Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 21
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 19:14
HI,

Need some advice regarding Yale SOM application.

I am from Mongolia, have 6 years of work experience in financial services sector.
I am planning to apply to round 1, however very concerned about my GMAT score 640. Is it too low for Yale?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 572
Location: United States
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 135 [1] , given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 19:28
1
This post received
KUDOS
starlight1 wrote:
HI,

Need some advice regarding Yale SOM application.

I am from Mongolia, have 6 years of work experience in financial services sector.
I am planning to apply to round 1, however very concerned about my GMAT score 640. Is it too low for Yale?


If I had to bet, I'd say your GMAT is too low. Look at http://www.newgmat.org/good-gmat-score-yale/, and you'll see that the range of GMAT scores for Yale is 680 - 760, and their mean is 722. If they take you, you'd be pulling their average down.

But it's hard to say without knowing more about your essays, your GPA, the quality of your letters of recommendations, your extracurriculars and other parts of your application. Being from Mongolia will give you points on the diversity scale, and Yale may take a chance on you if the rest of your application is strong.

However, if you have time and think you can do better, I would take the GMAT again and apply in Round 2.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2012
Posts: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q V0
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 19:36
Ward2012 wrote:
starlight1 wrote:
HI,

Need some advice regarding Yale SOM application.

I am from Mongolia, have 6 years of work experience in financial services sector.
I am planning to apply to round 1, however very concerned about my GMAT score 640. Is it too low for Yale?



I definitely agree with Ward2012's assessment. Yale is a slightly more difficult case than other major programs given their really small class size, so a lower GMAT is going go have a greater affect on their average GMAT score than say at a Harvard or Wharton. The sheer math means that Yale can't afford to gamble on many lower GMAT or GPA candidates. And judging by their median GMAT, they haven't chosen to either. Retake if there's a possibility you can improve your score for Rd 2.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 21
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 20:02
Ward2012, haxx19,

Thank you very much for quick reply. It really helped me. I was naively thinking that my underrepresented citizenship can put me through. I guess it will help in Round 2 either. Will retake gmat and apply in round 2.

Thanks a lot!
Expert Post
Admissionado
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 3345
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 01:17
Expert's post
starlight1 wrote:
Ward2012, haxx19,

Thank you very much for quick reply. It really helped me. I was naively thinking that my underrepresented citizenship can put me through. I guess it will help in Round 2 either. Will retake gmat and apply in round 2.

Thanks a lot!


Hmmm. never heard of anyone getting in on nationality alone. If your dad's the Prime Minister though, that might work :)
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 21
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 17:25
JonAdmissionado wrote:
starlight1 wrote:
Ward2012, haxx19,

Thank you very much for quick reply. It really helped me. I was naively thinking that my underrepresented citizenship can put me through. I guess it will help in Round 2 either. Will retake gmat and apply in round 2.

Thanks a lot!


Hmmm. never heard of anyone getting in on nationality alone. If your dad's the Prime Minister though, that might work :)



:-D

Unfortunately not a prime minister, not even close.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Nov 2011
Posts: 73
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 22:35
Hi Jon,

I have a similar issue, but mine is with the GPA being just 2.8. I believe I did manage to compensate a bit with a GMAT of 730..but not sure if the GMAT is too far from the 80% range for Yale to consider my profile seriously.

Cheers,

Dylan

JonAdmissionado wrote:
starlight1 wrote:
Ward2012, haxx19,

Thank you very much for quick reply. It really helped me. I was naively thinking that my underrepresented citizenship can put me through. I guess it will help in Round 2 either. Will retake gmat and apply in round 2.

Thanks a lot!


Hmmm. never heard of anyone getting in on nationality alone. If your dad's the Prime Minister though, that might work :)
Current Student
avatar
Status: Yale! (whipped and bound)
Joined: 02 May 2012
Posts: 404
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2012, 00:08
Is anyone else feeling cramped by the Yale essays? They are so short and mine feel so impersonal compared to the ones I've written for other schools. I just did a read-through of my whole application and I feel like I'm missing ME in there. Guh! I mean let's review:

1) When did you decide to get an MBA in 150 words. Um...I like MBAs, yay! I want it now! Okay next question...
2) Difficult PROFESSIONAL decision. Okay...keep it professional, what did I do, what did I learn...hmmm...the end.
3) So why Yale? And then what? Pretty cut and dry...
4) Significant accomplishment. This feels like the only place to spread my wings a bit, but we only have 300 words!

I dunno. Is it just me? Maybe they're really good at reading resumes and deciphering recs. I just want to shine and show them how awesome i think Yale is, and I'm not sure I am. :(

Sigh, pre-submit-button anxiety.
_________________

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1252
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 414 [0], given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2012, 02:47
Expert's post
machichi wrote:
Is anyone else feeling cramped by the Yale essays? They are so short and mine feel so impersonal compared to the ones I've written for other schools. I just did a read-through of my whole application and I feel like I'm missing ME in there. Guh! I mean let's review:

1) When did you decide to get an MBA in 150 words. Um...I like MBAs, yay! I want it now! Okay next question...
2) Difficult PROFESSIONAL decision. Okay...keep it professional, what did I do, what did I learn...hmmm...the end.
3) So why Yale? And then what? Pretty cut and dry...
4) Significant accomplishment. This feels like the only place to spread my wings a bit, but we only have 300 words!

I dunno. Is it just me? Maybe they're really good at reading resumes and deciphering recs. I just want to shine and show them how awesome i think Yale is, and I'm not sure I am. :(

Sigh, pre-submit-button anxiety.


Definitely have the same feeling but I don't think I'm tweaking my essays anymore...

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 70
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 22

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2012, 16:48
mba2014hopeful wrote:
machichi wrote:
Is anyone else feeling cramped by the Yale essays? They are so short and mine feel so impersonal compared to the ones I've written for other schools. I just did a read-through of my whole application and I feel like I'm missing ME in there. Guh! I mean let's review:

1) When did you decide to get an MBA in 150 words. Um...I like MBAs, yay! I want it now! Okay next question...
2) Difficult PROFESSIONAL decision. Okay...keep it professional, what did I do, what did I learn...hmmm...the end.
3) So why Yale? And then what? Pretty cut and dry...
4) Significant accomplishment. This feels like the only place to spread my wings a bit, but we only have 300 words!

I dunno. Is it just me? Maybe they're really good at reading resumes and deciphering recs. I just want to shine and show them how awesome i think Yale is, and I'm not sure I am. :(

Sigh, pre-submit-button anxiety.



Same problem here, although I think it's a good exercise in learning to write concisely and clearly. Having read many lengthy applications to a program this weekend I can sympathize with wanting shorter answers from candidates!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2012
Posts: 6
GPA: 3.6
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 12:15
skm wrote:
mba2014hopeful wrote:
machichi wrote:
Is anyone else feeling cramped by the Yale essays? They are so short and mine feel so impersonal compared to the ones I've written for other schools. I just did a read-through of my whole application and I feel like I'm missing ME in there. Guh! I mean let's review:

1) When did you decide to get an MBA in 150 words. Um...I like MBAs, yay! I want it now! Okay next question...
2) Difficult PROFESSIONAL decision. Okay...keep it professional, what did I do, what did I learn...hmmm...the end.
3) So why Yale? And then what? Pretty cut and dry...
4) Significant accomplishment. This feels like the only place to spread my wings a bit, but we only have 300 words!

I dunno. Is it just me? Maybe they're really good at reading resumes and deciphering recs. I just want to shine and show them how awesome i think Yale is, and I'm not sure I am. :(

Sigh, pre-submit-button anxiety.


I have completely the same feeling. I have chosen the optional essay to give a little bit more color on my accoplishments. Another question guys: What do they mean with " If you have taken any of these tests more than two times, enter only the two highest scores." Does this only mean that one should only enter the scores of the two GMAT attempts (I have only taken the test twice). I first entered only my highest score into this online mask.

Also if I preview the application and download it, the scanned university transcripts appear upside down. Not in the general online preview, but only after I downloaded them. Does anyone else have the same probelms?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2011
Posts: 153
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 21

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 13:09
BankerRU wrote:
Also if I preview the application and download it, the scanned university transcripts appear upside down. Not in the general online preview, but only after I downloaded them. Does anyone else have the same probelms?


Aren't most university transcripts layed out in Landscape as opposed to Portrait? I don't see how your transcript could be upside down if it's in Landscape.
I uploaded mine and one would have to tilt their head to the left to read it, if viewing from the monitor, but that's expected. I wouldn't worry too much even if it is upside down, as I'm certain they print everything out anyway.

The resume I uploaded was of course of Portrait orientation and it wasn't upside-down for me.

Try uploading from a different internet browser perhaps?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2012
Posts: 6
GPA: 3.6
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 14:36
OjilEye wrote:
BankerRU wrote:
Also if I preview the application and download it, the scanned university transcripts appear upside down. Not in the general online preview, but only after I downloaded them. Does anyone else have the same probelms?


Aren't most university transcripts layed out in Landscape as opposed to Portrait? I don't see how your transcript could be upside down if it's in Landscape.
I uploaded mine and one would have to tilt their head to the left to read it, if viewing from the monitor, but that's expected. I wouldn't worry too much even if it is upside down, as I'm certain they print everything out anyway.

The resume I uploaded was of course of Portrait orientation and it wasn't upside-down for me.

Try uploading from a different internet browser perhaps?


Resumee works, They are portrait, am an international applicant. What about the othe question with the GMAT scores? Anyone?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2011
Posts: 59
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 12:42
Quote:
Hi..For the current Yale students who have worked on the response for:

If you have a graduate degree, how, if at all, does pursuing an MBA relate to your previous graduate studies?

Could you share any guidance for how career changers should approach this question.


I do not have a graduate degree (MS or MA etc). I assume this will be "N/A" for those who do not have one, correct ?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Status: Yale! (whipped and bound)
Joined: 02 May 2012
Posts: 404
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 133 [1] , given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 13:19
1
This post received
KUDOS
naiksarah wrote:
Quote:
Hi..For the current Yale students who have worked on the response for:

If you have a graduate degree, how, if at all, does pursuing an MBA relate to your previous graduate studies?

Could you share any guidance for how career changers should approach this question.


I do not have a graduate degree (MS or MA etc). I assume this will be "N/A" for those who do not have one, correct ?


Is this a rhetorical question? What else would you put in there? You certainly can't make up an answer...
_________________

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Applying to enroll in 2013
Joined: 12 Mar 2011
Posts: 62
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 14:50
Anyone having trouble fitting their response into the "Please provide any additional information you feel will help us understand these career interests more fully. (150 words maximum)" question??

My answer is 146 words, but it won't let me fill in the entire response....
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Matriculating at Stern as a Consortium Fellow !
Joined: 28 Jun 2012
Posts: 119
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 46

Reviews Badge
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 06:33
are you all entering the essays into the boxes or uploading individual documents? will adcom care?
_________________

The only way to atone for being occasionally a little over-dressed is by being always absolutely over-educated.
Oscar Wilde

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 70
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 22

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 06:52
notferprofit wrote:
are you all entering the essays into the boxes or uploading individual documents? will adcom care?


I'm tentatively going with uploading everything as individual documents, if only because I feel (correctly or incorrectly) that it gives me more control over how the documents are displayed, particularly if I put them in PDF format. This could be a totally wrong assumption, but I don't have as much faith in a text box as I do in something I have formatted myself, so it gives me a slightly less nervous feeling when hitting submit.

I think if adcom cared one way or another they would probably not give us an option.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Applying to enroll in 2013
Joined: 12 Mar 2011
Posts: 62
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 06:54
skm wrote:
notferprofit wrote:
are you all entering the essays into the boxes or uploading individual documents? will adcom care?


I'm tentatively going with uploading everything as individual documents, if only because I feel (correctly or incorrectly) that it gives me more control over how the documents are displayed, particularly if I put them in PDF format. This could be a totally wrong assumption, but I don't have as much faith in a text box as I do in something I have formatted myself, so it gives me a slightly less nervous feeling when hitting submit.

I think if adcom cared one way or another they would probably not give us an option.

I'm refering to the short answer on the "Work Experience" section. My answer gets cut off. I've reached out to adcom and will let you know what i hear.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 70
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 22

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 07:11
mtk232 wrote:
skm wrote:
notferprofit wrote:
are you all entering the essays into the boxes or uploading individual documents? will adcom care?


I'm tentatively going with uploading everything as individual documents, if only because I feel (correctly or incorrectly) that it gives me more control over how the documents are displayed, particularly if I put them in PDF format. This could be a totally wrong assumption, but I don't have as much faith in a text box as I do in something I have formatted myself, so it gives me a slightly less nervous feeling when hitting submit.

I think if adcom cared one way or another they would probably not give us an option.

I'm refering to the short answer on the "Work Experience" section. My answer gets cut off. I've reached out to adcom and will let you know what i hear.


I haven't had this issue, either with the goals section or the gap in employment section.
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2012, 07:11
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
287 Experts publish their posts in the topic Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants aerien 1287 06 Jul 2012, 18:10
13 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants Dbalks 159 13 Dec 2012, 16:57
268 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants Richaarora22 2001 10 Jun 2010, 10:30
63 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants nink 913 02 Jul 2009, 06:55
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  65    Next  [ 1288 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.