Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 18:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 136 [1] , given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 11:30
This post received
KUDOS
alphabetagamma wrote:
I did not get a chance to login to the admission chat today. Did anybody attend the online chat? if so were there any interesting stats on Yield or Interview acceptance rate ?

I was on. Nothing major to report other than the R3 admissions depend upon the yield from R1/R2. I asked them how the yield is looking like and they didn't disclose.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 107

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 06:41
This post received
KUDOS
vikram4689 wrote:
i am struggling with "what can i contribute" part. should i be highlight more diversified activities OR activities that go along the lines of my post-mba goal. also any example on how should i articulate, i don't want to sound boastful

If possible, it would be great if you can tie in your "what I can contribute" to both your post-MBA goals and past achievements. I think there's lots of ways to do this without sounding boastful, eg:

"One of my strengths is my event planning expertise; in my current role as Event Planner at Firm A, I have managed all of the logistics of 20 international conferences. Since my post-MBA goal is to work in health care, I would use my event planning skills to help coordinate the Healthcare Management Conference at SOM."

Obviously, the wording isn't perfect, but hopefully that helps you in terms of thinking about how to integrate your contributions.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 412 [1] , given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 08:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
vikram4689 wrote:
how about following one, isn't it boastful.

"One of my strengths is my event planning expertise; in my current role as Event Planner at Firm A, I have managed all of the logistics of 20 international conferences. I will teach these skills to classmates by organizing conferences/events at school"

There's a difference between being arrogant and owning up to what you can actually do. Tell how you're going to contribute to the community in whatever way you feel comfortable doing so (no school wants to admit someone who will just be a fly on the wall).

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 10:11
This post received
KUDOS
aerien wrote:
vikram4689 wrote:
how about following one, isn't it boastful.

"One of my strengths is my event planning expertise; in my current role as Event Planner at Firm A, I have managed all of the logistics of 20 international conferences. I will teach these skills to classmates by organizing conferences/events at school"

There's a difference between being arrogant and owning up to what you can actually do. Tell how you're going to contribute to the community in whatever way you feel comfortable doing so (no school wants to admit someone who will just be a fly on the wall).

Agreed with aerien. One other thing to remember is that it's important to be specific and show that you did research on the program. So that's why I threw in "Healthcare Management Conference" for my example as this is a specific event that SOM hosts each year (not that my example couldn't use work--it's just an idea of how to think about approaching the topic). Good luck with your essay!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2013, 11:09
This post received
KUDOS
machichi wrote:
Nonetheless, I bet some interviews leave them wondering if you can handle the work from an academic perspective. For example, if your spoken English is really poor (either as an English language learner or not) they will question your ability to contribute to the case method. Otherwise, I generally agree that the first check is to answer the "can you handle it" question.

I want to add that my guess is that for people on the bubble ("I wonder if they can handle the work?"), the adcom invites them to interview because the committee is willing to admit exceptional candidates with shaky quant skills. The question they are inadvertently asking is, "Are they worth it?" So by no means have you proven your complete academic chops in all cases. They are looking for a reason to admit you and hopefully the interview helps create that reason!

To your point however Yale SOM also has a strong applicant pool, so in addition to the "can you handle it?" part they're probably also screening for fit as well in the initial pass. If they read an application that suggests the applicant is using the school as a "safety" or the applicant did little to no little research on the school I'm sure the app goes straight to the 'ding' box.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 23

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 06:48
This post received
KUDOS
T - 3. I'm starting to get nervous!

INSEAD - MBA Class of December 2015
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/insead15d/
WhatsApp Group (Admits): PM me with your number to join the group :-)

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 04:22
This post received
KUDOS
MBAforEdReform wrote:
GPT55 wrote:
R1 admits please help: did you get scholarship info directly after getting accepted or did you have to wait for some time (f.e. you got it with your package by mail)?

Thanks!

I would be interested to know this as well...

They will tell it on the phone, directly!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 15

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 02:40
This post received
KUDOS
Guys,

if I could give you a piece of advice, try not to think too much about the stats, especially one or two days before the decision (eg, how many they might admit, what are your "statistical" chances to get in, when should you expect the call")...

From my own experience, it's stressful, doesn't help and worse: you'll get so anxious that it will make it hard to concentrate on your job.

I've been waitlisted twice so far. The first time I had a very tough situation ( I was checking email every second... same to GC... etc.) . And I realized it was a huge waste of time.

The second time, I was more relaxed. Still anxious and wanting to know the result, but I kept calm overall. I did check GC to see if there was an admit, but that was the only info I needed (I was not looking at where admits were, what are their backgrounds/scores...).

Seriously, at this point there is nothing you can do and being that anxious will only hurt yourself. Relax and see if there is any other website you like (gamespot is great :grin:)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Yale '15 (I)
GMAT 1: Q V0

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 3

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 06:35
This post received
KUDOS
alphabetagamma wrote:
Pashya wrote:
T - 1. Jangling nerves and an inability to focus on anything else! I wonder if Yale calls international students a day earlier, like some of these other colleges do.

I don't think so, for both R1 2013 and R2 2012 the calls started on the day of the decision.

Power move if yale sent out results 30 minutes before harvard comes out.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Schools: Yale '15 (WL)
WE: Analyst (Other)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 11:29
This post received
KUDOS
Done for the day, wrapping up my work. Good look for all R2 and wait-listed members, hope we all get in.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 18:03
This post received
KUDOS
I am a waitlister from R1, and still waiting for good news from Yale today.

As long as I remember correctly, admits on R1 in Asia got the call at 8ish PM which means very early in the morning in EST; he(or she) got the call from Yale adcom(or alumni?) in Asia. Speaking of myself, email was in my inbox with status change notification around 4 or 5 AM next day.

Good luck for all R2 candidates and R1 waitlisters!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.75

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 6

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 00:01
This post received
KUDOS
Good luck everyone!!! Please let us know any updates!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 80

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 03:25
This post received
KUDOS
GOOD LUCK to everyone today!

We are all rooting for you.

Unfortunately, today is also our student government presidential elections, in which yours truly has to give a speech, so I won't be able to join you in real time celebration and commiseration. So you'll also have to take my "congratulations" early as well. Looking forward to talking to some of you on the phone, and seeing all of you at Welcome Weekend.

Also - expect there to be a gap between the initial international calls and the domestic/US time zone calls. Last year started around 3:30p EST.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 412 [1] , given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 06:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
lb2015 wrote:
Anyone else have the chatroom blocked at work? We have a pretty intense set of filters here...

Hope people continue to update this page as well. Good luck everyone!!

It happens. There are some apps you can download that potentially circumvent that but I haven't tried it. The general consensus is that if your work blocks chat, you should be working elsewhere :P

To learn about the apps, look here:
how-to-chat-like-a-pro-144590.html

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q36 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.56
WE: General Management (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 7

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 07:07
This post received
KUDOS
naughtyelf2000 wrote:
Im really confused... some people talk about calls and some people talk about "status updates"...

Which one is it?.. Everybody gets a call and THEN an email? or the other way around?
OR do some people get mails and some people get calls?

:S

If you are accepted you get a call before all applications are updated at the end of the day. Everyone is waiting for a call....hoping that they don't actually hear via a status update because it likely means you didn't get in.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q36 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.56
WE: General Management (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 7

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 09:31
This post received
KUDOS
lb2015 wrote:
Accepted!!!! SO incredibly excited. This was my last decision, and I am happy to say that I am done with this epic process that is MBA admissions!

FYI, the call came through on my work phone at about 1pm, and I am in Boston. Interestingly, I also got a response email this morning from Bruce to my thank you note that I had sent after my interview. He didn't say I had been admitted, but he did say he was "excited to get back with our decision later today," which I was hoping was a good sign.

Good luck to all still waiting! I know from my five decision days before how painful it can be to wait, but hopefully it ends well for everyone else! Happy long weekend :)

Mazel Tov!! And thank you for giving your location/time. It helps us theorize as a means to distract us from the anxiety.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 8

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 09:34
This post received
KUDOS
Got the call around 11am Central time. In. Latam.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 10:19
This post received
KUDOS
MBAforEdReform wrote:
Admitted! VERY excited! Did any receive news about merit scholarship money? I remember reading a while back that any scholarship money would be mentioned on the phone...

Congrats!! No word on scholarships for me. Kind of assume I am not getting one (I think I was lucky just to get in!). But yes, I believe in round 1 they were mentioned on the call.

Either way...party time! :-D
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 10:36
This post received
KUDOS
MBAforEdReform wrote:
lb2015 wrote:
MBAforEdReform wrote:
Admitted! VERY excited! Did any receive news about merit scholarship money? I remember reading a while back that any scholarship money would be mentioned on the phone...

Congrats!! No word on scholarships for me. Kind of assume I am not getting one (I think I was lucky just to get in!). But yes, I believe in round 1 they were mentioned on the call.

Either way...party time! :-D

Party on! I see that you were also admitted to Darden. Are you decided on Yale? (Admit weekends are the same.)

Ah I had no idea! (Hadn't gotten that far yet post phone calls to family and looking up Yale t-shirts online...such a productive work day). I am probably going, but I did also love Darden. I actually already deposited there since I applied in the first round. I do think Yale is a better fit for my goals (impact investing) and I think it would give me more access to opportunities in New England/NYC so I'm leaning that way for sure. What about you??
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 10:38
This post received
KUDOS
Got the call at 12:56 on the East Coast. Congrats to everyone, and best of luck! I understand the official email does not come out until later today. Can anyone tell me when admit weekend is?
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 28 Mar 2013, 10:38