Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 22:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 61 [1] , given: 2

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 12:59
This post received
KUDOS
BankerRUS wrote:
Guys, a quick question. I am an international applicant from Europe and would like to fly over for the campus interview since I want to visit Harvard and Columbia anyways (and took some holidays for this time before I knew anything about my Yale application)

What is better, to fly directly to New Heaven airport or JFK? JFK is cheaper and only 80 miles away. Nevertheless, how could I get from JFK to New Heaven? Is there any shuttle service I could book?

What is the dresscode for the campus visit and the interview? I assume that everything happens during one day so there is no chance to wear something casual and then a suit....

Fly into JFK. Take the Air Tran to the E Train to Grand Central (total cost $7.75). Then get a ticket on the metro north to New Haven at Grand Central (this will be sub $20).

A cab and car would be much more expensive.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 74 [1] , given: 7

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 10:16
This post received
KUDOS
I will not be fooled and excited by todays 4:15 letter from the admissions office telling me all of the exciting things going on at Yale. I will not be fooled, I will not be fooled. It is not an interview invite, just an admissions newsletter.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 80

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 15:07
This post received
KUDOS
Melodania wrote:
Hey guys,
Could anyone throw some light on how Yale hands out dings? If not selected to interview, can I expect a rejection mail in my inbox anytime now, or will that decision also be communicated only on the last day?

The wait only gets more and more excruciating.

How it happened last year: Acceptance calls typically started in the afternoon on the day of notification, and not any earlier. Some international applicants got e-mails with their acceptances, though most received phone calls. ALL of the e-mails, acceptances, waitlists, and dings got sent out late on that day. There were a number of waitlisted candidates on GMAT Club last year, as I recall.

The wait sucks, but it ain't over til it's over. I wrote a business plan while I was waiting for my interview invites, and then my in/ding e-mails, just to take my mind off of the waiting.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 22

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 15:51
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys - I left work today at 5 pm thinking 'another day over'...and an invitation to interview came through while I was working off application stress at the gym.

Background: East Coast, female, nonprofit sector, WE: 7 years. Good luck all!

Last edited by skm on 25 Oct 2012, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 3

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 11:05
This post received
KUDOS
Seriously...

I just try to be as pessimistic about it as possible. That way I can only be pleasantly surprised.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 12:26
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats to the two people who just got invites. Looks like another batch has gone out. Hope is falling really fast for me.

Optimistic Dbalks: You live close to New Haven and its easy for you to get there. They will let people from further away make travel arrangements and get interview slots first.
Pessimistic Dbalks: You suck. Youve always sucked.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q V

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 12:41
This post received
KUDOS
Dbalks wrote:
Congrats to the two people who just got invites. Looks like another batch has gone out. Hope is falling really fast for me.

Optimistic Dbalks: You live close to New Haven and its easy for you to get there. They will let people from further away make travel arrangements and get interview slots first.
Pessimistic Dbalks: You suck. Youve always sucked.

I feel like the Rodney Dangerfield character in this exchange:

Mr. Burns: Something is not right about Larry's upbringing. Send for the boys of Yale at once!
(Burns' office. Two admissions officers from Yale are by his desk)
Mr. Burns: Well, how did the interview go?
Male Admissions Officer: Larry made light of my weight, then suggested my motto ought to be "Semper Fudge". Afterwards he told me to "relax" and "forget about it".
Mr. Burns: OK, OK. How were his test scores?
Female Admissions Officer: Let me put it this way. Larry spelled Yale with a 6.
(Mr. Burns, in a not-to-subtle moves, opens his checkbook)
Mr. Burns: Oh, I almost forgot, it is time for your annual contribution. How much should I give?
Male Admissions Officer: Let us see. A score of 400 would require new football uniforms. A score of 300 would require a new dormitory.
Mr. Burns: And in Larry's case?
Male Admissions Officer: A new international airport.
Female Admissions Officer: Yale could use an international airport, Mr. Burns.
Mr. Burns: Blast you! I am not made of airports! Get out!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 18:02
This post received
KUDOS
I got an interview invitation this morning and decided to fly over to New Haven from Hong Kong.

It would cost me a bit lot but think worth the try in order to show my interest and passion in Yale SOM thou.

But I am already overwhelmed by long flight from here to NY and transfer from NY to New Haven, phew.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 06:38
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks aerien!

Done with my Skype interview. I guess that caps my application journey to Yale SOM. Now the waiting begins...
I wish everyone luck with theirs (whether you're waiting for your interview day or for an interview invite). ;)

I know this is premature since I haven't been accepted yet, but if I could just share some thoughts/ideas on the interview:

1. The interview is not something that you need to "beat".
Think of it as a blank paper that you can use to write to the admissions committee to convince them more on why they should admit you into the program. My interviewer mentioned he will be writing a report about the whole conversation that we had to the committee, and that the final decision of course still rests with the admissions committee.

2. SELL yourself.
Make sure that you go into the interview prepared, and this means you know what "packaging" you made in the paper application and that it stays consistent with what you're saying in the interview.

3. Sell YOURSELF
Present yourself in the most positive light, but make sure it's still YOU that you're presenting.
Billy Joel could not have put it better: Don't go changing to try and please me...

That's all I have to say. ;)

God bless us all!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 14:23
This post received
KUDOS
transitioning wrote:
I am coming from the South and have virtually no experience in NYC. I am planning on flying into NY and catching the Metro-North. Do you recommend JFK or is LGA just as good? I pulled up the Metro-North website, which is not helpful at the moment because it is the Hurricane Sandy advisory. Also, could I depend on that train to be running late November or is it jacked up from the hurricane? How often do the trains run? Thanks!

All airports/trains should be fine by late November. (My guess is everything should be up and running again within the next 2 weeks. Mike Bloomberg will not have it any other way.)

LGA is closer to MetroNorth if you are willing to take the M60 bus to 125th and wait on the aboveground platform for the train. If not, JFK will take you a bit longer to get to Grand Central, (maybe another 20 - 30 mins). Trains typically run every 25-30 mins during peak hours, and once an hour at night.

Good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GRE 1: 1440 Q770 V670
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 8

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 08:00
This post received
KUDOS
Ok! Done with my interview today (via Skype). Was interviewed by a second year graduate w/ background in non-profit management. It seems SOM clubs interviewers and interviewee with similar profiles and career interests. Unlike what I had imagined, my interview was very to-the-point, started and finished in 30mins.

My 2 cents for future candidates: Keep your answers to the point, else they interrupt you if you stretch it too long. I was interrupted towards the end of my team-building experience story.

As Jason previous pointed out, sell yourself and know your pitch cold. I am sure they will map the interview assessment with the application we earlier submitted. All the best to everyone. Now the wait begins for the final call.

Cheers.

Vanishing Nerd

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 07:11
This post received
KUDOS
aerien wrote:
Has anyone who's visited campus or who's a current student speak to the campus shuttle to/from Union Station? I took it many years ago and you didn't need a Yale ID to take it then. Is that still the case, and if so, where on campus should I get off so I'm closer to SOM? Or should I just take a cab to campus instead? Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device Image

Honestly - a cab will probably be your best option. I know, I know, it wasn't my favorite thing to discover either. The shuttle can be spotty from Union Station, depending on time of day, (no, you typically don't need Yale ID - just looking like a student will usually get you on), and it'll probably take you 30 mins to get to Yale Health, which is the closest stop to SOM, (5-7 min walk to admissions at 55 Hillhouse). Cabs from Union Station will be under $10, and get you to SOM in about 10 minutes, perhaps a little less. If you coordinate with another prospective who'll be on your Metro North train, that's $5 each, and then you don't have to worry about weather, timing, etc.

Good luck with the interview!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2012, 08:08
This post received
KUDOS
Got an invite yesterday but went to my work email so didnt see it til this morning.. I actually saw everyone here get invited last night and logged into the yale page to see my status was still submitted. It was dissapointing. I thought that was supposed to change when they invited you?

To all those waiting, best of luck, they are still coming out for a bit. If you look at last yrs thread, people got invited late into November.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 414 [1] , given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2012, 18:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Just a quick two cents about my interview day --

1) Everyone at Yale SOM is friendly and open to answering any of your questions. At this stage in the process, (almost) no question is stupid; ask what you really want to know about daily life. Find out if you can see yourself spending two years at SOM. And take some time to explore New Haven if you can!

2) The admissions office is really well-run, IMO. If you have any questions about your application, registering for your interview, or scheduling a campus visit, feel free to contact them via phone or email. Someone will either be able to answer your question or track down someone who can help you. Keep in mind though that the office is small; if you start pestering them every day about when results will come out or when you'll receive an interview invite, I'm sure they'll remember who you are (and not in a good way!).

3) The interview is not something to overly stress about. Others have already given great tips about the actual interview so I won't belabor those here; all I can say is know your resume, know why you want to go to Yale, and remember to breathe. The interviewer wants to get to know who you are; they're not there to trip you up!

Good luck to those of you who have yet to interview and to those still awaiting invites!

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [1] , given: 21

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 17:23
This post received
KUDOS
I had my interview on-campus yesterday. Again, SOM has not let me down - every student/alum I have met have all been more than enthusiastic to help, take time out of their day to talk about the school, or just offer advice. (Great meeting you MAJMMM!)

My interview started off fairly formulaic but towards the end things were a bit more loose and relaxed (probably a common wavelength for many MBA interviews). The interviewer was super friendly, and none of the questions were really anything you shouldn't otherwise be already prepared for. He did emphasize though that the interview was only one component of the entire application picture; basically, a weak interview won't necessarily ding you but acing the interview still doesn't mean you're going to get that acceptance letter! (The latter of which is kind of a bummer, since a great interview can create a lot of real positive momentum, all of which can be deflated in an instant with a ding).

anyways, best of luck everyone!

A little over 2 weeks until the big day!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 20:21
This post received
KUDOS
ugeman229 wrote:
- The "raw cases": I understand these are web-based but am still having trouble understanding how they fit into the overall curriculum. The class I attended didn't seem to incorporate any raw cases - the professor did solicit some feedback for the last five minutes on cases, but this was literally it. Not sure if there is any actual class time devoted to discussing these cases or if it was purely an extracurricular exercise.

The raw cases (as opposed to the "cooked" cases that HBS and Darden put out) are awesome. I have really like what we have done with them so far. They are quite labor-intensive to make, so we haven't done a ton of them, (our other cases have largely been HBS and pre-"raw" SOM, with a few Darden and INSEAD), but I've been thoroughly impressed by how the raw case mimics today's research experience. They basically give you a prompt for discussion, and then more data than you and your team could EVER CONSUME in the amount of time you have. You have to divide and conquer, sift through financials, press, research papers, and expert testimony, (including a lot of varied media: video, podcasts, schematics, etc.), in order to find the best answers possible by the time class rolls around. This is usually within 48-72 hours, btw. It's actually really fun, and makes me really excited for the Global Network for Advanced Management expanding on this practice. They also continually update the cases each year, and none of them have been fully resolved, so the Zynga case that we did this year in Competitor will likely be completely different by this time next year.

Hope that helps!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 414 [1] , given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 17:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
OhDenny wrote:
Once the Winter Break socials are posted, you'll probably find a bunch of the finance folks hosting socials throughout the break in cities across the country and globally.

Hi everyone,

It looks like Yale posted their Winter Social calendar. I'm guessing more updates will probably come in the next few weeks, too. Hope everyone has a chance to meet with some cool SOM-ers :)

http://mba.yale.edu/MBA/admissions/events.asp

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 09:11
This post received
KUDOS
The time zone difference is confusing. So when is this happening? December 13, 1pm?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [1] , given: 21

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 13:03
This post received
KUDOS
We'll find out when we find out.

Good luck to all fellow GMATClub Yale applicants.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 18:10
This post received
KUDOS
aerien wrote:
Slightly embarrassing story: I received a random call from a 302 number this evening. Panicked slightly before answering my phone since I thought maybe Yale calls early? Turns out it was a wrong number...and Yale's area code is actually 203...oops!

Good luck tomorrow, everyone!

I totally undersatnd your feeling.. I am located in Asia, and now it is 13 Dec, which is actually notification day. But I need to wait half day more.
Last night, I had unknown call at 11 pm, and I was like this...might...be...international call...from..NH..?? but it turned out to be my mom living in another asia country.

Now, I literally cannot focus on my work AT ALL.
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 12 Dec 2012, 18:10