Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 19:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 2

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 13:06
This post received
KUDOS
Just got an interview invite - first of the season

Wooo
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 15

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 13:30
This post received
KUDOS
OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE! I was invited for interview!

Ok, deep breath

Will I be in disadvantage if I can't go to an on-campus interview? (I am an international prospective)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 12

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 15:01
This post received
KUDOS
Best of luck with your interviews everyone!!!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [1] , given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 15:31
This post received
KUDOS
ttn7p wrote:
LOL, so true. Have you decided which school you'll attend?

From what I've noticed, Yale SOM is attracting more students, so perhaps it's 20%+ is in terms of number of applications. I wonder if the new building might also contribute something to that? Whomever that posted the 20%+ should just clarify since we're all speculating!

I had a call with a current student at Yale last night that all but had me handing my deposit over! Every interaction I've had with Yale students has been immensely positive.

On the Kellogg front, I have an admit student event on Thursday and a call on Friday with a current student, so we'll see if things change...I've said this elsewhere, but Kellogg has a lot of catching up to do.

The building certainly isn't hurting! I hate to say that it's a draw for me. Does that make me superficial? :lol:

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.71
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 07:20
This post received
KUDOS
Just had my interview over Skype with a 2nd year student. It went really well! He was very easy to speak to, and the 30 minutes zoomed by as the interview turned into an informative, friendly conversation about what sets Yale apart. He asked very standard questions:

- Walk through your resume
- Talk about a leadership role you were particularly proud of
- Talk about a time you received push-back when working on a project
- Talk about a time there was a set-back during a project you were working on and things fell behind. (He joked about how b-school applicants tend to be type As who don't like this question, but as a current Peace Corps volunteer, I had plenty of examples to draw from.)
- Why business school?
- Why Yale?
- How do you want to get involved on campus?

Props to Yale for not throwing out obnoxious curve ball questions!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 4

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 18:08
This post received
KUDOS
aerien wrote:
Link?

Posted from my mobile device Image

http://video.yale.edu/video/dan-cam-han ... mmencement
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 11:43
This post received
KUDOS
Applied for R2 on Jan 8 and haven't heard anything since then. A little nervous now...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 79

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 20:19
This post received
KUDOS
This is a little bit late, but after reading a certain blog post today, I thought I'd come here to publicly welcome @machichi and @skm to the SOM family! Congrats on being the first 2 GMATClubbers to matriculate. Looking forward to seeing you on campus soon. I'll buy* you a beer at GPSCY when I see you.

*by "buy" I really mean "get a free Hi-Life on a Thursday, when Hi-Lifes are free." Maybe I'll pay the tip.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 107

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 12:31
This post received
KUDOS
genericuser1 wrote:
Geez, R2 here, all quiet on the Western Front. Wondering at this point if the denial will be on the admissions webpage or in an e-mail..

Chin up, it looks like they've been sending out the invites in waves so there's definitely still hope. We are far, far from the deadline at this point. You never know what could happen...

Though, to answer your question, I believe all denial/waitlist decisions are via email. Looks like round 1 admits got calls, as well.

Good luck, hope you get an invite soon :)
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0

Kudos [?]: 129 [1] , given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 22:45
This post received
KUDOS
MacFauz wrote:
Is a denial sent out immediately after review of the application or only on the decision date??

For round 1, it was only on the decision date.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 15:12
This post received
KUDOS
To provide a little bit of context - we got nearly 3 feet of snow during Nemo, and even with over 100 crews working around the clock, streets haven't been fully plowed, and cleanup is ongoing. The mayor has instituted travel and parking bans throughout most of downtown, and has asked the University to hold off on anyone coming in except for essential staff. I'd say about 1/2 of businesses are open, (including my local liquor store, thank goodness!), but it's a bit slow going. They've cancelled classes for tomorrow, and I can honestly say that it's the first time I've seen most of the students NOT jumping up and down in joy. That said - I've been really impressed by the amount and quality of communication from the University, the City, and SOM administration.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 18:49
This post received
KUDOS
aerien wrote:
mba2527 wrote:
There we go - you can see the blue now :) Looks like I beat aerien to the task!

I'm blue now too!!

I was going to wait until after Winter Welcome to keep @OhDenny on his toes, but I've already decided. :)

GAH! This makes me very happy. See you soon.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 23:10
This post received
KUDOS
aerien wrote:
I'm blue now too!!

I was going to wait until after Winter Welcome to keep @OhDenny on his toes, but I've already decided. :)

This is such cool news! Sounds like it was an easy decision in the end. Haha. :) In any event, I can't wait to read the explanation behind your decision! Hopefully this weekend is everything you expect (and more!). I'm jealous that you'll be there, but hopefully we'll get to connect in April at Welcome Weekend! Congrats on the BEST decision of your life.

:woohoo

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
WE: Law (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 38

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 12:07
This post received
KUDOS
mba20155 wrote:
Has anyone done a Skype interview for SOM? I went to New Haven for my interview last week but unfortunately could not do my interview because Yale was closed for two days. So I now have a Skype interview scheduled for next week, and wanted to hear about others' experiences with Skype. I tested mine and there is a little lag and I feel like this might ruin the interview experience a little bit.

So if anyone has any thoughts/comments on Skype interviews, please let me know.

Thanks!

I had a Skype interview. Sound was patchy, so after a couple of minutes the interviewer suggested we turn off the video. Afterwards, the sound was fine although from that point it was basically a phone interview. We had a normal conversation nevertheless, I posted the questions a couple of pages back.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 5

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 13:44
This post received
KUDOS
I had a Skype interview for Anderson and it was actually my best interview, in my opinion. Even though it was my 4th and I was comfortable with interviews already, I wasn't sure I'd be able to connect over Skype like one can do in person, but it was the easiest, most comfortable of them all. I had never used Skype before either, so I wouldn't worry too much about how this will be different than "in person".
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 20:12
This post received
KUDOS
I already bought my plane ticket for that weekend and can't wait! Looks like @aerien is driving me and my boyfriend to Tweed Airport. :) Yes, New Haven has an airport with cheap flights, who knew!?

I just learned a new ice-breaker today that I have already decide will need to be incorporated during Welcome Weekend. Muah ha ha!

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 21:05
This post received
KUDOS
MacFauz wrote:
I am just curious... Was Yale your first choice over Kellogg before starting the applications process??

Actually it wasn't. I started off this process assuming I'd be rejected at Stanford and then end up at Kellogg. I think part of it had to do with the fact that Yale reps weren't at any of the pre-application events I attended until after R1 deadlines had already passed. My love for Yale increased exponentially the more I learned about it and the more people I met. I got a taste at an event in SF in October, then my visit/interview day really impressed me, and finally the admitted student events sealed the deal.

PM me if you'd like to chat more.

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 403 [1] , given: 239

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 06:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
machichi wrote:
I already bought my plane ticket for that weekend and can't wait! Looks like @aerien is driving me and my boyfriend to Tweed Airport. :) Yes, New Haven has an airport with cheap flights, who knew!?

I just learned a new ice-breaker today that I have already decide will need to be incorporated during Welcome Weekend. Muah ha ha!

Oh no...I have no car :( But I did basically get rides everywhere because it seemed like everyone (both current students and other admits) had a friend who happened to be driving to wherever I needed to go! For those counting at home though, I don't plan on getting a car and I'm 100% sure I'll be ok for groceries, traveling, etc

For your icebreaker, let @OhDenny know and see if he'll incorporate it officially. You ... uh... might want to keep it PG or PG-13 considering what happened with the ice breaker last weekend haha :P I doubt OhDenny thought we'd take it in the direction we did.. hope you didn't actually get "fired" from your elected post lol

Posted from my mobile device Image

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 403 [1] , given: 239

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 17:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mb031182zy wrote:
Hello everyone,

does anybody know if any admission decisions are rolled out before march 28th?

Thanks!

For R1, we all found out on the decision day. Calls went out to admits in the morning/early afternoon ET and emails went out to WL/dings after that. I'd guess it's similar for R2.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GPA: 3.7
WE: Operations (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 5

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 18:38
This post received
KUDOS
haxx19 wrote:
aerien wrote:
mba2527 wrote:
There we go - you can see the blue now :) Looks like I beat aerien to the task!

I'm blue now too!!

Just got back from vacation (unfortunately missed Winter Welcome) and after much contemplation am now blue as well! Looking forward to meeting everyone in April!

See you there!!!
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2013, 18:38