Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 23:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
5 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 685 [5] , given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2011, 10:26
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Yale School of Management Business School

Yale Business School Guide

Why you should consider YSOM:
calling-all-fall-2010-yale-som-applicants-80450.html#p604003
everything-yale-som-99756.html

Friendly YSOM Students Answering Q's in This Thread:
shadowsjc
nink
MoS

Application Essays & Deadlines

Prior Year's Yale SOM threads:
calling-all-fall-2011-yale-som-applicants-95625.html
calling-all-fall-2010-yale-som-applicants-80450.html
calling-all-yale-som-2009-applicants-75332.html#p496413

Class of 2010 Summer Internship Review
calling-all-fall-2010-yale-som-applicants-80450.html?view-post=654261#p654261

Yale SOM Admissions Forum:
http://som-talks.som.yale.edu/forums/

Employment Report:
http://mba.yale.edu/careers/employment/index.shtml

Class of 2008 FT Employment /Class of 2009 Summer Internship Stats:
http://mba.yale.edu/careers/employment/salary.shtml

Latest Class Student Profile for Class of 2011:
calling-all-fall-2010-yale-som-applicants-80450-20.html#p615414

Businessweek Best & Worst Job Placement: Yale #1
http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/10 ... ment/2.htm

Add Your Name to the List

Yale Applicant Summary (Real Time)

Quick Glance: GMAT Club vs. Latest Intake (Class of 2013)

Application Tracker Feed

Detailed Applicant List: Add Yourself to This List (add Yale SOM to your profile)

GMAT Club's Real-time Admissions Statistics

Add Your Profile to This List
Questions about this Roll Call?

Last edited by bb on 20 Dec 2011, 18:54, edited 6 times in total.
Roll Call
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V51
GPA: 3.6
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 21 [5] , given: 3

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 13:00
This post received
KUDOS
TheSenator wrote:
Joel, thanks for your insights. Did you think there was anything (or is anything) specifically related to Yale SOM that absolutely needs to be tied into answers? I'm interviewing here in the next week so I'm hoping you can shed some light. Thanks.

At the end of the day, it's all about fit. This is true of all interviews for all schools (or jobs for that matter). Very little of what you say makes or breaks the interview, it's mostly a gut thing on the interviewer's part. Substance is on your app already, so the interview is about style. Just make sure to project the right vibe. Eye-contact. Body language. Be engaging. Don't be a weirdo. Don't come off like a savant with no social skills or a gunner who everybody hates when he opens his mouth in class, etc. The basic question an interviewer has in mind while you're in the room is "would I want this person in a study group with me?" The answer to that question makes up about 80% of the interview's outcome.

That said, for specific tips, make sure you know your "why Yale" answers, and how to pepper those answers into your response to whatever question you are nominally being asked. As someone else on this board once said, if you can manage to bring up multiple specific characteristics you love about the school (stuff you can't learn from the website of course), your interview was a success. This is your mission. I noticed after the fact that there was no point at which the interview explicitly asked me the "why Yale" question, so I was glad that I worked it in to other answers. These interviews go fast, so you have to make your own opportunities. I ended a couple different answers with "which ties back into why I'm so interested in SOM in particular..." If I'd waited to be prompted for "why Yale" stuff, the interview could well have been over before I could show off how deeply I'd researched the school and without my underscoring all of those crucial "fit" intangibles.
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Yale '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [3] , given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2011, 00:16
This post received
KUDOS
Extremely shocked to have received Yale's acceptance email because I didn't receive any interview invite this round! I am a reapplicant from Asia with brief background below-

- 1st application: Jan-2011; Interview: Feb-2011; Waitlisted till Jul-2011
- 2nd application: Oct-2011; No interview
- Education: Undergrad in Canada- GPA 3.6
- GMAT: 700 (Q:49, V:37, AWA:6)
- W/E: Big 4 < 1 yr; Corporate Banking 5 yrs from Management Trainee

I would like to pay my big THANK YOU to the advises & support from friends I have met on this forum :)

TIPS FOR WAITLISTED CANDIDATES:

1) Send an email within the 1st week to the WL manager to ask questions to make sure you know the WL rules well. For example, when and how they would assess WL candidates from now on? On rolling basis or in a batch after some time?

2) Send your Letter of Interest say latest by January end. During my own WL, I was advised to send the LoI in at least 1-2 weeks before the Depsoit Deadline of Admits.

3) Ask for more recommendation letters, especially from graduates of Yale or peers schools. I provided 3 more recommendations during my WL.

4) Don't send them more than 1 email update per month, but try to send one at least every 6 weeks. Content of updates I sent included: deepened understanding on Yale SOM after chat with current students, job promotion and job change.

The wait is always painful... and I say this from my own experience. But please don't give up and show your consistency. Best of luck to all those still waiting!!
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Real Estate
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [2] , given: 7

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2011, 06:11
This post received
KUDOS
NeilKC wrote:
Just got an invite. I'm a non-traditional, for those who are interested. Designer. Entrepreneur. No-name undergrad school. Average GPA. Decent GMAT.

I got to say, I'm thrilled. I am no rock-star. There's hope for the rest of you. Hold on!

3.58 is not an "average" GPA and a 760 is not a "decent" GMAT. Which no-name undergrad school did you attend, Princeton??
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 685 [2] , given: 548

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 16:44
This post received
KUDOS
tranceparent wrote:

However, playing devil's advocate, wouldn't it be detrimental to take control of the interview in order to run through your own agenda? The way I see it, the Adcom/2nd Year is conducting your interview, so let them ask the questions they are curious about. After all they are trying to assess your fit with SOM (among other things), so they probably have their own mental checklist they want to go through.

Thoughts?

I think you are misinterpreting what I've said above.

When I say that you should take control of the interview, I don't mean that you should break the structure and conduct the interview the way you want to. What I mean is that when you go to the interview and simply answer their questions, the control is still with the interviewer. You don't know what they might ask so if you want them to know A,B,C,D,E, and F about you, you may not even get that chance because they might simply want to know about X,Y, and Z.

Go in to the interview with a checklist of things that you want to communicate (sort of like an arsenal/repertoire). Know them by heart. When the interviewer asks about M, while answering M, see if you can incorporate A, and B when answering about M.

For example,

If M = "Why Yale?"
and
A = "I am a team-player and well-liked"
B = "I have a wealth of experience and I am a good communicator + teacher"

Your answer to M (Why Yale) question may be:
"Yale is a perfect school for me because BLAH BLAH BLAH..........etc. When I visited before, I noticed how tight the entire YSOM community is when interacting with one another. It's not about competing against one another, but helping each other to evolve as a professional and also as a person. I am a team player and I am well liked by my colleagues. Using the wealth of experience from my previous jobs, I can share what I know with my classmates and learn from them as well. I am a good communicator and I enjoy sharing my knowledge with the others. To me, that's what YSOM is and that's why I want to be here this coming Fall."

Bottomline, go in with a list of things that you want to say during the interview (things that you want to communicate during the interview). Then incorporate them while you are answering what's being asked. When you communicate everything that you want to communicate before the interview is over, you've accomplished the purpose of the interview from your stand-point.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.58
WE: Design (Other)

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 13:02
This post received
KUDOS
Just finished my interview yesterday and wanted to post an update for those of you who might be curious. Here are my thoughts on my visit.
• The reputation seems to hold true. SOM students are indeed diverse and approachable. I felt very welcomed.
• The interview itself was very warm and friendly. Questions covered my resume in some detail and included a couple of behavioral questions ("Tell me about a time when you did...." "What was the most significant....") this sort of thing. It was clear that my interviewer chose behavioral questions based on potential concerns with my resume. I was impressed with that. For example, I come from a no-name undregrad school, so we talked about that, and as an entrepreneur I'm used to being in charge, so we talked about how I hold up on a team... That sort of thing.
• Overall, I'd say I was highly impressed with my interviewer. His questions were well chosen and discerning. He was articulate and to the point, but not at all pretentious. Considering the fact that he was a second year student, this was all the more impressive.
• The current facilities are a bit dated. Charming in their way, but dated. The classroom itself was just a bit on the pitiful side. Of course, this will change in '13 with the new facility.
• I definitely recommend reaching out to students - try to set up some coffee chats. If possible, do these before your interview (perhaps a day or two before). You never know what bit of worthwhile info you'll find.
• New Haven, I found, was just a bit gritty. Had dinner with some locals and heard all sorts of horror stories. This doesn't bother me, but if you are expecting a sleepy little ivy-league town (Hannover, maybe) you are going to be surprised.

I guess that's all I have to say. Acceptance letters come soon. I'm definitely anxious. I'd love to join the SOM community.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V51
WE: Other (Other)

Kudos [?]: 21 [2] , given: 3

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 08:46
This post received
KUDOS
piquant777 wrote:
I have also been invited to interview, R2. I checked back to R1 in the thread but didn't really see interview advice...the ClearAdmit Wiki has been helpful though in looking at past questions.

One question I had was about the standard "Walk me through your resume." Is that seriously all they ask, and then leave it to you to answer however you like? Are you supposed to just pick 3-4 things that stand out in your experience and highlight them for the interviewer? Or are they going to ask you about certain items on the resume themselves? In other words, how much control do you usually get over this section?

Thanks!

My interview started with the "walk me through" along with the note that they're most interested in transitions, why you made the choices you did, etc. In essence, they want to hear about the white space in between each position on your resume. Rather than a recitation of your resume like "at company X I achieved Y in Z, which boosted A by B percent," they're looking more for "After working at Company X for a couple of years, I found myself getting really interested in Y, so I began to look for opportunities to orient my career toward Z."

After that part, which had a couple minor follow-up questions but was mainly me telling the story, I got the "why MBA" question and the "what have you done to prepare for an MBA" question (that one is legit because I come from a Humanities undergrad). Though it's a blind interview, the interviewer had clearly been given some areas to zoom in on. For example, I currently work in a family business in a somewhat niche industry. Post-MBA I'd like to come back to that industry in a different capacity at a different level. My interviewer probed a bit further on "Why MBA" than she would have in most cases because it's a good question: my industry isn't one where an MBA is compulsory, so can't I just basically network my way up? Why an MBA, and specifically why a Yale MBA? Solid question, and it gave me a chance to tag some of my "why Yale" bases (SOM happens to be exceedingly well-suited to my niche industry). She also asked me for an anecdote involving teamwork, since there's a lot of leadership and personal drive stuff on my resume but fewer examples highlighting how I work in a group. All this indicates to me that she had some notes in front of her written by someone who had been through my file, even if she hadn't read it herself.

Also, I don't think my interviewer timed me, or if she did she was very discreet about it. I do remember noticing that we ran a bit long (35 or 40 minutes, when everything I had read was that on-campus interviews are 30 minutes on the dot), though we did spend at least 5 minutes at the end chit-chatting about life in New Haven.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [2] , given: 80

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2012, 10:35
This post received
KUDOS
For those still waiting for R2 invites, in R1, we really did have invites that went all the way to a week before the notification deadline. But one thing you may want to do is just check your status once a week. I've noticed that Yale's e-mails get spammed by my mailserver more often than other schools, (after I got in, I never received their FinAid e-mail, though it went to everyone), so you may have inadvertently missed an invite. I was invited in the first week of invitations, but didn't know until they'd sent me a follow-up e-mail nearly a month later asking why I hadn't scheduled an interview. When I called them in a panic, they assured me that this actually happened to a good number of people, which is why they send individualized follow-ups. That said, I could have found out much sooner, (and saved a lot of angst), if I'd checked my status on the appsite (which said 'Invited'). I guess I didn't because I didn't want to be 'that guy', as it were.

Any rate - don't know if this will make anyone feel better, or just go crazy, but wanted to put it out there.
2 KUDOS received
Tuck Thread Master
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V46
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.49
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 50 [2] , given: 85

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2012, 11:17
This post received
KUDOS
snipes wrote:
wpye86 wrote:
R u sure they will review all the applications all together on the deadline?

not to be a dick, but i have a hard time seeing someone who isn't aware of their published application review guidelines putting in an application good enough to be accepted in the final round.

Maybe he hasn't looked at their application review guidelines? Not all schools are the same and what may seem clear to you, may not be to someone else. Besides, everyone's unique strengths lay in different areas.

In either case, there's only one way to find out. I'm all about giving things a shot, no matter how improbable.

Glad I Retook: 730 (Q44 V46) to 760 (Q50 V44)

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 18 [2] , given: 2

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 11:03
This post received
KUDOS
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 11:03
This post received
KUDOS
azsamanta wrote:
fountain12 wrote:
azsamanta wrote:
But the big time question: Has the party started?

Yes, got a call a few minutes ago. I'm in the EST in the US. Thrilled and honored to be invited to join the class of 2014.

Best of luck to those waiting.

Congratulations!!!!! Did you receive email as well?

No email, just a call.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 11:13
This post received
KUDOS
I'm in, stoked beyond belief.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: 328 Q168 V160
GPA: 3.9

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 11:24
This post received
KUDOS
Got the call half an hour ago. In for Silver Scholar programme, I'm an international applicant from London. So yes, they call!!!!
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 11:29
This post received
KUDOS
Not sure if I misspoke, but I interviewed in January.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
GPA: 3.84

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 11:36
This post received
KUDOS
Just got in ! With money :-D

From LatAm
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: 760 Q49 V45

Kudos [?]: 12 [2] , given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 11:40
This post received
KUDOS
Just got a VM saying they had good news...I assume that means a ding
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Completed all CFA exams
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Yale - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.57
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [2] , given: 3

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 11:43
This post received
KUDOS
I'm in. I got the call a little over an hour ago.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
GPA: 3.5
WE: General Management (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 9 [2] , given: 19

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2012, 10:01
This post received
KUDOS
Interesting read from Yale Daily News- talks about alums being unhappy with the move towards a more "traditional business school", Dean Snyder (highest paid Dean at Yale), and some school history.

Good to get a Yale community perspective on the SOM.

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2012/ ... -identity/
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [2] , given: 80

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 15 May 2012, 06:03
This post received
KUDOS
RR2010 wrote:
change Topic.!

Have the Dings started to arrive ? Looks like a Ding for me . - No call so far me, even though Yale Claims that Interviews are given until the last day of admission decision, which is a few days away.

I agree with one other poster here - that an MBA program has also to be ranked based on an MBA applicant's user experience.

Best, y'all
R

Thanks for the subject change - civility is more productive!

The Dings will probably go out on the day-of. For other rounds, nearly all of the admits were calls placed on the day-of, with the Ding/Waitlist e-mails coming at the end of business. In one or two cases, there were interview invites that went to remaining applicants on the day-of, but I'm not sure these would happen for Round 3.

Hope this is helpful!
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 685 [1] , given: 548

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2011, 14:42
This post received
KUDOS
rryyaann22 wrote:
I read somewhere that Yale SOM class size is expanding 30% starting with class of 2014. I couldn't find any more info on it. Does anyone know if this is true?

They had plans to increase the class size (gradually) for awhile now. It will expand based on few factors (if they do happen) such as increase in Yale Silver Scholars program, completion of new facilities (so increased size in class can be accommodated without issues), etc.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014)   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2011, 14:42