Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 07:51

Starting Soon:

Live Q&A Session With Kristen Egan - Assistant Director of Admissions at Darden Business School.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools: Yale - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 720 Q V
GPA: 3.76
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 14

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 22:05
machichi wrote:
Just attended a Yale prospective student event, which was really awesome. The alumni were SO enthusiastic about their experiences. I'm even more excited about Yale SOM now!

Just read your blog post about attending the prospective student event and I can confirm (as a west coast transplant who would never experience such otherwise) - ice hockey club is awesome!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 11:01
Any current Yale 1st or 2nd years have 10 minutes to chat on the phone about the program? I live in Texas and don't have time to travel up there to see the school prior to submitting my app. PM me if you are available. Thanks!
VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 445 [0], given: 454

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 02:44
For the first question what does "when" mean? Is it asking a specific situation where I thought I should have had an mba and therefore ruling out the possibility of the thought bieng developed over time.
Can I say how I developed my LT goal (X); to achieve X it is essential I do Y (my ST goal) and to achieve Y I need an MBA.. I have probably turned it into a standard why mba why now question. Any suggestions?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 00:01
Hi..For the current Yale students who have worked on the response for:

If you have a graduate degree, how, if at all, does pursuing an MBA relate to your previous graduate studies?

Could you share any guidance for how career changers should approach this question.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2012, 20:37
jumsumtak wrote:
For the first question what does "when" mean? Is it asking a specific situation where I thought I should have had an mba and therefore ruling out the possibility of the thought bieng developed over time.
Can I say how I developed my LT goal (X); to achieve X it is essential I do Y (my ST goal) and to achieve Y I need an MBA.. I have probably turned it into a standard why mba why now question. Any suggestions?

I noticed this too and thought it was unique because I haven't seen any other school ask for a specific moment when you thought you needed an MBA.

I think the question is looking ideally for an "a-ha" moment when you needed it. In your situation, I would think about how you thought of your goals, what led you to coming up with those goals. Maybe you saw decisions being made around you and you knew you wanted to participate but didn't have enough skills? Or maybe it was during recruiting for a new job, and you realized you were being passed down because of lack of skills that an MBA would give you? Those are just some ideas, but yes, I think they are asking for a specific time. Also, especially since the word count is so low for that essay, I think they want you to just get to the point and describe a specific situation, rather than an progression of events.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 19:14
HI,

Need some advice regarding Yale SOM application.

I am from Mongolia, have 6 years of work experience in financial services sector.
I am planning to apply to round 1, however very concerned about my GMAT score 640. Is it too low for Yale?
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q V0
GPA: 3.7

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 19:36
Ward2012 wrote:
starlight1 wrote:
HI,

Need some advice regarding Yale SOM application.

I am from Mongolia, have 6 years of work experience in financial services sector.
I am planning to apply to round 1, however very concerned about my GMAT score 640. Is it too low for Yale?

I definitely agree with Ward2012's assessment. Yale is a slightly more difficult case than other major programs given their really small class size, so a lower GMAT is going go have a greater affect on their average GMAT score than say at a Harvard or Wharton. The sheer math means that Yale can't afford to gamble on many lower GMAT or GPA candidates. And judging by their median GMAT, they haven't chosen to either. Retake if there's a possibility you can improve your score for Rd 2.
Intern
Intern

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 20:02
Ward2012, haxx19,

Thank you very much for quick reply. It really helped me. I was naively thinking that my underrepresented citizenship can put me through. I guess it will help in Round 2 either. Will retake gmat and apply in round 2.

Thanks a lot!
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 539 [0], given: 29

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 01:17
Expert's post
starlight1 wrote:
Ward2012, haxx19,

Thank you very much for quick reply. It really helped me. I was naively thinking that my underrepresented citizenship can put me through. I guess it will help in Round 2 either. Will retake gmat and apply in round 2.

Thanks a lot!

Hmmm. never heard of anyone getting in on nationality alone. If your dad's the Prime Minister though, that might work :)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 17:25
JonAdmissionado wrote:
starlight1 wrote:
Ward2012, haxx19,

Thanks a lot!

Hmmm. never heard of anyone getting in on nationality alone. If your dad's the Prime Minister though, that might work :)

:-D

Unfortunately not a prime minister, not even close.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 22:35
Hi Jon,

I have a similar issue, but mine is with the GPA being just 2.8. I believe I did manage to compensate a bit with a GMAT of 730..but not sure if the GMAT is too far from the 80% range for Yale to consider my profile seriously.

Cheers,

Dylan

JonAdmissionado wrote:
starlight1 wrote:
Ward2012, haxx19,

Thanks a lot!

Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2012, 00:08
Is anyone else feeling cramped by the Yale essays? They are so short and mine feel so impersonal compared to the ones I've written for other schools. I just did a read-through of my whole application and I feel like I'm missing ME in there. Guh! I mean let's review:

1) When did you decide to get an MBA in 150 words. Um...I like MBAs, yay! I want it now! Okay next question...
2) Difficult PROFESSIONAL decision. Okay...keep it professional, what did I do, what did I learn...hmmm...the end.
3) So why Yale? And then what? Pretty cut and dry...
4) Significant accomplishment. This feels like the only place to spread my wings a bit, but we only have 300 words!

I dunno. Is it just me? Maybe they're really good at reading resumes and deciphering recs. I just want to shine and show them how awesome i think Yale is, and I'm not sure I am. :(

Sigh, pre-submit-button anxiety.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2012, 02:47
Expert's post
machichi wrote:
Is anyone else feeling cramped by the Yale essays? They are so short and mine feel so impersonal compared to the ones I've written for other schools. I just did a read-through of my whole application and I feel like I'm missing ME in there. Guh! I mean let's review:

1) When did you decide to get an MBA in 150 words. Um...I like MBAs, yay! I want it now! Okay next question...
2) Difficult PROFESSIONAL decision. Okay...keep it professional, what did I do, what did I learn...hmmm...the end.
4) Significant accomplishment. This feels like the only place to spread my wings a bit, but we only have 300 words!

I dunno. Is it just me? Maybe they're really good at reading resumes and deciphering recs. I just want to shine and show them how awesome i think Yale is, and I'm not sure I am. :(

Definitely have the same feeling but I don't think I'm tweaking my essays anymore...

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 22

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2012, 16:48
mba2014hopeful wrote:
machichi wrote:

Same problem here, although I think it's a good exercise in learning to write concisely and clearly. Having read many lengthy applications to a program this weekend I can sympathize with wanting shorter answers from candidates!
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.6
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 12:15
skm wrote:
mba2014hopeful wrote:
machichi wrote:

I have completely the same feeling. I have chosen the optional essay to give a little bit more color on my accoplishments. Another question guys: What do they mean with " If you have taken any of these tests more than two times, enter only the two highest scores." Does this only mean that one should only enter the scores of the two GMAT attempts (I have only taken the test twice). I first entered only my highest score into this online mask.

Also if I preview the application and download it, the scanned university transcripts appear upside down. Not in the general online preview, but only after I downloaded them. Does anyone else have the same probelms?
Current Student
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 21

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 13:09
BankerRU wrote:
Also if I preview the application and download it, the scanned university transcripts appear upside down. Not in the general online preview, but only after I downloaded them. Does anyone else have the same probelms?

Aren't most university transcripts layed out in Landscape as opposed to Portrait? I don't see how your transcript could be upside down if it's in Landscape.
I uploaded mine and one would have to tilt their head to the left to read it, if viewing from the monitor, but that's expected. I wouldn't worry too much even if it is upside down, as I'm certain they print everything out anyway.

The resume I uploaded was of course of Portrait orientation and it wasn't upside-down for me.

Try uploading from a different internet browser perhaps?
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.6
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 14:36
OjilEye wrote:
BankerRU wrote:

Aren't most university transcripts layed out in Landscape as opposed to Portrait? I don't see how your transcript could be upside down if it's in Landscape.
I uploaded mine and one would have to tilt their head to the left to read it, if viewing from the monitor, but that's expected. I wouldn't worry too much even if it is upside down, as I'm certain they print everything out anyway.

The resume I uploaded was of course of Portrait orientation and it wasn't upside-down for me.

Try uploading from a different internet browser perhaps?

Resumee works, They are portrait, am an international applicant. What about the othe question with the GMAT scores? Anyone?
Manager
Manager

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 12:42
Quote:
Hi..For the current Yale students who have worked on the response for:

If you have a graduate degree, how, if at all, does pursuing an MBA relate to your previous graduate studies?

Could you share any guidance for how career changers should approach this question.

I do not have a graduate degree (MS or MA etc). I assume this will be "N/A" for those who do not have one, correct ?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 14:50
Anyone having trouble fitting their response into the "Please provide any additional information you feel will help us understand these career interests more fully. (150 words maximum)" question??

My answer is 146 words, but it won't let me fill in the entire response....
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 46

Reviews Badge
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 06:33
are you all entering the essays into the boxes or uploading individual documents? will adcom care?

The only way to atone for being occasionally a little over-dressed is by being always absolutely over-educated.
Oscar Wilde

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2012, 06:33