Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 03:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 06:00
BankerRUS wrote:
Guys, a quick question. I am an international applicant from Europe and would like to fly over for the campus interview since I want to visit Harvard and Columbia anyways (and took some holidays for this time before I knew anything about my Yale application)

What is better, to fly directly to New Heaven airport or JFK? JFK is cheaper and only 80 miles away. Nevertheless, how could I get from JFK to New Heaven? Is there any shuttle service I could book?

What is the dresscode for the campus visit and the interview? I assume that everything happens during one day so there is no chance to wear something casual and then a suit....

Well, JFK is about a 1 hour 45 min drive from Yale. There apparently are these shuttle services:

http://www.yale.edu/travel/ground/GoAir ... leInfo.htm
http://www.yale.edu/travel/ground/QConnShuttleInfo.htm
http://ridethedot.com/

I'm not sure if there are others. I just did a quick google search.

if the flight is any cheaper, you could fly into Boston, which is about a 2 1/2 hour drive from New Haven. I didn't look for Boston shuttles, but I would guess there is at least one service.

Obviously, flying directly into New Haven would be more convenient, but I can imagine that the flight would be more expensive. You'll have to weigh that against the time/cost for a shuttle.

In terms of campus visit and the interview, you are correct, everything happens in one day. Dress code for campus visit is casual, although some people always wear suits. Dress code for interview is business formal
Current Student
GPA: 3.78
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 06:05
Hi there -

If your plan is to visit Columbia, HBS, and SOM I'd fly to either NYC or Boston visit Columbia/HBS respectively then take the train (Metro North from NYC or Amtrak from Boston) to New Haven and then take the train to whichever school is left to visit. The train from NYC is ~2hrs and then you can walk (its a fairly long walk) or cab to SOM campus. You can definitely just have a day in New Haven. When I visited some folks left their baggage (small roll-aboard/duffle) with the kind admissions folk in the office for the day.

Have fun!
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 22

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 06:53
mba2527 wrote:
Hi there -

If your plan is to visit Columbia, HBS, and SOM I'd fly to either NYC or Boston visit Columbia/HBS respectively then take the train (Metro North from NYC or Amtrak from Boston) to New Haven and then take the train to whichever school is left to visit. The train from NYC is ~2hrs and then you can walk (its a fairly long walk) or cab to SOM campus. You can definitely just have a day in New Haven. When I visited some folks left their baggage (small roll-aboard/duffle) with the kind admissions folk in the office for the day.

Have fun!

I agree. There are only a few commercial flights that fly into and out of New Haven and it does drive up the cost. You'll have far more options with Boston and NYC - traveling between all three cities on the train is easy.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 540 [0], given: 29

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 10:46
Expert's post
Taxi is also an option:

The New York area airports Kennedy (JFK) and LaGuardia (LGA), as well as Newark Airport (EWR) in New Jersey, are two to three hours from campus. Connecticut Limousine (800 472-5466) is available from all three airports into New Haven (approximately $68–$92 one way). The company offers a discounted rate of $95 round trip for pickup and drop-off service from Phelps Gate on the Old Campus. GO Airport Shuttle Connecticut (866 284-3247) also offers service to LaGuardia and Kennedy (approximately $54 one way), but not to Newark. Amtrak trains are available from Newark Airport for approximately $67–$75 one way (800 872-7245).

Check it out: http://yalecollege.yale.edu/content/tra ... and-travel

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GRE 1: 1440 Q770 V670
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 8

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 11:56
Fixed my off-campus (skype) interview for 1st Nov. Any ideas on how to prepare? Are there any resources around?

Anyone up for mock practice?

Cheers
VN

Vanishing Nerd

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [1] , given: 21

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2012, 12:54
This post received
KUDOS
I JUST GOT AN E-MAIL

...from my Dad wishing me luck in this process.
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2012, 12:59
OjilEye wrote:
I JUST GOT AN E-MAIL...from my Dad wishing me luck in this process.

You are such a dork. Hahahaha. I haven't even gotten THAT email! :)

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 50 [1] , given: 21

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 05:20
This post received
KUDOS
machichi wrote:
OjilEye wrote:
I JUST GOT AN E-MAIL...from my Dad wishing me luck in this process.

You are such a dork. Hahahaha. I haven't even gotten THAT email! :)

:) just thought I'd shake this thread up a bit. seemed a bit quiet.. but I'm sure more good news is on the way for a lot of GMATClubbers!
Current Student
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 09:32
Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but what should one wear at a Skype interview?

Coat and tie?
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 22

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 10:03
jason12e wrote:
Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but what should one wear at a Skype interview?

Coat and tie?

I think the rule of thumb is to prepare for a Skype interview the way you would for an in-person interview. I'd wear a suit. I've interviewed people on Skype before where something happened and they had to stand up or move out of the frame - if you were only wearing a coat and tie plus jeans, it might not look that great.

It also helps put you in more of an interview mindset, as opposed to a chatting-with-your-friends-on-Skype mindset, if you dress the part.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 58 [1] , given: 2

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 12:59
This post received
KUDOS
BankerRUS wrote:
Guys, a quick question. I am an international applicant from Europe and would like to fly over for the campus interview since I want to visit Harvard and Columbia anyways (and took some holidays for this time before I knew anything about my Yale application)

What is better, to fly directly to New Heaven airport or JFK? JFK is cheaper and only 80 miles away. Nevertheless, how could I get from JFK to New Heaven? Is there any shuttle service I could book?

What is the dresscode for the campus visit and the interview? I assume that everything happens during one day so there is no chance to wear something casual and then a suit....

Fly into JFK. Take the Air Tran to the E Train to Grand Central (total cost $7.75). Then get a ticket on the metro north to New Haven at Grand Central (this will be sub $20).

A cab and car would be much more expensive.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 06:45
Does anyone know roughly how long the admissions committee spends with an application before deciding whether to interview a candidate? Just curious.
VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 445 [0], given: 454

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 07:14
Crmson10 wrote:
Does anyone know roughly how long the admissions committee spends with an application before deciding whether to interview a candidate? Just curious.

That is something hard to guess.

What we know is (from the adcom of course): 2 real people (humans) review your application separately. If you are still rejected another review is done by someone else. So, I think it is fair to say that 'there are no accidents' (kung fu panda?) as such. No fluke interview calls/acceptances (I would like to believe it anyway)

I know I did not answer your question. The answer to it is "ït depends". Depends on your candidacy, adcom's mood, your essays, whether the reviewer had lunch (or decided to have lunch while reading your essays) etc.

My take - should be around 15-20 mins at MAX.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 74 [1] , given: 7

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 10:16
This post received
KUDOS
I will not be fooled and excited by todays 4:15 letter from the admissions office telling me all of the exciting things going on at Yale. I will not be fooled, I will not be fooled. It is not an interview invite, just an admissions newsletter.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 21

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 10:41
Dbalks wrote:
I will not be fooled and excited by todays 4:15 letter from the admissions office telling me all of the exciting things going on at Yale. I will not be fooled, I will not be fooled. It is not an interview invite, just an admissions newsletter.

Totally forgot about that. Thanks for the warning 'mate!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 10:46
Seems like every interview invite this year has been sent out on a Friday...crossing my fingers tomorrow.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 2: Q V

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 10:59
Dbalks wrote:

Thanks for the reminder!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 11:26
NA

Last edited by breakthelaw on 05 Mar 2013, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 12:20
Chupacabra wrote:
Seems like every interview invite this year has been sent out on a Friday...crossing my fingers tomorrow.

Any idea what time day they might be sending these out? Thanks.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 12:54
Hey guys,
Could anyone throw some light on how Yale hands out dings? If not selected to interview, can I expect a rejection mail in my inbox anytime now, or will that decision also be communicated only on the last day?

The wait only gets more and more excruciating.
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 25 Oct 2012, 12:54