Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 22:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [1] , given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 10:48
This post received
KUDOS
lb2015 wrote:
machichi wrote:
I love decision time! Yale vs. Darden is tough, but if you want to do any kind of social impact work, Yale is heads above the rest. It will suck to lose your deposit, so I am sure you have a tough decision to make. That said, they both are known for their tight-knit community feel.

Come to Welcome Weekend and see what you think!

Thanks for your input, maichichi! Btw, I've been following your posts/blog throughout this journey and you have been phenomenally helpful. I will most likely be at Welcome Weekend and look forward to meeting you :)

We'll have to have a gmatclub "reunion" (or is it just "union" since we've never met before? :lol: ). I look forward to meeting you and talking you into Yale helping you decide on what's best for you! Gmatclub brunch on Sunday perhaps?

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Yale SOM - Class of 2015
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 2

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 12:15
This post received
KUDOS
machichi wrote:
We have our first R2 "matriculator"! Yayayayay! S/he didn't even hesitate it seems! :)

Who would that be machichi ??

I am one who is having Yale as my top priority, thanks to you and aerian.

I am an international from India :) Looking forward to meet you guys as my classmates in few months :D
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 12:59
This post received
KUDOS
I had completely given up hope since I'm based in Boston, but I just got the call and I'm in!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 411 [1] , given: 245

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 14:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mba20155 wrote:
jrhat wrote:
Hi folks,
Congratulations to all the accepted candidates!

I was accepted this afternoon with no mention of scholarship funding. Should I assume that I will not be awarded any?

I need to decide tonight if I'll enroll in INSEAD and some funding from SOM might tip the balance.

Thanks!

If they did not mention it, you were not awarded a scholarship.

mba20155 is right, and Yale doesn't give out very many merit scholarships as it is (not this year anyways...more to come in the next few years).

Money aside though, check out thebschoollife's decision here (gotta sell Yale until the end haha): insead-vs-yale-som-decide-my-fate-144363.html

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.1
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 6

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 18:40
This post received
KUDOS
machichi wrote:
We have our first R2 "matriculator"! Yayayayay! S/he didn't even hesitate it seems! :)

haha think that was me. Waiting for this one, but had a solid option from UCLA... fell in love with the students, the community and the campus during the interview tour. Plus the name doesn't hurt either!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 6

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 22:00
This post received
KUDOS
overdressed wrote:
Congrats to all of today's admits! (Glad to be one of you. Haha.)

Quick question: did you just get a status update (with the admit letter / link to 2015 page(s)), or did you get an additional email from admissions? I was told on the phone to expect both, but I only received the former -- which is fine, as I'm sure it includes everything I need, but just wondering!

This has been a very interesting day for me, as those $$$ have very likely entirely changed where I thought I'd be next year... Eek!

So I guess I'm the ultimate lurker, but I got my call and admit today!

I also only received the status update with admit letter. The person on the phone did not mention that I would receive any additional emails though.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 00:16
This post received
KUDOS
homegrown wrote:
machichi wrote:

haha think that was me. Waiting for this one, but had a solid option from UCLA... fell in love with the students, the community and the campus during the interview tour. Plus the name doesn't hurt either!

Haha, yes it was you! :)

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 08:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
haxx19 wrote:
lb2015 wrote:
Decided to matriculate! No convincing from machichi required (though I'm still down for brunch on Sunday during the Admitted Students Weekend!).

Losing the Darden deposit hurts a little, but what's a $1000 in the face of a mortgage-size student debt obligation? ;)

I was going to procrastinate cleaning by booking a hotel for ASW--any recommendations?

Congrats on the decision!

It's pretty slim pickins in terms of good hotels in New Haven. The four at the bottom here, http://mba.yale.edu/visit.shtml, are probably the main ones (with The Study being the nicest). For Welcome Weekend, you can also opt to have a current student host you. I booked my reservation at Omni to peruse downtown at night.

Most people I met for winter welcome who stayed in a hotel stayed at the Omni or the Courtyard Marriott. I stayed with a student and will likely do the same this time too

aerien

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 21:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
overdressed wrote:
I actually received congratulatory emails from both Bruce and Chris over the weekend, which included links to the Facebook page (I've sent two requests but not yet approved) and the Class of 2015 website -- so nothing out of the ordinary or additional to what was in the admit letter. :)

I'm disappointed because I won't be able to make it to Welcome Weekend -- I'm MoH in a good friend's wedding that weekend -- but I'm hoping to make it to this week's NYC reception. I'm out of town right now, but I could potentially (with some difficulty) change plans and make it back in time for the event. Do you guys think it'll be worth it to shift stuff around to go, particularly as I can't make it to the weekend?

Are you set on Yale or are you still deciding? If you're still deciding then I think you should try to make it to the reception so you at least have a chance to meet some other accepted students and alums and to get a better sense of why people chose Yale and if that's the best option for you.

If you've already decided to matriculate then it's a matter of how much you want to meet people before arriving on campus (getting to know people, finding roommates, etc). Obviously none of that is required though so if it doesn't fit with your travel plans then don't worry about it. There's likely to be many more informal events before classes start anyways.

Have fun at the wedding!

aerien

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 18:45
This post received
KUDOS
Congratulations to the latest round admits and best of luck to the round 3 applicants and those still waiting for decisions!

The Facebook group roughly has a full-size class now. Excited to see how many more will get added to the class.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 22

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 09:18
This post received
KUDOS
lb2015 wrote:
Posting this question here, too, in case anyone has feedback--thanks!

How many weeks at a minimum do you think it makes sense to leave before starting school? I don't have a lot in the way of savings (plan to take full loan offered), so I don't want to take too much time off. On the other hand, I could certainly support myself for a month or more if need be and I do want to make sure I have enough time to take at least a week's vacation (with no packing or planning), then get all of my ducks in a row and pack up and move without too much rush. I only live a few hours from Yale if that makes a difference, so I can take trips back and forth for the move.

My boss is pressing for a resignation letter ASAP so they can start the hiring process. If Yale orientation starts August 7th, around what time would you guys recommend I give for my final date? I was thinking mid-July (maybe Friday the 12th or the 19th), but wondered if that will be enough time. Thoughts?

My last day is June 28. I don't have to move, so my situation is a little different from yours, but I can't say I'm not looking forward to the break, even if some of it is just to sit in my house and read non-school, non-work related books. :)

You might also think about when your lease will start and whether you'll have to move everything in that week before orientation, or if you can manage more of a relaxed move. If you're really concerned about finances you could probably follow this timeline from the 19th, but I personally would want to have that extra week knowing how crazy the fall semester is going to be.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 107

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 08:01
This post received
KUDOS
Okay, I'm officially scheduled to come to Yale for Welcome Weekend! To any greater Boston folks--I am probably way too trusting of strangers I met on gmatclub, but I would be more than happy to give people rides down or back. I'm planning to leave Boston around 6-6:30am on Friday and then come back in the late morning or early afternoon on Sunday (I'm flexible though). I have an SUV with plenty of space, so it's really not a problem for me at all.

PM me if interested! Can't wait to meet more of you :)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.25

Kudos [?]: 50 [1] , given: 37

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 09:59
This post received
KUDOS
I went to the NYC reception yesterday and it was a great experience. I'm still undecided but I scheduled my own "Welcome weekend" as previously suggested for next Thursday through Saturday. Definitely looking forward to it!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 09:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rocket1741 wrote:
Submitted my R3 app today. Any idea when can we hear back? I am already counting days/minutes

Adcom has been really efficient, so I would think invites would roll out early May or even starting the week of April 22

aerien

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 04:45
This post received
KUDOS
Pashya wrote:
Hey guys! I've been in hibernation since the R2 decisions were announced, loading up my ammunition for the WL intent / update letter. Still seems
like an uphill task given the lack of movement in the GC WL page. Could someone please tell me how much the deposit amount is?

Good luck pashya! I thought I had heard someone say that Yale was looking to use it's waitlist in round 3, so hopefully that works out for you. The deposit is $2500.

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.25

Kudos [?]: 50 [1] , given: 37

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 07:04
This post received
KUDOS
I have to give a shout out to OhDenny for hosting me last weekend (I can't make it to Pre-view weekend because of a wedding).

His roomie's were amazing and everyone at SOM were willing to answer any question I had concerning the school.

If he is hosting anyone, you're going to have fun and be prepared to meet The Admiral
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Yale SOM - Class of 2015

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 2

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2013, 12:12
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys.....

I am now officially signed up to be a Yalie for the rest of my life....*woohoo*

Paid the fees, submitted the transcripts and the enrollment form.................*sigh*
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2013, 13:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I didn't get a confirmation for receipt of my mailed hard copy transcripts. I assume they have them...

And for those who couldn't make it, Welcome Weekend was awesome (as expected!).

Just one thing @OhDenny, if you're going to give us that much free swag, you should also give us a bag to put it all in :P

aerien

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 12:04
This post received
KUDOS
hailmary620 wrote:
Sorry, I am too lazy to dig through this forum, but can anyone tell when we should be getting interview invites? Set date? Random?

I applied round 2 and got my invite 6 days after submitting. I think that was the first day of invites for the round (which just means that they read my application early on--you can't draw a correlation between invite timing and application strength). The party line from Yale is that they can invite you up until the decision date, but typically you would have heard a couple weeks before at the latest.

Good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2013, 10:00
This post received
KUDOS
hern007 wrote:
Can any international students comment on the Financial Aid process? Have you been able to borrow without a co-signer?

Yale lets you borrow as an international without a co-signer directly from the university. The rates are pretty mediocre, but I guess it's better than nothing!

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 25 Apr 2013, 10:00