do you see yourself fitting in here?" This is where you talk about the things you liked when you visited campus, or the things that current students and alumni have told you that really make you excited about going there. Speaking about clubs, about curriculum, about opportunities, and specifically what kinds of roles you'd like to take.

I quite like the way this question is framed. I think what the question is asking, in essence, is "Why Yale?".

Net Impact's BUSINESS AS UNUSUAL Guide - a must-read!

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014)   [#permalink] 10 Dec 2011, 10:11