Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 02:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 70
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Anderson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

Reviews Badge
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 15:29
R2 Admits - When is the deposit deadline for you guys?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 23 Feb 2013
Posts: 6
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.1
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 15:44
mba20155 wrote:
R2 Admits - When is the deposit deadline for you guys?

May 1st for all R2 and CGSM non-fellows.
If you're a CGSM fellow, it's April 15.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jan 2013
Posts: 28
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V50
GPA: 3.72
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 20:32
I actually received congratulatory emails from both Bruce and Chris over the weekend, which included links to the Facebook page (I've sent two requests but not yet approved) and the Class of 2015 website -- so nothing out of the ordinary or additional to what was in the admit letter. :)

I'm disappointed because I won't be able to make it to Welcome Weekend -- I'm MoH in a good friend's wedding that weekend -- but I'm hoping to make it to this week's NYC reception. I'm out of town right now, but I could potentially (with some difficulty) change plans and make it back in time for the event. Do you guys think it'll be worth it to shift stuff around to go, particularly as I can't make it to the weekend?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1252
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 414 [1] , given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 21:09
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
overdressed wrote:
I actually received congratulatory emails from both Bruce and Chris over the weekend, which included links to the Facebook page (I've sent two requests but not yet approved) and the Class of 2015 website -- so nothing out of the ordinary or additional to what was in the admit letter. :)

I'm disappointed because I won't be able to make it to Welcome Weekend -- I'm MoH in a good friend's wedding that weekend -- but I'm hoping to make it to this week's NYC reception. I'm out of town right now, but I could potentially (with some difficulty) change plans and make it back in time for the event. Do you guys think it'll be worth it to shift stuff around to go, particularly as I can't make it to the weekend?


Are you set on Yale or are you still deciding? If you're still deciding then I think you should try to make it to the reception so you at least have a chance to meet some other accepted students and alums and to get a better sense of why people chose Yale and if that's the best option for you.

If you've already decided to matriculate then it's a matter of how much you want to meet people before arriving on campus (getting to know people, finding roommates, etc). Obviously none of that is required though so if it doesn't fit with your travel plans then don't worry about it. There's likely to be many more informal events before classes start anyways.

Have fun at the wedding!
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jan 2013
Posts: 28
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V50
GPA: 3.72
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 21:24
aerien wrote:
overdressed wrote:
I actually received congratulatory emails from both Bruce and Chris over the weekend, which included links to the Facebook page (I've sent two requests but not yet approved) and the Class of 2015 website -- so nothing out of the ordinary or additional to what was in the admit letter. :)

I'm disappointed because I won't be able to make it to Welcome Weekend -- I'm MoH in a good friend's wedding that weekend -- but I'm hoping to make it to this week's NYC reception. I'm out of town right now, but I could potentially (with some difficulty) change plans and make it back in time for the event. Do you guys think it'll be worth it to shift stuff around to go, particularly as I can't make it to the weekend?


Are you set on Yale or are you still deciding? If you're still deciding then I think you should try to make it to the reception so you at least have a chance to meet some other accepted students and alums and to get a better sense of why people chose Yale and if that's the best option for you.

If you've already decided to matriculate then it's a matter of how much you want to meet people before arriving on campus (getting to know people, finding roommates, etc). Obviously none of that is required though so if it doesn't fit with your travel plans then don't worry about it. There's likely to be many more informal events before classes start anyways.

Have fun at the wedding!


Thanks for the great advice! As of -- literally -- this afternoon (and following a series of great chats with my grandmother and some friends), I'm almost certainly set on Yale at this point, so I guess it's more about meeting people and potentially finding roommates. (Coming from NYC, the cost of living seems pretty amazingly low in New Haven -- but it would still be cool to save even more by sharing a space.) I'm going to see how difficult it will be to change my travel plans and go from there.

Also... yay! I can't believe this process is almost... over?! :)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2011
Posts: 200
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 80

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 02:51
overdressed wrote:
Thanks for the great advice! As of -- literally -- this afternoon (and following a series of great chats with my grandmother and some friends), I'm almost certainly set on Yale at this point, so I guess it's more about meeting people and potentially finding roommates. (Coming from NYC, the cost of living seems pretty amazingly low in New Haven -- but it would still be cool to save even more by sharing a space.) I'm going to see how difficult it will be to change my travel plans and go from there.

Also... yay! I can't believe this process is almost... over?! :)

Congratulations!

I'd also add that you can always plan your own 'Welcome Weekend' by getting in touch with incoming club leaders, (the transition starts this week), or with Admissions (me). We can help plan a schedule, arrange class visits and tours, invite you to social events, and even find a place to host you for a night if necessary.
Current Student
avatar
Status: Yale! (whipped and bound)
Joined: 02 May 2012
Posts: 404
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 09:22
overdressed wrote:
Thanks for the great advice! As of -- literally -- this afternoon (and following a series of great chats with my grandmother and some friends), I'm almost certainly set on Yale at this point, so I guess it's more about meeting people and potentially finding roommates. (Coming from NYC, the cost of living seems pretty amazingly low in New Haven -- but it would still be cool to save even more by sharing a space.) I'm going to see how difficult it will be to change my travel plans and go from there.

Also... yay! I can't believe this process is almost... over?! :)


Why am I so amused that your wise old grandmother has helped you decide on Yale. That image makes me beam! :)

It would probably be crazy stressful, but perhaps you could come up Thursday (April 17) and then leave in the afternoon on Friday. There's gonna be dinner and a party on Thursday I believe (and if not, I'm sure OhDenny will round one up for us...haha), and then there'll be some good stuff on Friday to attend.

You're ALMOST there! :)
_________________

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Posts: 758
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 21:11
I am applying to SOM in round 3. Does anyone know the destinations of the 2014 international trips in Spring? They had one in Dubai in 2013, but not sure if they will go back there again next Spring.
_________________

Duke MBA Class of 2016

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2011
Posts: 200
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 62 [2] , given: 80

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 04:36
2
This post received
KUDOS
hailmary620 wrote:
I am applying to SOM in round 3. Does anyone know the destinations of the 2014 international trips in Spring? They had one in Dubai in 2013, but not sure if they will go back there again next Spring.

Don't think they've picked these yet. It'd be a safe bet that most of them will come from the Global Network for Advanced Management countries (I went to Japan and our trip included an alumni reception that was attended by current MBAs from our sister school, Hitotsubashi), though the UAE was not one of those countries this year, so it's possible that there'll be a couple of outliers. However, if you're including it in your application I think it's totally fair game to reference past trips. I talked about India and Israel, both of which did not happen this year.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2012
Posts: 71
Location: Philippines
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 18:45
1
This post received
KUDOS
Congratulations to the latest round admits and best of luck to the round 3 applicants and those still waiting for decisions!

The Facebook group roughly has a full-size class now. Excited to see how many more will get added to the class.
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Yale SOM 2015!
Joined: 28 Feb 2012
Posts: 180
Location: United States (MA)
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 107

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 09:06
Posting this question here, too, in case anyone has feedback--thanks!

How many weeks at a minimum do you think it makes sense to leave before starting school? I don't have a lot in the way of savings (plan to take full loan offered), so I don't want to take too much time off. On the other hand, I could certainly support myself for a month or more if need be and I do want to make sure I have enough time to take at least a week's vacation (with no packing or planning), then get all of my ducks in a row and pack up and move without too much rush. I only live a few hours from Yale if that makes a difference, so I can take trips back and forth for the move.

My boss is pressing for a resignation letter ASAP so they can start the hiring process. If Yale orientation starts August 7th, around what time would you guys recommend I give for my final date? I was thinking mid-July (maybe Friday the 12th or the 19th), but wondered if that will be enough time. Thoughts?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 70
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 22

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 09:18
1
This post received
KUDOS
lb2015 wrote:
Posting this question here, too, in case anyone has feedback--thanks!

How many weeks at a minimum do you think it makes sense to leave before starting school? I don't have a lot in the way of savings (plan to take full loan offered), so I don't want to take too much time off. On the other hand, I could certainly support myself for a month or more if need be and I do want to make sure I have enough time to take at least a week's vacation (with no packing or planning), then get all of my ducks in a row and pack up and move without too much rush. I only live a few hours from Yale if that makes a difference, so I can take trips back and forth for the move.

My boss is pressing for a resignation letter ASAP so they can start the hiring process. If Yale orientation starts August 7th, around what time would you guys recommend I give for my final date? I was thinking mid-July (maybe Friday the 12th or the 19th), but wondered if that will be enough time. Thoughts?


My last day is June 28. I don't have to move, so my situation is a little different from yours, but I can't say I'm not looking forward to the break, even if some of it is just to sit in my house and read non-school, non-work related books. :)

You might also think about when your lease will start and whether you'll have to move everything in that week before orientation, or if you can manage more of a relaxed move. If you're really concerned about finances you could probably follow this timeline from the 19th, but I personally would want to have that extra week knowing how crazy the fall semester is going to be.
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Yale SOM 2015!
Joined: 28 Feb 2012
Posts: 180
Location: United States (MA)
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 107

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 09:34
skm wrote:
lb2015 wrote:
Posting this question here, too, in case anyone has feedback--thanks!

How many weeks at a minimum do you think it makes sense to leave before starting school? I don't have a lot in the way of savings (plan to take full loan offered), so I don't want to take too much time off. On the other hand, I could certainly support myself for a month or more if need be and I do want to make sure I have enough time to take at least a week's vacation (with no packing or planning), then get all of my ducks in a row and pack up and move without too much rush. I only live a few hours from Yale if that makes a difference, so I can take trips back and forth for the move.

My boss is pressing for a resignation letter ASAP so they can start the hiring process. If Yale orientation starts August 7th, around what time would you guys recommend I give for my final date? I was thinking mid-July (maybe Friday the 12th or the 19th), but wondered if that will be enough time. Thoughts?


My last day is June 28. I don't have to move, so my situation is a little different from yours, but I can't say I'm not looking forward to the break, even if some of it is just to sit in my house and read non-school, non-work related books. :)

You might also think about when your lease will start and whether you'll have to move everything in that week before orientation, or if you can manage more of a relaxed move. If you're really concerned about finances you could probably follow this timeline from the 19th, but I personally would want to have that extra week knowing how crazy the fall semester is going to be.


Thanks--this is really helpful insight. I have no idea when my lease will start since I'm still not sure where I'll live yet, but I imagine August 1st is preferable. I am leaning towards July 12th for my last day. My bday is a few days later, so it'd be nice to have it off for the first time in a few years! :)
Current Student
avatar
Status: Yale! (whipped and bound)
Joined: 02 May 2012
Posts: 404
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 12:32
I'm taking off from here in mid June to go traveling. We're using the money we would've spent on rent in San Francisco (SO HIGH) to travel. :)

I'm not sure when I'm arriving in New Haven, but will depend on housing. If we have a place, we'll move in on August 1. If not, we'll come earlier to find a place!
_________________

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1252
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 414 [0], given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 12:46
Expert's post
I'm on a similar timeline to machichi. I'll likely leave my job early to mid June, get my ducks in a row, and move to New Haven at the end of July / August 1 (assuming the lease starts Aug 1). If I find a place that starts July 1, I could move first and then enjoy a few weeks off...either way.

I feel like July 20 would be the latest a sane person would leave their job. That gives you two weeks to move and sort things out.
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2012
Posts: 71
Location: Philippines
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 19:09
lb2015 wrote:
Posting this question here, too, in case anyone has feedback--thanks!

How many weeks at a minimum do you think it makes sense to leave before starting school? I don't have a lot in the way of savings (plan to take full loan offered), so I don't want to take too much time off. On the other hand, I could certainly support myself for a month or more if need be and I do want to make sure I have enough time to take at least a week's vacation (with no packing or planning), then get all of my ducks in a row and pack up and move without too much rush. I only live a few hours from Yale if that makes a difference, so I can take trips back and forth for the move.

My boss is pressing for a resignation letter ASAP so they can start the hiring process. If Yale orientation starts August 7th, around what time would you guys recommend I give for my final date? I was thinking mid-July (maybe Friday the 12th or the 19th), but wondered if that will be enough time. Thoughts?


If it's true that they're giving us assignments and online modules in advance that we have to submit by the 31st of July, then I think July 12th should be a good time to leave. That way, you can have a week off from work (and school), and then spend the next two weeks or so preparing for the hurly-burly of school pre-work (including finding an apartment, if you still don't have one by then).

Although I'm one to talk, when I plan to have my last day of work on July 31. Haha!
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2011
Posts: 200
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 62 [4] , given: 80

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 03:50
4
This post received
KUDOS
I left my job on June 15 and frankly, wish I would have left in May, (I'd originally said July 1, and the amended it to June 1, and we compromised on the 15th). The summer prior is the last chance to have no obligations, see friends and family, read for fun, and spend substantial time with your SO, for at least two years. If you want to see the world, please do so, but I prioritized giving myself a month to see friends and family, and spend one-on-one time with my friends in New York as I knew I wasn't going to be able to see them until I was back in the summer. The International Experience, and my pre-trip pretty much satisfied my travel bug for the year. A good thing to think about is what weddings will occur while you're in school, and will you be able to go? If not, then propose hanging out for an extended time over the summer as a make-up.
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Yale SOM 2015!
Joined: 28 Feb 2012
Posts: 180
Location: United States (MA)
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 107

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 04:20
OhDenny wrote:
I left my job on June 15 and frankly, wish I would have left in May, (I'd originally said July 1, and the amended it to June 1, and we compromised on the 15th). The summer prior is the last chance to have no obligations, see friends and family, read for fun, and spend substantial time with your SO, for at least two years. If you want to see the world, please do so, but I prioritized giving myself a month to see friends and family, and spend one-on-one time with my friends in New York as I knew I wasn't going to be able to see them until I was back in the summer. The International Experience, and my pre-trip pretty much satisfied my travel bug for the year. A good thing to think about is what weddings will occur while you're in school, and will you be able to go? If not, then propose hanging out for an extended time over the summer as a make-up.


Thanks, OhDenny! It's always great to hear a current student's perspective. You're almost tempting me to leave a bit earlier! I have a friend's wedding on the west coast during the last weekend in June and it would be so fun to spend some extra time out there visiting all my college friends. Same as for you, the reason I'd take extra time is to visit friends and family domestically. We're all scattered over the country and we all have such limited vacation time, so it's been hard to stay in touch.

Told my boss I'd give him my letter Monday, so I'll have to spend a few days mulling it over. Maybe I can push my last day to June 28th...
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Yale SOM 2015!
Joined: 28 Feb 2012
Posts: 180
Location: United States (MA)
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 107

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 08:01
1
This post received
KUDOS
Okay, I'm officially scheduled to come to Yale for Welcome Weekend! To any greater Boston folks--I am probably way too trusting of strangers I met on gmatclub, but I would be more than happy to give people rides down or back. I'm planning to leave Boston around 6-6:30am on Friday and then come back in the late morning or early afternoon on Sunday (I'm flexible though). I have an SUV with plenty of space, so it's really not a problem for me at all.

PM me if interested! Can't wait to meet more of you :)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 23 Dec 2012
Posts: 116
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.25
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 50 [1] , given: 37

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 09:59
1
This post received
KUDOS
I went to the NYC reception yesterday and it was a great experience. I'm still undecided but I scheduled my own "Welcome weekend" as previously suggested for next Thursday through Saturday. Definitely looking forward to it!
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 05 Apr 2013, 09:59
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
287 Experts publish their posts in the topic Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants aerien 1287 06 Jul 2012, 18:10
13 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants Dbalks 159 13 Dec 2012, 16:57
63 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants nink 913 02 Jul 2009, 06:55
7 Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! IHateTheGMAT 422 20 Jul 2008, 21:45
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  52   53   54   55   56   57   58  ...  65    Next  [ 1288 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.