Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 05:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Anderson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

Reviews Badge
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 12:00
Has anyone done a Skype interview for SOM? I went to New Haven for my interview last week but unfortunately could not do my interview because Yale was closed for two days. So I now have a Skype interview scheduled for next week, and wanted to hear about others' experiences with Skype. I tested mine and there is a little lag and I feel like this might ruin the interview experience a little bit.

So if anyone has any thoughts/comments on Skype interviews, please let me know.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 8

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 10:01
@aerien @machichi @ohDenny

Any interesting insights / information on Winter Welcome?

Im a R2 international interviewed candidate
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 11:04
naughtyelf2000 wrote:
@aerien @machichi @ohDenny

Any interesting insights / information on Winter Welcome?

Im a R2 international interviewed candidate

I didn't make it, so I'm waiting to hear too! :-D

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 319 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 12:11
Expert's post
I am VERY impressed at Yale’s ability to convert cross-admits.
Congrats!

Diversity

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 15:38
Fun meeting some of the kids that visited... I only had to use my "why Yale" pitch a few times. Welcome to all the admits, we look forward to having you!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 18:22
GPT55 wrote:
mba20155 wrote:
Has anyone done a Skype interview for SOM? I went to New Haven for my interview last week but unfortunately could not do my interview because Yale was closed for two days. So I now have a Skype interview scheduled for next week, and wanted to hear about others' experiences with Skype. I tested mine and there is a little lag and I feel like this might ruin the interview experience a little bit.

So if anyone has any thoughts/comments on Skype interviews, please let me know.

Thanks!

I had a Skype interview. Sound was patchy, so after a couple of minutes the interviewer suggested we turn off the video. Afterwards, the sound was fine although from that point it was basically a phone interview. We had a normal conversation nevertheless, I posted the questions a couple of pages back.

Not surprised to learn others had a similar experience with their Skype interviews. Reviewing my notes taken during the interview, I see that when such problems and were encountered during my meeting, my immediate suspicion was that they were probably covertly trying to test how applicants handle such unforeseen situations and difficult teamwork scenarios within the interview itself. Thinking so, I subtly delivered strategic calculated responses to meet the challenge by focusing my answers along a timeline to first emphasize overcoming adversity stories, followed by teamwork examples, etc.
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 623 [0], given: 116

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 20:49
machichi wrote:
I already bought my plane ticket for that weekend and can't wait! Looks like @aerien is driving me and my boyfriend to Tweed Airport. :) Yes, New Haven has an airport with cheap flights, who knew!?

I just learned a new ice-breaker today that I have already decide will need to be incorporated during Welcome Weekend. Muah ha ha!

I am just curious... Was Yale your first choice over Kellogg before starting the applications process??

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Current Student
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.11
WE: Engineering (Internet and New Media)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 15:23
Hey, is anyone going to the thing on Friday? If so, what time are you planning to get there? When I got the invitation, I was told that the activities started at 11 AM, so I booked a train ticket from Boston that gets me into New Haven at 10:30. However, I just got an email from them saying that the events starting at 9:30, even though the first thing on the schedule I see is an 11 AM presentation (aside from a 10 AM presentation by Women In Management that probably isn't necessary for a male such as myself). Further confusing things, when I call the number they give in the email all I get is a message saying that their mailbox is full and they can't take any further messages. I'll try calling again tomorrow, but I was hoping someone here could shed some further light on this.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 409 [0], given: 244

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 16:44
Expert's post
dimmsdale wrote:
Hey, is anyone going to the thing on Friday? If so, what time are you planning to get there? When I got the invitation, I was told that the activities started at 11 AM, so I booked a train ticket from Boston that gets me into New Haven at 10:30. However, I just got an email from them saying that the events starting at 9:30, even though the first thing on the schedule I see is an 11 AM presentation (aside from a 10 AM presentation by Women In Management that probably isn't necessary for a male such as myself). Further confusing things, when I call the number they give in the email all I get is a message saying that their mailbox is full and they can't take any further messages. I'll try calling again tomorrow, but I was hoping someone here could shed some further light on this.

Not sure what the "thing" on Friday is, but I'll assume it's an R2 interview/admissions event of some sort. If you're not going to the 10am presentation, then your current train reservation is fine. It takes maybe 10 minutes to get to campus if you cab it, and don't worry about coming in "late" or anything like that. There's a waiting area at admissions that's separate from the other rooms where they would hold panels, interviews, etc. At my interview people came in and out -- some arrived 5 minutes before their interview and some left immediately after, while others stuck around and met the other prospectives/current students. Your schedule is up to you as long as you make the important part(s) of the day! Good luck.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 16:48
dimmsdale wrote:

On my interview day, they did a tour and class visit in the morning followed by lunch with students. In the afternoon we met with a professor and then an admissions person. People just stepped out when they needed to do do their interview.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 19:07
To those who attended the Winter Welcome - did you get the chance to discuss/look at housing? I have been hearing that downtown or East Rock are the places to stay. Was wondering if you had visited or were recommended any apartment buildings downtown?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Accounting, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Kellogg '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.89
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 00:08
when can we expect another wave of invitation to interview or I just forget about this application as a ding...?
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 623 [0], given: 116

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 01:29
ayiayio wrote:
when can we expect another wave of invitation to interview or I just forget about this application as a ding...?

March 28 is when the fat lady sings... I'm not leaving the opera till then... :P

On another note.. Your username phoenetically means "oh crap" in my native language (Tamil)

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
WE: Account Management (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 01:38
ayiayio wrote:

Same question here. I'm an international applicant based out of the US. I've received interview invitations from 02 other schools in R2 but no word from Yale yet. The clock is ticking and I am worrying!
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 22

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 04:11
thebschoollife wrote:
To those who attended the Winter Welcome - did you get the chance to discuss/look at housing? I have been hearing that downtown or East Rock are the places to stay. Was wondering if you had visited or were recommended any apartment buildings downtown?

We visited 360 State, but not to look at housing. I think most people are planning to figure this out in April.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 409 [0], given: 244

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 04:29
Expert's post
skm wrote:
thebschoollife wrote:

We visited 360 State, but not to look at housing. I think most people are planning to figure this out in April.

@OhDenny talked about his house in East Rock here: yale-som-2013-calling-all-applicants-135398-560.html#p1170820

I also stayed in East Rock when I visited and it had a quieter, neighborhood feel as opposed to downtown with restaurants, bars, etc right outside your door. Where you live depends on your personality and where you want to be, but as @skm said most aren't going to figure out specifics until April or after.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Schools: Yale '15 (WL)
WE: Analyst (Other)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 08:37
I had my interview on Wednesday 2/20/2013. The interview was very casual and pleasant, by sheer serendipity the interviewer and I had a lot in common. Majority of the questions were centered around my work (team/leadership/argument etc...).

Quick Question : How does Yale do the background check? Do they do it after they offer the acceptance letter or do we have to get it done? Any help would be appreciated, I wanted to give a heads up to my recommenders.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 23

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 09:08
Interview call! Such a relief after all the rejections I've gotten over the last few months. I think I'm flying down to New Haven to take this!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Schools: Yale '15 (WL)
WE: Analyst (Other)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 09:29
Thank you for your quick reply Aerien.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 5

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 10:07
Hello everyone,

does anybody know if any admission decisions are rolled out before march 28th?

Thanks!
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 21 Feb 2013, 10:07