Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 18:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 80

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 02:51
overdressed wrote:
Thanks for the great advice! As of -- literally -- this afternoon (and following a series of great chats with my grandmother and some friends), I'm almost certainly set on Yale at this point, so I guess it's more about meeting people and potentially finding roommates. (Coming from NYC, the cost of living seems pretty amazingly low in New Haven -- but it would still be cool to save even more by sharing a space.) I'm going to see how difficult it will be to change my travel plans and go from there.

Also... yay! I can't believe this process is almost... over?! :)

Congratulations!

I'd also add that you can always plan your own 'Welcome Weekend' by getting in touch with incoming club leaders, (the transition starts this week), or with Admissions (me). We can help plan a schedule, arrange class visits and tours, invite you to social events, and even find a place to host you for a night if necessary.
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 09:22
overdressed wrote:
Thanks for the great advice! As of -- literally -- this afternoon (and following a series of great chats with my grandmother and some friends), I'm almost certainly set on Yale at this point, so I guess it's more about meeting people and potentially finding roommates. (Coming from NYC, the cost of living seems pretty amazingly low in New Haven -- but it would still be cool to save even more by sharing a space.) I'm going to see how difficult it will be to change my travel plans and go from there.

Also... yay! I can't believe this process is almost... over?! :)

Why am I so amused that your wise old grandmother has helped you decide on Yale. That image makes me beam! :)

It would probably be crazy stressful, but perhaps you could come up Thursday (April 17) and then leave in the afternoon on Friday. There's gonna be dinner and a party on Thursday I believe (and if not, I'm sure OhDenny will round one up for us...haha), and then there'll be some good stuff on Friday to attend.

You're ALMOST there! :)

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Director
Director
Concentration: Finance

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 21:11
I am applying to SOM in round 3. Does anyone know the destinations of the 2014 international trips in Spring? They had one in Dubai in 2013, but not sure if they will go back there again next Spring.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 107

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 09:06
Posting this question here, too, in case anyone has feedback--thanks!

How many weeks at a minimum do you think it makes sense to leave before starting school? I don't have a lot in the way of savings (plan to take full loan offered), so I don't want to take too much time off. On the other hand, I could certainly support myself for a month or more if need be and I do want to make sure I have enough time to take at least a week's vacation (with no packing or planning), then get all of my ducks in a row and pack up and move without too much rush. I only live a few hours from Yale if that makes a difference, so I can take trips back and forth for the move.

My boss is pressing for a resignation letter ASAP so they can start the hiring process. If Yale orientation starts August 7th, around what time would you guys recommend I give for my final date? I was thinking mid-July (maybe Friday the 12th or the 19th), but wondered if that will be enough time. Thoughts?
Current Student

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 09:34
skm wrote:
lb2015 wrote:

How many weeks at a minimum do you think it makes sense to leave before starting school? I don't have a lot in the way of savings (plan to take full loan offered), so I don't want to take too much time off. On the other hand, I could certainly support myself for a month or more if need be and I do want to make sure I have enough time to take at least a week's vacation (with no packing or planning), then get all of my ducks in a row and pack up and move without too much rush. I only live a few hours from Yale if that makes a difference, so I can take trips back and forth for the move.

My boss is pressing for a resignation letter ASAP so they can start the hiring process. If Yale orientation starts August 7th, around what time would you guys recommend I give for my final date? I was thinking mid-July (maybe Friday the 12th or the 19th), but wondered if that will be enough time. Thoughts?

My last day is June 28. I don't have to move, so my situation is a little different from yours, but I can't say I'm not looking forward to the break, even if some of it is just to sit in my house and read non-school, non-work related books. :)

You might also think about when your lease will start and whether you'll have to move everything in that week before orientation, or if you can manage more of a relaxed move. If you're really concerned about finances you could probably follow this timeline from the 19th, but I personally would want to have that extra week knowing how crazy the fall semester is going to be.

Thanks--this is really helpful insight. I have no idea when my lease will start since I'm still not sure where I'll live yet, but I imagine August 1st is preferable. I am leaning towards July 12th for my last day. My bday is a few days later, so it'd be nice to have it off for the first time in a few years! :)
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 12:32
I'm taking off from here in mid June to go traveling. We're using the money we would've spent on rent in San Francisco (SO HIGH) to travel. :)

I'm not sure when I'm arriving in New Haven, but will depend on housing. If we have a place, we'll move in on August 1. If not, we'll come earlier to find a place!

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 12:46
Expert's post
I'm on a similar timeline to machichi. I'll likely leave my job early to mid June, get my ducks in a row, and move to New Haven at the end of July / August 1 (assuming the lease starts Aug 1). If I find a place that starts July 1, I could move first and then enjoy a few weeks off...either way.

I feel like July 20 would be the latest a sane person would leave their job. That gives you two weeks to move and sort things out.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 19:09
lb2015 wrote:

If it's true that they're giving us assignments and online modules in advance that we have to submit by the 31st of July, then I think July 12th should be a good time to leave. That way, you can have a week off from work (and school), and then spend the next two weeks or so preparing for the hurly-burly of school pre-work (including finding an apartment, if you still don't have one by then).

Although I'm one to talk, when I plan to have my last day of work on July 31. Haha!
Current Student

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 04:20
OhDenny wrote:
I left my job on June 15 and frankly, wish I would have left in May, (I'd originally said July 1, and the amended it to June 1, and we compromised on the 15th). The summer prior is the last chance to have no obligations, see friends and family, read for fun, and spend substantial time with your SO, for at least two years. If you want to see the world, please do so, but I prioritized giving myself a month to see friends and family, and spend one-on-one time with my friends in New York as I knew I wasn't going to be able to see them until I was back in the summer. The International Experience, and my pre-trip pretty much satisfied my travel bug for the year. A good thing to think about is what weddings will occur while you're in school, and will you be able to go? If not, then propose hanging out for an extended time over the summer as a make-up.

Thanks, OhDenny! It's always great to hear a current student's perspective. You're almost tempting me to leave a bit earlier! I have a friend's wedding on the west coast during the last weekend in June and it would be so fun to spend some extra time out there visiting all my college friends. Same as for you, the reason I'd take extra time is to visit friends and family domestically. We're all scattered over the country and we all have such limited vacation time, so it's been hard to stay in touch.

Told my boss I'd give him my letter Monday, so I'll have to spend a few days mulling it over. Maybe I can push my last day to June 28th...
Expert Post
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2013, 06:30
Expert's post
Matriculating folks -- Does anyone know if they have to go to math camp (starting Aug 5)? Would this info come with our admit letter or is it based off the summer work we'll eventually get?

aerien

Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2013, 08:42
aerien wrote:
Matriculating folks -- Does anyone know if they have to go to math camp (starting Aug 5)? Would this info come with our admit letter or is it based off the summer work we'll eventually get?

When I asked Bruce, he said they haven't made the decision yet. I'm gonna ask at Welcome Weekend though. I'm curious how many people have attended in the past. I hadn't thought of them using the summer work to figure out how incapable, er I mean brilliant, we are. That's probably a good "test" for them to use.

Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 19:13
I received the admit packet today. It includes a handwritten note from the Dean of Admissions and a Yale SOM binder. Overall very nice!
Current Student
Concentration: Leadership, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.86
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2013, 11:52
karaethon wrote:
I received the admit packet today. It includes a handwritten note from the Dean of Admissions and a Yale SOM binder. Overall very nice!

Today I had my admit package hand-delivered to me while sitting in a cafe in Nairobi. Pretty impressive!
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2013, 12:30
evandc1 wrote:
karaethon wrote:

Today I had my admit package hand-delivered to me while sitting in a cafe in Nairobi. Pretty impressive!

I see blue in your profile--you decided to matriculate and didn't ANNOUNCE it? :)

Congrats! Will we see you next weekend?

Current Student
Concentration: Leadership, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.86
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2013, 12:39
machichi wrote:
evandc1 wrote:

I see blue in your profile--you decided to matriculate and didn't ANNOUNCE it? :)

Congrats! Will we see you next weekend?

I'm all in baby! Am in Africa until mid-May so sadly will miss all the admitted student events -- I better get more diligent about socializing online :-)
Expert Post
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 02:04
Expert's post
machichi wrote:
evandc1 wrote:
karaethon wrote:

Hah! The R2 folks are quiet here...we're up to 7 committed from R2 and Welcome Weekend is still to come!

And welcome evan :)

aerien

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 07:35
aerien wrote:

Hah! The R2 folks are quiet here...we're up to 7 committed from R2 and Welcome Weekend is still to come!

And welcome evan :)

Well I intend to commit, but I was going to wait until it's more official :)
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.6

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 07:59
Since the GF and I already visited New Haven for two days during the interview we're going to head to Chicago for Booth's admit weekend. At least with the GF, Chi-Town has some catching up to do because she loved Yale and has had reservations about Chicago...so we'll see what happens. Hope everyone has a great time!
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 64

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 09:46
Submitted my R3 app today. Any idea when can we hear back? I am already counting days/minutes
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 64

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 10:00
aerien wrote:
rocket1741 wrote:
Submitted my R3 app today. Any idea when can we hear back? I am already counting days/minutes

Adcom has been really efficient, so I would think invites would roll out early May or even starting the week of April 22

Thanks. Yes, I submitted 6 days early, so they read my app before everyone submits on 18th (trying to be beat the curve).
Congrats on your acceptance. Looking forward to help the new building lose its virginity. lol
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 12 Apr 2013, 10:00