Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 07:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 136 [1] , given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 12:26
This post received
KUDOS
thomashobbes wrote:
Also round three and also received the invite for video interview. I wonder if it is the case that Yale is behind in their review process and wants to make sure they have an interview on file for everyone. If they are interested in a candidate late in the game, they can still make an admission decision while maintaining their "interview everyone who gets an offer" policy.

There were couple of people who got invited for a real interview 10 days ago, so I think they are just testing out a new thing for future years. McCombs made all waitlisted w/o interview applicants do a similar thing. Also, given the fact that the last day to submit the video is May 9th, they will have only few days to make a decision before the May 16th deadline.

The email got me super pumped for a second though - I thought that I was the chosen one :)

Duke MBA Class of 2016

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Lawyer
Concentration: Technology, Finance
Schools: Yale '15 (S)
WE: Law (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 5

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 13:23
This post received
KUDOS
hailmary620 wrote:
I am a R3 applicant and have been invited for a video interview.....Does anyone know what that is all about?

I just got invited too. It smells fake to me.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 8

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 13:26
This post received
KUDOS
prospectus7 wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:
I am a R3 applicant and have been invited for a video interview.....Does anyone know what that is all about?

I just got invited too. It smells fake to me.

Same here....this feels good and bad at the same time.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 80

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 06:29
This post received
KUDOS
I can confirm that the video invite is legit, though I don't know what the difference is (if any) between that and an in-person interview. I wouldn't worry too much about the differentiation between the two, though of course, I can't give any advice as to how to navigate either interview. Good luck and congrats to all!
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 08:30
This post received
KUDOS
prospectus7 wrote:
i think they're just using it as a last minute decision-making process.. ie, five awesome candidates, only 1 spot, let's pick the one who is hottest! it's a clandestine way of asking for a headshot. hahahaa

If that's the case, I will have Kate Upton interview for me....lol

Duke MBA Class of 2016

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Yale '15 (M)

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 09:44
This post received
KUDOS
It is possible that the person at the admissions office got it incorrectly re: everyone getting the video interview (and I suppose I could have misinterpreted what she said). In any case, I received a request for an in-person interview today, so there's definitely still hope for round 3 candidates!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Lawyer
Concentration: Technology, Finance
Schools: Yale '15 (S)
WE: Law (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 5

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 14:23
This post received
KUDOS
I don't appreciate paying $225 for Yale to review my application and then they throw a last minute fake requirement onto me because they don't have enough resources to conduct proper interviews. They can get bent. Not doing it. And I plan on calling up the AdCom to let them know that a last minute video interview request makes them look scattered and incompetent. What prevented them from announcing this might be a possibility from the start? Nothing. It was a poorly planned last ditch effort to cover their understaffed asses.

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 15:59
This post received
KUDOS
prospectus7 wrote:
I don't appreciate paying $225 for Yale to review my application and then they throw a last minute fake requirement onto me because they don't have enough resources to conduct proper interviews. They can get bent. Not doing it. And I plan on calling up the AdCom to let them know that a last minute video interview request makes them look scattered and incompetent. What prevented them from announcing this might be a possibility from the start? Nothing. It was a poorly planned last ditch effort to cover their understaffed asses.

Just remember: we want Yale more than Yale wants us. If we are not happy with the school, there are millions of other people who will do anything to get our spot. This video interview is not a substitute of a "real interview". If my and/or your application was strong enough to warrant a "real interview" invite, we would have gotten it in the first place.

I just did my video interview, and in my opinion, it's a great idea. Yes, I was not happy to see Yale rolling this out late in the game, especially round 3, but I think starting next year, these video interviews will add a new dimension to our applications - in a positive way. The questions are very easy and anyone who is capable of attending a top business should be able to come up with good answers.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41

Kudos [?]: 133 [1] , given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 16:41
This post received
KUDOS
prospectus7 wrote:

You do know that the admissions committee members talk with the adcoms at other schools, right? If you ever want to go to business school, I'd highly recommend not doing this. This process sucks and it invariably makes us feel small and helpless, but lashing out at the adcom at Yale won't end up doing you any favors. Nor will it likely make you feel better for very long, for that matter.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 15

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 10:49
This post received
KUDOS
Most of you got admitted in very good schools. I can see that some got in at Ross, Fuqua, Kellogg, Stanford...
We all have our priorities, and I can see that most of us (at least those who are very active in this thread) would prioritize Yale over any other school.
But for those who already have an admit (in such great schools), why worry? you're in guys! Cheer up and don't get over anxious!
In the end of the day, if you are at a top school, it depends on YOU to be successful
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 12:53
This post received
KUDOS
Got waitlisted at Yale. I was expecting a DING. Super Excited.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41

Kudos [?]: 133 [1] , given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 12:55
This post received
KUDOS
lb2015 wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:
Does anyone knows when the last desposit deadline for Yale is?

Hmm good question. Doesn't appear to be on the website. For round 2, we got just over a month to decide, but I'm guessing it's less for round 3. Soooo maybe around the week starting June 1st?

I just found it and your guess was pretty accurate: June 7 is the deadline.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2012, 21:39
Despite being ranked in top 10 by USN, Yale does not seem to place its graduates much better than schools ranked around 11-16. Aside from having better GMAT/GPA stats, what makes Yale superior to other T16 schools? Some even told me Johnson, more established than SOM, has a better reputation in business in general.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.99

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2012, 21:54
Wow, I can't believe how excited I am to see this thread! I am in, hopefully for R1.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools: Yale - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 720 Q V
GPA: 3.76

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 14

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 13:56
Hey everyone,

I will be attending Yale SOM this Fall (class of 2014) and though I haven't yet arrived in New Haven, please let me know if I can help answer any general questions about the admissions process.

Best of luck!
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 46

Reviews Badge
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 16:51
PD2012 wrote:
Hey everyone,

I will be attending Yale SOM this Fall (class of 2014) and though I haven't yet arrived in New Haven, please let me know if I can help answer any general questions about the admissions process.

Best of luck!

Hello! What round did you apply? How quickly did you get invited interview after applying? (and after interview, about acceptance?)

The only way to atone for being occasionally a little over-dressed is by being always absolutely over-educated.
Oscar Wilde

Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 7

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2012, 05:51
Count me in as well. I like their essay structures, where they want 5 mini essays rather than 2 or 3 long ones.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools: Yale - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 720 Q V
GPA: 3.76

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 14

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2012, 19:59
notferprofit wrote:

Hello! What round did you apply? How quickly did you get invited interview after applying? (and after interview, about acceptance?)

Hey there!

I applied R2 on 1/05 (application deadline), received the interview invitation on 1/27, interviewed on 2/10, and received the acceptance phone call on 3/22 (decision deadline).

Also, OhDenny is an awesome resource (and cool dude!). Everyone should check out the story about his path to Yale SOM - it's loaded with insights & gems:

http://thesenator2014.wordpress.com/201 ... -part-one/
(part 1 of 3, check out the link at the bottom for the others)
Current Student
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 21

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2012, 21:44
I am definitely in. A convenient/easy visit to New Haven from NYC!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2012, 09:24
I'm in too..looking to apply in Round 1
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 14 Jul 2012, 09:24