Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 20:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 11

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 20:59
overdressed wrote:
Congrats to all of today's admits! (Glad to be one of you. Haha.)

Quick question: did you just get a status update (with the admit letter / link to 2015 page(s)), or did you get an additional email from admissions? I was told on the phone to expect both, but I only received the former -- which is fine, as I'm sure it includes everything I need, but just wondering!

This has been a very interesting day for me, as those $$$ have very likely entirely changed where I thought I'd be next year... Eek!

I was told the same on the phone, but only received the status update too. Maybe the admission officers were swamped and decided to call it a day and send the letters later? To those who did receive one, is there any pertinent/interesting info on the email that's not on the admitted student website??
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 22:55
Waitlisted! Any advice?
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 23

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 01:06
Waitlisted as well. Disappointing, although I guess it beats a ding. Do you guys think flying down to New Haven (from Kuwait) might help? I took my interview on Skype so may be, this could show them how serious I am about Yale.

Posted from my mobile device Image

INSEAD - MBA Class of December 2015
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/insead15d/
WhatsApp Group (Admits): PM me with your number to join the group :-)

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 434 [0], given: 281

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 02:48
Expert's post
Pashya wrote:
Waitlisted as well. Disappointing, although I guess it beats a ding. Do you guys think flying down to New Haven (from Kuwait) might help? I took my interview on Skype so may be, this could show them how serious I am about Yale.

Feel free to visit campus if you're already in the US but I'm not sure if making a special trip at this point would be worth it. Check out the waitlist thread for what some other people have done, but keep in mind that at least with the small sample size of the Yale WL it doesn't seem to be getting much love yet.

calling-all-yale-som-2013-waitlisted-applicants-144114.html

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GPA: 3.1
WE: Project Management (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 03:55
aerien wrote:
Pashya wrote:

Feel free to visit campus if you're already in the US but I'm not sure if making a special trip at this point would be worth it. Check out the waitlist thread for what some other people have done, but keep in mind that at least with the small sample size of the Yale WL it doesn't seem to be getting much love yet.

I got dinged! I am matriculating at GSB, but it still hurts! being dinged after receiving a near-love letter from my interviewer for how great I was and how the interview was

So first they invite you for the interview because they think you are great and accomplished..

Then they interview and your interviewer start singing your praises

Then they ding you ...

I fail to understand this MBA admissions world ...
VP
VP
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 459 [0], given: 457

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 06:06
QHSWS wrote:
aerien wrote:
Pashya wrote:

I got dinged! I am matriculating at GSB, but it still hurts! being dinged after receiving a near-love letter from my interviewer for how great I was and how the interview was

So first they invite you for the interview because they think you are great and accomplished..

Then they ding you ...

Not all the people enter the interview stage at the same level. Some of the people already have their leg-up from rest of their profile (resume/recs/essays etc.)

Btw, I'm sure 92% people who are rejected at Stanford feel the same way ;) Congratulations on the amazing admit and decision to matriculate!
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q V0
GPA: 3.7

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 07:02
karaethon wrote:
overdressed wrote:

Quick question: did you just get a status update (with the admit letter / link to 2015 page(s)), or did you get an additional email from admissions? I was told on the phone to expect both, but I only received the former -- which is fine, as I'm sure it includes everything I need, but just wondering!

This has been a very interesting day for me, as those $$$ have very likely entirely changed where I thought I'd be next year... Eek!

So I guess I'm the ultimate lurker, but I got my call and admit today!

I also only received the status update with admit letter. The person on the phone did not mention that I would receive any additional emails though.

The email you receive is just an overview of some basic info from one of the adcom people (was the same person that called me) who will act as your point of contact. Things like the class of 2015 website link, Welcome Weekend info, enrollment response deadline, and the welcome package being mailed to the address you have on file were all mentioned. All the info you'll probably need is available on the class 2015 website.

Last edited by haxx19 on 29 Mar 2013, 07:14, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q V0
GPA: 3.7

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 07:08
lb2015 wrote:
Decided to matriculate! No convincing from machichi required (though I'm still down for brunch on Sunday during the Admitted Students Weekend!).

Losing the Darden deposit hurts a little, but what's a $1000 in the face of a mortgage-size student debt obligation? ;)

I was going to procrastinate cleaning by booking a hotel for ASW--any recommendations?

Congrats on the decision!

It's pretty slim pickins in terms of good hotels in New Haven. The four at the bottom here, http://mba.yale.edu/visit.shtml, are probably the main ones (with The Study being the nicest). For Welcome Weekend, you can also opt to have a current student host you. I booked my reservation at Omni to peruse downtown at night.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 08:40
karaethon wrote:
overdressed wrote:

So I guess I'm the ultimate lurker, but I got my call and admit today!

I also only received the status update with admit letter. The person on the phone did not mention that I would receive any additional emails though.

I did receive the followup email this morning... it was pretty much the same as the admit letter
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 10:24
QHSWS wrote:

Then they ding you ...

Are you a younger applicant? Stanford is much more open to younger applicants than Yale (and Kellogg for that matter, where I see you were waitlisted). The other option is that R1 might have admitted 20 candidates just like you. You're right that we'll never know!

In any event, you're going to love Stanford. Major congratulations!

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 10:25
lb2015 wrote:
Decided to matriculate! No convincing from machichi required (though I'm still down for brunch on Sunday during the Admitted Students Weekend!).

Losing the Darden deposit hurts a little, but what's a $1000 in the face of a mortgage-size student debt obligation? ;)

I was going to procrastinate cleaning by booking a hotel for ASW--any recommendations?

That was quick! My jedi mind tricks work faster than I expected! Woohooo, welcome to the club! :)

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 107

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 12:03
OhDenny wrote:
lb2015 wrote:

Congrats! I'd recommend staying with a student, if you're okay sleeping on a couch or air mattress for two (three) days. It's completely free, and you can really get a sense of what the housing quality is like (generally very good) and the student life is like (generally very busy and high-energy). My house generally makes breakfast and coffee for our hosted students, and has a beer with them before bedtime. Plus, most students live much closer to SOM than the Omni, Study, or Courtyard.

Thanks, OhDenny, aerien, and haxx for your suggestions! My boyfriend is joining me for the weekend, and he feels pretty strongly about staying in a hotel, so hopefully we can find an affordable option at one of those hotels. Luckily I was able to see my friend's house in East Rock when I came for my interview, and I feel like I got a good sense for the neighborhood. I was definitely impressed with the quality--my SOM friend's house was bigger than my apartment in Boston and half the price for rent!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 81

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 12:31
lb2015 wrote:
Thanks, OhDenny, aerien, and haxx for your suggestions! My boyfriend is joining me for the weekend, and he feels pretty strongly about staying in a hotel, so hopefully we can find an affordable option at one of those hotels. Luckily I was able to see my friend's house in East Rock when I came for my interview, and I feel like I got a good sense for the neighborhood. I was definitely impressed with the quality--my SOM friend's house was bigger than my apartment in Boston and half the price for rent!

Totally understandable!

If you can afford it, the Omni and the Study are the best two options. The Courtyard is substantially further, and right at the edge of campus. The other two, though more expensive, are really nice, and very close to GPSCY, which will make a huge difference come Friday night. (Trust me.) Another alternate would be to contact 360 State to see if they have any guest/model apartments that you might be able to rent for a couple of days. Don't know if that is actually a thing, but just something that occurred to me in the moment.
VP
VP
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 459 [0], given: 457

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 12:36
Already made your decision ? Have a look at the following threads and let us know your story:

1.) 2013 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results - NO DISCUSSION!

2.)The evolution of your B-school pursuit

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 06:25
anybody knows about admit student event in SF
Expert Post
VP
VP
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 434 [0], given: 281

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 07:07
Expert's post
zoblt wrote:
anybody knows about admit student event in SF

The details (date, location, etc) are on the admit student site. You can register for the event there as well.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Current Student
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Anderson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

Reviews Badge
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 15:29
R2 Admits - When is the deposit deadline for you guys?
Current Student
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.1
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 15:44
mba20155 wrote:
R2 Admits - When is the deposit deadline for you guys?

May 1st for all R2 and CGSM non-fellows.
If you're a CGSM fellow, it's April 15.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V50
GPA: 3.72
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Law)

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 20:32
I actually received congratulatory emails from both Bruce and Chris over the weekend, which included links to the Facebook page (I've sent two requests but not yet approved) and the Class of 2015 website -- so nothing out of the ordinary or additional to what was in the admit letter. :)

I'm disappointed because I won't be able to make it to Welcome Weekend -- I'm MoH in a good friend's wedding that weekend -- but I'm hoping to make it to this week's NYC reception. I'm out of town right now, but I could potentially (with some difficulty) change plans and make it back in time for the event. Do you guys think it'll be worth it to shift stuff around to go, particularly as I can't make it to the weekend?
Current Student
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V50
GPA: 3.72
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Law)

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 21:24
aerien wrote:
overdressed wrote:
I actually received congratulatory emails from both Bruce and Chris over the weekend, which included links to the Facebook page (I've sent two requests but not yet approved) and the Class of 2015 website -- so nothing out of the ordinary or additional to what was in the admit letter. :)

I'm disappointed because I won't be able to make it to Welcome Weekend -- I'm MoH in a good friend's wedding that weekend -- but I'm hoping to make it to this week's NYC reception. I'm out of town right now, but I could potentially (with some difficulty) change plans and make it back in time for the event. Do you guys think it'll be worth it to shift stuff around to go, particularly as I can't make it to the weekend?

Are you set on Yale or are you still deciding? If you're still deciding then I think you should try to make it to the reception so you at least have a chance to meet some other accepted students and alums and to get a better sense of why people chose Yale and if that's the best option for you.

If you've already decided to matriculate then it's a matter of how much you want to meet people before arriving on campus (getting to know people, finding roommates, etc). Obviously none of that is required though so if it doesn't fit with your travel plans then don't worry about it. There's likely to be many more informal events before classes start anyways.

Have fun at the wedding!

Thanks for the great advice! As of -- literally -- this afternoon (and following a series of great chats with my grandmother and some friends), I'm almost certainly set on Yale at this point, so I guess it's more about meeting people and potentially finding roommates. (Coming from NYC, the cost of living seems pretty amazingly low in New Haven -- but it would still be cool to save even more by sharing a space.) I'm going to see how difficult it will be to change my travel plans and go from there.

Also... yay! I can't believe this process is almost... over?! :)
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2013, 21:24