Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Dec 2014, 01:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1269
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 434 [0], given: 281

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 05:10
Expert's post
jason12e wrote:
Thanks skm and mba2527!

I was actually afraid Hurricane Sandy would cause my interview to get moved. Will let you guys know how things turn out in a few minutes. ;)


Good luck!! Sending positive vibes your way :)

Posted from my mobile device Image
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 16 May 2012
Posts: 4
Schools: Darden '15 (M)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 06:37
u0422811 wrote:
BankerRUS wrote:
Guys, a quick question. I am an international applicant from Europe and would like to fly over for the campus interview since I want to visit Harvard and Columbia anyways (and took some holidays for this time before I knew anything about my Yale application)

What is better, to fly directly to New Heaven airport or JFK? JFK is cheaper and only 80 miles away. Nevertheless, how could I get from JFK to New Heaven? Is there any shuttle service I could book?

What is the dresscode for the campus visit and the interview? I assume that everything happens during one day so there is no chance to wear something casual and then a suit....



Fly into JFK. Take the Air Tran to the E Train to Grand Central (total cost $7.75). Then get a ticket on the metro north to New Haven at Grand Central (this will be sub $20).

A cab and car would be much more expensive.


I am coming from the South and have virtually no experience in NYC. I am planning on flying into NY and catching the Metro-North. Do you recommend JFK or is LGA just as good? I pulled up the Metro-North website, which is not helpful at the moment because it is the Hurricane Sandy advisory. Also, could I depend on that train to be running late November or is it jacked up from the hurricane? How often do the trains run? Thanks!
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 70
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 22

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 06:40
jason12e wrote:
Thanks aerien!

Done with my Skype interview. I guess that caps my application journey to Yale SOM. Now the waiting begins...
I wish everyone luck with theirs (whether you're waiting for your interview day or for an interview invite). ;)

I know this is premature since I haven't been accepted yet, but if I could just share some thoughts/ideas on the interview:

1. The interview is not something that you need to "beat".
Think of it as a blank paper that you can use to write to the admissions committee to convince them more on why they should admit you into the program. My interviewer mentioned he will be writing a report about the whole conversation that we had to the committee, and that the final decision of course still rests with the admissions committee.

2. SELL yourself.
Make sure that you go into the interview prepared, and this means you know what "packaging" you made in the paper application and that it stays consistent with what you're saying in the interview.

3. Sell YOURSELF
Present yourself in the most positive light, but make sure it's still YOU that you're presenting.
Billy Joel could not have put it better: Don't go changing to try and please me...


That's all I have to say. ;)

God bless us all!


Thanks Jason - this is great advice! Sounds like it was fairly low-stress, right?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 70
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 22

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 06:44
transitioning wrote:
u0422811 wrote:
BankerRUS wrote:
Guys, a quick question. I am an international applicant from Europe and would like to fly over for the campus interview since I want to visit Harvard and Columbia anyways (and took some holidays for this time before I knew anything about my Yale application)

What is better, to fly directly to New Heaven airport or JFK? JFK is cheaper and only 80 miles away. Nevertheless, how could I get from JFK to New Heaven? Is there any shuttle service I could book?

What is the dresscode for the campus visit and the interview? I assume that everything happens during one day so there is no chance to wear something casual and then a suit....



Fly into JFK. Take the Air Tran to the E Train to Grand Central (total cost $7.75). Then get a ticket on the metro north to New Haven at Grand Central (this will be sub $20).

A cab and car would be much more expensive.


I am coming from the South and have virtually no experience in NYC. I am planning on flying into NY and catching the Metro-North. Do you recommend JFK or is LGA just as good? I pulled up the Metro-North website, which is not helpful at the moment because it is the Hurricane Sandy advisory. Also, could I depend on that train to be running late November or is it jacked up from the hurricane? How often do the trains run? Thanks!


It's really difficult to say at the moment as late November is very far away. People say there is a lot of water in the tunnels right now with no estimate of when normal service will be coming back. Metro-North had its power knocked out. While New Haven is fine, the towns you travel through to get to New Haven (Westport, Fairfield, etc.) were hit very hard.

Airports - LGA is apparently underwater right now. If the water clears out, I think you're okay with either one - there are airport shuttles from LGA and JFK to Grand Central. You might want to book JFK just to be on the safe side since it's already reopened.

When there is normal service, trains run from Grand Central to New Haven about once every hour - sometimes every half-hour during peak times.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2012
Posts: 71
Location: Philippines
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 08:04
skm wrote:
jason12e wrote:
Thanks aerien!

Done with my Skype interview. I guess that caps my application journey to Yale SOM. Now the waiting begins...
I wish everyone luck with theirs (whether you're waiting for your interview day or for an interview invite). ;)

I know this is premature since I haven't been accepted yet, but if I could just share some thoughts/ideas on the interview:

1. The interview is not something that you need to "beat".
Think of it as a blank paper that you can use to write to the admissions committee to convince them more on why they should admit you into the program. My interviewer mentioned he will be writing a report about the whole conversation that we had to the committee, and that the final decision of course still rests with the admissions committee.

2. SELL yourself.
Make sure that you go into the interview prepared, and this means you know what "packaging" you made in the paper application and that it stays consistent with what you're saying in the interview.

3. Sell YOURSELF
Present yourself in the most positive light, but make sure it's still YOU that you're presenting.
Billy Joel could not have put it better: Don't go changing to try and please me...


That's all I have to say. ;)

God bless us all!


Thanks Jason - this is great advice! Sounds like it was fairly low-stress, right?


Yup! Definitely nothing to stress about if you come in prepared and fully aware of what you want to share and communicate with the interviewer.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2012
Posts: 22
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.99
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 08:36
jason12e wrote:
Thanks aerien!

Done with my Skype interview. I guess that caps my application journey to Yale SOM. Now the waiting begins...
I wish everyone luck with theirs (whether you're waiting for your interview day or for an interview invite). ;)

I know this is premature since I haven't been accepted yet, but if I could just share some thoughts/ideas on the interview:

1. The interview is not something that you need to "beat".
Think of it as a blank paper that you can use to write to the admissions committee to convince them more on why they should admit you into the program. My interviewer mentioned he will be writing a report about the whole conversation that we had to the committee, and that the final decision of course still rests with the admissions committee.

2. SELL yourself.
Make sure that you go into the interview prepared, and this means you know what "packaging" you made in the paper application and that it stays consistent with what you're saying in the interview.

3. Sell YOURSELF
Present yourself in the most positive light, but make sure it's still YOU that you're presenting.
Billy Joel could not have put it better: Don't go changing to try and please me...


That's all I have to say. ;)

God bless us all!



Congrats! Sounds like it went really well, thanks for sharing your afterthoughts. The LI girl in me appreciates you speaking my language with Billy Joel lyrics ;)

I had a dream about b-school interviews last night, it felt so real. I'm hoping soon it will be!
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2011
Posts: 66
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GRE 1: 1440 Q770 V670
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 8

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 09:00
I have mine scheduled in next 16 hours via Skype. Thanks for the inputs Jason.

How long did it last? Did you also wear a suit for skype interview?

Cheers again.
_________________

Vanishing Nerd

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2012
Posts: 58
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 11:54
transitioning wrote:
u0422811 wrote:
BankerRUS wrote:
Guys, a quick question. I am an international applicant from Europe and would like to fly over for the campus interview since I want to visit Harvard and Columbia anyways (and took some holidays for this time before I knew anything about my Yale application)

What is better, to fly directly to New Heaven airport or JFK? JFK is cheaper and only 80 miles away. Nevertheless, how could I get from JFK to New Heaven? Is there any shuttle service I could book?

What is the dresscode for the campus visit and the interview? I assume that everything happens during one day so there is no chance to wear something casual and then a suit....



Fly into JFK. Take the Air Tran to the E Train to Grand Central (total cost $7.75). Then get a ticket on the metro north to New Haven at Grand Central (this will be sub $20).

A cab and car would be much more expensive.


I am coming from the South and have virtually no experience in NYC. I am planning on flying into NY and catching the Metro-North. Do you recommend JFK or is LGA just as good? I pulled up the Metro-North website, which is not helpful at the moment because it is the Hurricane Sandy advisory. Also, could I depend on that train to be running late November or is it jacked up from the hurricane? How often do the trains run? Thanks!


Hey, write me a message when you have your interview..I will fly over from Europe next week and have rented a car to go from NY to New Heaven... If your interview is on the same day, I can give you a ride...
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2012
Posts: 71
Location: Philippines
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 17:50
vanishingnerd wrote:
I have mine scheduled in next 16 hours via Skype. Thanks for the inputs Jason.

How long did it last? Did you also wear a suit for skype interview?

Cheers again.



Mine lasted for about 30 mins. I wore a suit, as someone suggested here in this thread.

Good luck with your interview!
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 572
Location: United States
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 21:03
transitioning wrote:
u0422811 wrote:
BankerRUS wrote:
Guys, a quick question. I am an international applicant from Europe and would like to fly over for the campus interview since I want to visit Harvard and Columbia anyways (and took some holidays for this time before I knew anything about my Yale application)

What is better, to fly directly to New Heaven airport or JFK? JFK is cheaper and only 80 miles away. Nevertheless, how could I get from JFK to New Heaven? Is there any shuttle service I could book?

What is the dresscode for the campus visit and the interview? I assume that everything happens during one day so there is no chance to wear something casual and then a suit....



Fly into JFK. Take the Air Tran to the E Train to Grand Central (total cost $7.75). Then get a ticket on the metro north to New Haven at Grand Central (this will be sub $20).

A cab and car would be much more expensive.


I am coming from the South and have virtually no experience in NYC. I am planning on flying into NY and catching the Metro-North. Do you recommend JFK or is LGA just as good? I pulled up the Metro-North website, which is not helpful at the moment because it is the Hurricane Sandy advisory. Also, could I depend on that train to be running late November or is it jacked up from the hurricane? How often do the trains run? Thanks!


There are also some shuttles that go straight from the airport to New Haven. It will be more expensive, but may be worth saving the hassle.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Posts: 11
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 07:09
any idea of when the last interview invites for r1 might be coming along?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 70
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 22

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 08:06
vanishingnerd wrote:
Ok! Done with my interview today (via Skype). Was interviewed by a second year graduate w/ background in non-profit management. It seems SOM clubs interviewers and interviewee with similar profiles and career interests. Unlike what I had imagined, my interview was very to-the-point, started and finished in 30mins.

My 2 cents for future candidates: Keep your answers to the point, else they interrupt you if you stretch it too long. I was interrupted towards the end of my team-building experience story.

As Jason previous pointed out, sell yourself and know your pitch cold. I am sure they will map the interview assessment with the application we earlier submitted. All the best to everyone. Now the wait begins for the final call.

Cheers.


Thanks for sharing, VN! The information about the background of your interviewer is also interesting - was anyone else 'matched' in a similar fashion?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2012
Posts: 71
Location: Philippines
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 15:59
Now that Vanishing Nerd mentioned it, I think I was also somewhat matched with my interviewer. He was an international student, although that's all the connection I could make. :P
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2012
Posts: 71
Location: Philippines
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 16:56
mrsjonstewart wrote:


Congrats! Sounds like it went really well, thanks for sharing your afterthoughts. The LI girl in me appreciates you speaking my language with Billy Joel lyrics ;)

I had a dream about b-school interviews last night, it felt so real. I'm hoping soon it will be!


If you can dream it, you can do it!

Good luck with yours, Long Island Lady! ;)
Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1269
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 434 [0], given: 281

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 18:11
Expert's post
vanishingnerd wrote:
Ok! Done with my interview today (via Skype). Was interviewed by a second year graduate w/ background in non-profit management. It seems SOM clubs interviewers and interviewee with similar profiles and career interests. Unlike what I had imagined, my interview was very to-the-point, started and finished in 30mins.

My 2 cents for future candidates: Keep your answers to the point, else they interrupt you if you stretch it too long. I was interrupted towards the end of my team-building experience story.

As Jason previous pointed out, sell yourself and know your pitch cold. I am sure they will map the interview assessment with the application we earlier submitted. All the best to everyone. Now the wait begins for the final call.

Cheers.


Thanks for telling us about your experience, vanishingnerd! Good luck come December :)
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Posts: 49
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Consumer Products)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 55

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 21:14
MAJMMM wrote:
Again, as a 1st year, if anyone is coming in for an interview and want to meet some of us, relax before the interview, or hang out after, please message me. More than happy to help.


Sigh, I do love the Yalies.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2012
Posts: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q V0
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 09:04
Looks like invites are going out again. Just got mine.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 19 Oct 2012
Posts: 98
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 32

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 09:06
haxx19 wrote:
Looks like invites are going out again. Just got mine.


Congrats. Same here, just got my invite as well! Definitely a great way to start the weekend.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 70
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 22

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 09:17
NYCFinanceGuy wrote:
haxx19 wrote:
Looks like invites are going out again. Just got mine.


Congrats. Same here, just got my invite as well! Definitely a great way to start the weekend.


Congrats to both of you! Keep them coming! :)
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Disbelief! The Countdown Begins
Affiliations: CFA
Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Posts: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 7

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 09:21
Yes, keep them coming!

I thought today was going to be my day, but alas it appears they have gone out and I have seen nothing.
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 02 Nov 2012, 09:21
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
12 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Yale SOM 2014 Waitlisted Applicants mbamyway 61 11 Dec 2013, 14:27
287 Experts publish their posts in the topic Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants aerien 1287 06 Jul 2012, 18:10
13 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants Dbalks 159 13 Dec 2012, 16:57
7 Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! IHateTheGMAT 422 20 Jul 2008, 21:45
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  17   18   19   20   21   22   23  ...  65    Next  [ 1288 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.