Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 04:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2011
Posts: 199
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 80

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 16:00
SOMBound wrote:
Thanks for the info all. OhDenny are there many coffee shops/restaurants in the East Rock area near campus or is it primarily residential?

Within 5 blocks I have three really nice deli/cafes, two Asian groceries, a Dunkin' Donuts, a steak house, two pizza place (one of them famous), two really nice Italian restaurants, a Chinese restaurant, a pho place, a cupcake place, a liquor store, an Irish pub, and the best damn grilled cheese place I've ever been to.

But Downtown has much more, and much closer, partly because the blocks are shorter.
Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1250
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 410 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 16:57
Expert's post
OhDenny wrote:
SOMBound wrote:
Thanks for the info all. OhDenny are there many coffee shops/restaurants in the East Rock area near campus or is it primarily residential?

Within 5 blocks I have three really nice deli/cafes, two Asian groceries, a Dunkin' Donuts, a steak house, two pizza place (one of them famous), two really nice Italian restaurants, a Chinese restaurant, a pho place, a cupcake place, a liquor store, an Irish pub, and the best damn grilled cheese place I've ever been to.

But Downtown has much more, and much closer, partly because the blocks are shorter.


There's a grilled cheese place?! I think I'm sold.... :lol:
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 18
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q V
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 20:29
Not to sound panicky, but have most R2 interview invites already gone out. When can we expect to hear one way or another if we are going to get an interview invite?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2012
Posts: 47
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 11

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 23:13
skm wrote:
GPT55 wrote:
MBA2ER wrote:
Congrats everyone, I got an invite too~! This is my first one and the Puyallup's question came to my mind too. When do admissions officers start giving out offers? I may be reading too much into it but of all the schools that I applied to, only Booth explicitly stated that all decisions will be released at once on a particular date/time. Most other schools (incl. Yale) said decisions will be released by a certain date, which technically gives them plenty leeway to extend offers maybe even with scholarships to people early (by weeks, maybe even a month). Do schools actually do that, and to what extent?


The difference in approach you point out between so-called "rolling admission" schools (Yale, Stern etc.) and traditional "decision-date" schools is interesting, but I would not read too much into it. I can not force myself to believe they would disadvantage anyone within a round based on when he or she interviews. My only guess is that they'll extend admission offers earlier to people who really stand out of the pack and who they definitely want on board.


As far as I know everyone received R1 admissions offers on the same day this year, which was the date posted on the website (12/13) and also listed as the date we would hear 'by'. Someone checked with the admissions office about this - 'by' meant 'on', at least for R1. I interviewed the same week as machichi, although a few days earlier, and I know at least a few of the people who were there were offered admission too. You might want to read through our many pages of anxious postings earlier in this thread as the R1 applicants had this same discussion.

The only people who received calls earlier than 12/13 were international applicants, and it was already the 13th of December in their respective time zones when they got the calls.


Thanks skm/GPT55, this helps clear things up a lot.

PanchoPippin wrote:
Not to sound panicky, but have most R2 interview invites already gone out. When can we expect to hear one way or another if we are going to get an interview invite?


PanchoPippin, I think someone mentioned in this thread that invites are sent out randomly over a period of time. Considering the application cycle just closed less than two weeks ago, I really can't imagine that they have already made decisions on most of the applications! Having said that, the latest available time slot I saw in the system was 22nd Feb, which I thought was remarkably early given that most schools interview into March. Maybe they'll open up more slots as they send out more invites? Not really sure, the R1 guys or current students can probably advise better. Anyway, hang in there and good luck!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2012
Posts: 111
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 12

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 17:47
aerien wrote:
There's a grilled cheese place?! I think I'm sold.... :lol:

It's fantastic, as advertised, too. I go there everytime I'm in New Haven.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 21 Oct 2012
Posts: 15
GPA: 3.78
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 13:38
OhDenny wrote:
SOMBound wrote:
Anybody attending Winter Welcome, and if so are you being hosted for Sunday night?

Starting to look at apartment locations. Any current SOMers that have opinions about East Rock vs Downtown? What are some popular apartment complexes/areas to live?

Hey there, and congrats!

As others have said, it depends what you're looking for, but you may also be surprised when you see it with your own eyes. I came from Brooklyn, so all prices were immediately so much more reasonable than I was used to, but they are not cheap by the standards of most of the rest of the country. I'd say 80% falls between $700 and $950 per person per month. Some Downtown apartment complexes, (like 360 State and the Eli) are on the upper bound, and can cost significantly more than that, so just keep that in mind.

I LOVE my house in East Rock. I'll have a 3 minute walk to class when the new building opens, (it's 7 mins now), and I'm on the Southern end of East Rock, so I can quite easily walk to GPSCY, Shake Shack, 360 State, and other parts of the Yale Campus. Those that live a bit higher in East Rock typically have bikes so they can get to class no problem. That said - although East Rock seems to be a bit sleepier since it's filled with converted old colonial mansions, we have held a significant amount of parties, game nights, barbecues, and so on in East Rock, including 4 or 5 progressive parties. It's also probably the "safest" neighborhood in New Haven, though I put that in quotes because most students live in pretty safe neighborhoods - I've yet to feel unsafe walking around the Yale Campus surrounding neighborhoods.

Interesting fact: 360 State was designed by an SOM and YArch alum, and we studied it for our very first case during orientation. It's a really cool building, akin to some of the more corporate condo buildings in the Financial District of Manhattan.

Welcome Weekend is typically a better time to check out potential apartments - I both met my roommates and put down my deposit that weekend. A lot of the August 1st rentals won't even come onto the market until May/June anyway, so if you're going to be checking places out, I'd suggest looking more at neighborhoods, and housing attributes that you're looking for.


Do a lot of admits attend both the Winter Welcome and the regular Welcome Weekend? Since I'm not sure I'll be able to venture up again I was going to stay Monday (unhosted, but Sunday hosted) and then do a preliminary gut-check of downtown apt buildings on Tues even though it won't quite be time to sign a lease! :) Other than 360/Eli, are there any other building where a bunch of SOMer live? Do apartments buildings tend to fill up super quick?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2011
Posts: 199
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 80

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 17:49
mba2527 wrote:
Do a lot of admits attend both the Winter Welcome and the regular Welcome Weekend? Since I'm not sure I'll be able to venture up again I was going to stay Monday (unhosted, but Sunday hosted) and then do a preliminary gut-check of downtown apt buildings on Tues even though it won't quite be time to sign a lease! :) Other than 360/Eli, are there any other building where a bunch of SOMer live? Do apartments buildings tend to fill up super quick?

I came to both last year, though I'm also a giant nerd, so take that with a grain of salt. I found that last year, Winter Welcome was more academic-focused, and Welcome Weekend was more total-package focused, though I'm in charge of planning both this year, so I'm trying to make the experiences more similar. One of the big draws for me was that I lived close enough to come to both (New York), and that a ton of the people I met at both weekends were down with meeting up throughout the rest of the year and in different cities, so by the time actual move-in and orientation rolled around, I already knew several dozen classmates. Welcome Weekend has an advantage to this as well, since there are far more people in attendance, (150-175 ish vs. 70).

Don't get stressed out about signing leases in February. Even April was pretty early to be hunting, and a lot of folks found their places over the summer. There are a couple of other buildings where multiple SOMers live, but I can't think of them off of the top of my head. Perhaps one of my other current student compadres can help out with that? I'd say the bulk of our class, however, lives in old colonials that have been converted to multi-units.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2013
Posts: 15
Concentration: Strategy, Accounting
Schools: Marshall '15 (A)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 07:32
wondering if any interview invites come out today as first day back from holiday of this week...
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 Mar 2011
Posts: 129
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
WE: Law (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 38

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 09:59
andreak wrote:
Just had my interview over Skype with a 2nd year student. It went really well! He was very easy to speak to, and the 30 minutes zoomed by as the interview turned into an informative, friendly conversation about what sets Yale apart. He asked very standard questions:

- Walk through your resume
- Talk about a leadership role you were particularly proud of
- Talk about a time you received push-back when working on a project
- Talk about a time there was a set-back during a project you were working on and things fell behind. (He joked about how b-school applicants tend to be type As who don't like this question, but as a current Peace Corps volunteer, I had plenty of examples to draw from.)
- Why business school?
- Why Yale?
- How do you want to get involved on campus?

Props to Yale for not throwing out obnoxious curve ball questions!


Thanks for taking the time to share this and good luck!
Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1250
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 410 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 19:26
Expert's post
OhDenny wrote:
I came to both last year, though I'm also a giant nerd, so take that with a grain of salt. I found that last year, Winter Welcome was more academic-focused, and Welcome Weekend was more total-package focused, though I'm in charge of planning both this year, so I'm trying to make the experiences more similar.


@OhDenny: Not sure if you had any involvement in the date pick for Winter Welcome, but I did want to thank whoever decided to have it over President's Day weekend. That Monday holiday makes travel plans a bit easier to coordinate, and from a work perspective, that's one less day to take off (or one extra vacation day to enjoy)!!
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 21 Oct 2012
Posts: 15
GPA: 3.78
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 19:32
aerien wrote:
OhDenny wrote:
I came to both last year, though I'm also a giant nerd, so take that with a grain of salt. I found that last year, Winter Welcome was more academic-focused, and Welcome Weekend was more total-package focused, though I'm in charge of planning both this year, so I'm trying to make the experiences more similar.


@OhDenny: Not sure if you had any involvement in the date pick for Winter Welcome, but I did want to thank whoever decided to have it over President's Day weekend. That Monday holiday makes travel plans a bit easier to coordinate, and from a work perspective, that's one less day to take off (or one extra vacation day to enjoy)!!


haha... Totally didn't put 2+2 together! I haven't had President's Day (let alone MLK Day) off since maybe my grammar school days! Hopefully that means a good group will be able to head to New Haven that weekend.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2011
Posts: 199
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 80

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 20:46
aerien wrote:
@OhDenny: Not sure if you had any involvement in the date pick for Winter Welcome, but I did want to thank whoever decided to have it over President's Day weekend. That Monday holiday makes travel plans a bit easier to coordinate, and from a work perspective, that's one less day to take off (or one extra vacation day to enjoy)!!

I think you may be overestimating my power, but I am also glad that its over Presidents' Day. When I said 'in charge' I meant of student-facing activities. Bruce and co are really the ones spearheading the whole thing, and they do a stellar job.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1250
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 410 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 00:06
Expert's post
OhDenny wrote:
aerien wrote:
@OhDenny: Not sure if you had any involvement in the date pick for Winter Welcome, but I did want to thank whoever decided to have it over President's Day weekend. That Monday holiday makes travel plans a bit easier to coordinate, and from a work perspective, that's one less day to take off (or one extra vacation day to enjoy)!!

I think you may be overestimating my power, but I am also glad that its over Presidents' Day. When I said 'in charge' I meant of student-facing activities. Bruce and co are really the ones spearheading the whole thing, and they do a stellar job.

Posted from my mobile device Image


Well I appreciate it nonetheless!
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2013
Posts: 15
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.8
WE: General Management (Transportation)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 10:05
Hi guys, not sure if any insiders could help me out - I submitted my application on round 2 deadline day (Jan 8), but the status is still showing 'submitted' online. Does this mean that my application has not been reviewed yet? Or I'll probably be rejected (not received any email though)? Thanks!
Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1250
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 410 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 20:07
Expert's post
haiwen wrote:
Hi guys, not sure if any insiders could help me out - I submitted my application on round 2 deadline day (Jan 8), but the status is still showing 'submitted' online. Does this mean that my application has not been reviewed yet? Or I'll probably be rejected (not received any email though)? Thanks!


I've been admitted and my status still says submitted. If you get an interview invite, you'll receive an email so there's no need to constantly check your status.

Posted from my mobile device Image
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Apr 2011
Posts: 15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 08:13
Hi all

Did any international applicants get an invite at Yale for the long weekend? Any interview invites to international applicants?

I am from Canada applied in R2.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 Mar 2011
Posts: 129
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
WE: Law (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 38

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 10:26
GreenMan wrote:
Hi all

Did any international applicants get an invite at Yale for the long weekend? Any interview invites to international applicants?

I am from Canada applied in R2.


I'm from Europe and got an interview invite last week. I'll have my interview on Skype though as unfortunately I cannot travel to the US.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 15 Nov 2009
Posts: 124
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 15

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 07:57
aerien wrote:

I've been admitted and my status still says submitted. If you get an interview invite, you'll receive an email so there's no need to constantly check your status.

Posted from my mobile device Image


Looks like b-schools like you :)
Which will you choose?
Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1250
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 410 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 08:34
Expert's post
rainfall wrote:
aerien wrote:

I've been admitted and my status still says submitted. If you get an interview invite, you'll receive an email so there's no need to constantly check your status.

Posted from my mobile device Image


Looks like b-schools like you :)
Which will you choose?


Still deciding! I should make a decision soon though :)

Posted from my mobile device Image
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2012
Posts: 31
GMAT 1: 660 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q45 V44
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 11

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 09:38
Hey all, just joining the conversation. Was invited to interview and I just scheduled it on Feb 13th in the AM. Anyone else joining me?!
_________________

GMAT Official 3: Q45, V44, 730

570-to-660-to-730-my-gmat-journey-144703.html

The GMAT is beatable! Perseverance is the name of the game!

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 25 Jan 2013, 09:38
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
268 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants Richaarora22 2001 10 Jun 2010, 10:30
286 Experts publish their posts in the topic Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants aerien 1287 06 Jul 2012, 18:10
13 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants Dbalks 159 13 Dec 2012, 16:57
6 Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! IHateTheGMAT 421 20 Jul 2008, 21:45
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  33   34   35   36   37   38   39  ...  65    Next  [ 1288 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.