Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 14:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [2] , given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 10:39
This post received
KUDOS
I love decision time! Yale vs. Darden is tough, but if you want to do any kind of social impact work, Yale is heads above the rest. It will suck to lose your deposit, so I am sure you have a tough decision to make. That said, they both are known for their tight-knit community feel.

Come to Welcome Weekend and see what you think!

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 5

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 10:57
This post received
KUDOS
I am in :) :) ! Goshh feels quite awesome on getting an admit !! Got a mail from Bruce couple of hours ago. Applicant from New Delhi, India.

Finally the ordeal seems to have concluded. Sad that I can't make it to the admit weekend on 19th-20th April. Hopefully they will have a similar event in India :)

Man!! Can't stop grinning :)
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 2

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 14:14
This post received
KUDOS
Hi folks,
Congratulations to all the accepted candidates!

I was accepted this afternoon with no mention of scholarship funding. Should I assume that I will not be awarded any?

I need to decide tonight if I'll enroll in INSEAD and some funding from SOM might tip the balance.

Thanks!
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q V0
GPA: 3.4

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 16:20
This post received
KUDOS
I got an email asking me to check my status. Thought it was a ding or WL but it's a congratulation letter! I'm thrilled!!!!

Posted from my mobile device Image
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.1
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 6

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 17:05
This post received
KUDOS
@aerien can't wait to meet you! i've been following this thread for a while, along with the anderson one and looks like i'm coming here!
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [2] , given: 107

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 06:13
This post received
KUDOS
Decided to matriculate! No convincing from machichi required (though I'm still down for brunch on Sunday during the Admitted Students Weekend!).

Losing the Darden deposit hurts a little, but what's a $1000 in the face of a mortgage-size student debt obligation? ;)

I was going to procrastinate cleaning by booking a hotel for ASW--any recommendations?
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [2] , given: 80

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 04:36
This post received
KUDOS
hailmary620 wrote:
I am applying to SOM in round 3. Does anyone know the destinations of the 2014 international trips in Spring? They had one in Dubai in 2013, but not sure if they will go back there again next Spring.

Don't think they've picked these yet. It'd be a safe bet that most of them will come from the Global Network for Advanced Management countries (I went to Japan and our trip included an alumni reception that was attended by current MBAs from our sister school, Hitotsubashi), though the UAE was not one of those countries this year, so it's possible that there'll be a couple of outliers. However, if you're including it in your application I think it's totally fair game to reference past trips. I talked about India and Israel, both of which did not happen this year.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 409 [2] , given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 16:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
prospectus7 wrote:
I don't appreciate paying $225 for Yale to review my application and then they throw a last minute fake requirement onto me because they don't have enough resources to conduct proper interviews. They can get bent. Not doing it. And I plan on calling up the AdCom to let them know that a last minute video interview request makes them look scattered and incompetent. What prevented them from announcing this might be a possibility from the start? Nothing. It was a poorly planned last ditch effort to cover their understaffed asses.

Posted from my mobile device Image

IMO Round 3 is a wildcard for any school. Yale isn't the first school to put something new into their R3 application, nor will it be the last. Wharton started the Team Based Discussions (TBDs) in last year's R3 cycle; Ross started them in this year's R2 cycle even. Booth included a video component for it's waitlisted candidates. The R3/April/May/June time is a chance for schools to try out something new/"innovative" with a smaller sample size and a more limited time frame -- to see if it's something worth rolling out in a larger scope the following year(s).

Hailmary is exactly right: at this stage of the process, you want the school more than the school wants you. If you don't want to submit a video, many more applicants will more than willingly do so in your place. If you have other schools you've been accepted to, maybe this is a sign that you've already made up your mind to go elsewhere. Congratulations, and ... now is probably a good time to let this one go.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 May 2013, 06:35
This post received
KUDOS
FYI for anyone debating the Wowzer video interview.

The video interview IS required of everyone. And per a phone conversation with admissions, if you submit it now, they will review it to round out your application.

Doesn't seem worth risking, so I would advise all interested in going to Yale to do it. I'd say to do it with minimal prep and than not to do it all- even if chances are slim at this stage. Who knows, maybe it'll be used to get you on the wait list.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Yale '15 (M)

Kudos [?]: 14 [2] , given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 05:44
This post received
KUDOS
Admissions Haiku:

My phone is ringing
I'm hoping its news from Yale
It is just my boss

It's only quarter to ten EST and I'm already going insane.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 119

Kudos [?]: 557 [1] , given: 114

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 16:00
This post received
KUDOS
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 12:11
This post received
KUDOS
OhDenny wrote:
Not quite. They are saying that it will be done by second semester of next academic year ('13 - '14), but I personally am hoping for a full year in the building.

As an incoming '14-er, I'm with Denny on this one. I'd like to think that construction is ahead of schedule due to the unusually mild winter in the Northeast last year, but Dean Snyder sent out an internal note earlier this summer reaffirming the January 2014 move-in date. We'll see!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 131 [1] , given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 18:23
This post received
KUDOS
mrsjonstewart wrote:
You may have seen this in another post about letters of rec, but the very wise Cheetarah1980 suggested creating a dummy email/recommender so you can get access to the questions and then deleting that recommender once you're ready to list the real ones.

Thanks, great call! I did it and here they are for others:

Please write an assessment of the applicant that addresses the prompts below. We are looking for your candid and accurate assessment of the applicant's potential to be a successful leader and what specific traits the applicant possesses that evidence this potential. Please be as specific as possible and use concrete examples where applicable. Do not incorporate anything drafted by the candidate in your recommendation or have the candidate submit the recommendation on your behalf.
• Please comment on the context of your interaction with the applicant. How long have you known the applicant and in what connection? If applicable, briefly describe the applicant's role in your organization. (250 words)
• Please describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response. (250 words)
• How does the applicant's performance compare to other well-qualified individuals in similar roles? (250 words)
• Please make additional statements about the applicant's performance, potential or personal qualities you believe would be helpful to the admissions committee. (250 words)

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2012, 20:58
This post received
KUDOS
Just attended a Yale prospective student event, which was really awesome. The alumni were SO enthusiastic about their experiences. I'm even more excited about Yale SOM now!

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 131 [1] , given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 19:28
This post received
KUDOS
starlight1 wrote:
HI,

Need some advice regarding Yale SOM application.

I am from Mongolia, have 6 years of work experience in financial services sector.
I am planning to apply to round 1, however very concerned about my GMAT score 640. Is it too low for Yale?

If I had to bet, I'd say your GMAT is too low. Look at http://www.newgmat.org/good-gmat-score-yale/, and you'll see that the range of GMAT scores for Yale is 680 - 760, and their mean is 722. If they take you, you'd be pulling their average down.

But it's hard to say without knowing more about your essays, your GPA, the quality of your letters of recommendations, your extracurriculars and other parts of your application. Being from Mongolia will give you points on the diversity scale, and Yale may take a chance on you if the rest of your application is strong.

However, if you have time and think you can do better, I would take the GMAT again and apply in Round 2.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 13:19
This post received
KUDOS
naiksarah wrote:
Quote:
Hi..For the current Yale students who have worked on the response for:

If you have a graduate degree, how, if at all, does pursuing an MBA relate to your previous graduate studies?

Could you share any guidance for how career changers should approach this question.

I do not have a graduate degree (MS or MA etc). I assume this will be "N/A" for those who do not have one, correct ?

Is this a rhetorical question? What else would you put in there? You certainly can't make up an answer...

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: 329 Q164 V165
GPA: 3.74
WE: Asset Management (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 24

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 14:16
This post received
KUDOS
Apparently, Yale moves fast - I just got an invitation to interview today.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 74 [1] , given: 7

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 06:10
This post received
KUDOS
The worst part of this is, the feeling that I dont know if my application has been read or not yet. I am wondering, have they read it and put it down because it wasnt enticing enough? And the optimistic part of me tells me mine is one of the few apps left still in the pile.

I never really considered myself a control freak, but I guess this kind of makes me one. Now that this is out of my control, I can't sit still
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [1] , given: 21

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2012, 12:54
This post received
KUDOS
I JUST GOT AN E-MAIL

...from my Dad wishing me luck in this process.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [1] , given: 21

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 05:20
This post received
KUDOS
machichi wrote:
OjilEye wrote:
I JUST GOT AN E-MAIL...from my Dad wishing me luck in this process.

You are such a dork. Hahahaha. I haven't even gotten THAT email! :)

:) just thought I'd shake this thread up a bit. seemed a bit quiet.. but I'm sure more good news is on the way for a lot of GMATClubbers!
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2012, 05:20