Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 04:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Yale SOM - Class of 2015
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 08:44
aerien wrote:
maxkrewl wrote:
You mean Yale class of 2015 page or the Gmat club page ??

If there is a yale class of 2015 page on fb can you provide me the link.

Thank you

The fb group is a better indicator of number of acceptances (for any school); Yale's link is in the first post of this thread.

The fb page indicates there are already 102 admits (~40%)...Is that right ??
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Schools: Yale '15 (I)
GMAT 1: Q V0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 08:51
Looking back over the past 3 years, there aren't that many people who interviewed and got rejected. Everyone says 50-60% get offer after interview, but looking over everyone who got an interview the past few years: most (by far) got in, some got waitlisted, and only a few got rejected. Thoughts?
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 410 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 08:59
Expert's post
maxkrewl wrote:
aerien wrote:
maxkrewl wrote:
You mean Yale class of 2015 page or the Gmat club page ??

If there is a yale class of 2015 page on fb can you provide me the link.

Thank you

The fb group is a better indicator of number of acceptances (for any school); Yale's link is in the first post of this thread.

The fb page indicates there are already 102 admits (~40%)...Is that right ??

Yes, that sounds about right. Keep in mind that some of those people likely are accepted but not matriculating. And generally speaking, most schools do a 50/50 or 40/60 split between R1 and R2 with R3 and the Waitlist filling out the class.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.25
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 37

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 09:20
My link to class of 2015 doesn't work. Does anyone know who I should contact???
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.23
WE: Asset Management (Other)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 13:51
urarunner2 wrote:

I'm having the same issue. I contacted mba.diversity@yale.edu and am awaiting a response.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q36 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.56
WE: General Management (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 7

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 16:40
vikram4689 wrote:
Friends,

I am planning to apply in R3. I would like to know about possibilities of getting admitted in R3 (is it substantial or is it almost 0). Also just in case, if i don't get in this time and apply in next year EA/R1, is Yale a re-applicant friendly school ? someone told me Duke is

I've heard good things about re-applicants. Yale is one of the few schools that will provide feedback on a denied applicant, weaknesses and things that you can work on. A friend was rejected last year and spoke to the dean about 2-3 times afterwards about what he needed to do (low GMAT but otherwise woulda been accepted, had he not applied so late).

Best of luck!
Expert Post
VP
VP

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 17:04
Expert's post
Gumbymc wrote:
urarunner2 wrote:

I'm having the same issue. I contacted mba.diversity@yale.edu and am awaiting a response.

You could also try mba.admissions@yale.edu or just give them a call at +1 203.432.5932. I'm sure it's an easy fix :)

aerien

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 19:01
ln0038a wrote:
vikram4689 wrote:
Friends,

I am planning to apply in R3. I would like to know about possibilities of getting admitted in R3 (is it substantial or is it almost 0). Also just in case, if i don't get in this time and apply in next year EA/R1, is Yale a re-applicant friendly school ? someone told me Duke is

I've heard good things about re-applicants. Yale is one of the few schools that will provide feedback on a denied applicant, weaknesses and things that you can work on. A friend was rejected last year and spoke to the dean about 2-3 times afterwards about what he needed to do (low GMAT but otherwise woulda been accepted, had he not applied so late).

Best of luck!

so did he get in this time with exact same application. actually, some students at different business school (after seeing my application) are providing similar feedback that i might have tough chances because of already similar candidates in class and might have very good chances next year.

one more thing, even if your friend did not take gmat again then as per dean he would be admitted next year. BUT what did he state in "re-applicant" essay in that case
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 107

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 05:57
chessmaster1234 wrote:
Looking back over the past 3 years, there aren't that many people who interviewed and got rejected. Everyone says 50-60% get offer after interview, but looking over everyone who got an interview the past few years: most (by far) got in, some got waitlisted, and only a few got rejected. Thoughts?

I noticed that, too. It's possible it's just a sample bias, but here's hoping that chances are good for those of us who interviewed!
Expert Post
VP
VP

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 07:10
Expert's post
lb2015 wrote:
chessmaster1234 wrote:

I noticed that, too. It's possible it's just a sample bias, but here's hoping that chances are good for those of us who interviewed!

You guys have probably interviewed already, but just a word of caution: do prepare for your interview. Don't bank on the stats, think you have it in the bag, and be disappointed with the outcome.

aerien

Intern
Intern
Schools: Yale '15 (I)
GMAT 1: Q V0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 07:15
aerien wrote:
lb2015 wrote:
chessmaster1234 wrote:

You guys have probably interviewed already, but just a word of caution: do prepare for your interview. Don't bank on the stats, think you have it in the bag, and be disappointed with the outcome.

Of course. I already interviewed anyway but was pointing out the spread between the publicized % and the anecdotal %. Nothing I can do now anyway...It's going to be a long month.
Expert Post
VP
VP

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 07:29
Expert's post
chessmaster1234 wrote:
aerien wrote:

Of course. I already interviewed anyway but was pointing out the spread between the publicized % and the anecdotal %. Nothing I can do now anyway...It's going to be a long month.

Not implying that you didn't prepare -- just wanted to manage expectations that anything can still happen :)

Your result date is about three weeks away now, and I'll just say that @machichi and I are a little excited for you guys to hear back!

aerien

Director
Director
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 08:11
Not sure how true this is, but I have heard from consultants/ex-adcom directors that you need a wow factor to get accepted in a third round. By wow, I mean either strong profile (stronger than your typical Yale admits) or a very unique story/experiences (such as coming from a country who didn't send anyone to the school this year or a story Adcom hasn't heard before). I have also been told that luck is a huge factor, since yield from Rd1/2 usually impacts how many decisions go out. I myself am planning to apply, but don't really have any hopes. It will be more like a hail mary.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 8

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 09:41
chessmaster1234 wrote:

HOPE YOU ARE RIGHT!
Current Student
Schools: Anderson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

Reviews Badge
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 09:44
aerien wrote:
chessmaster1234 wrote:
aerien wrote:

Not implying that you didn't prepare -- just wanted to manage expectations that anything can still happen :)

Your result date is about three weeks away now, and I'll just say that @machichi and I are a little excited for you guys to hear back!

3 weeks seems like eternity.. (as you know) but all we can do is wait for that call!!
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 46

Reviews Badge
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 09:48
naughtyelf2000 wrote:
chessmaster1234 wrote:

HOPE YOU ARE RIGHT!

I think this is a function of people either being WL or interviewed and then not updating their stats. I hope (for everyone's sake!) that it's higher than 50-60%, but I do know other people who were also WL (I am R1).

Maybe late March will bring everyone good news!

Also a note- I was invited in the FIRST BATCH of interviewees (literally less than a week after submitted/deadline). So- for anyone who got a late invite - who knows!!! what will happen.

The only way to atone for being occasionally a little over-dressed is by being always absolutely over-educated.
Oscar Wilde

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.6

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 12:06
Hi all,

I have a question

If I have already interviewed - is it worth visiting campus before 28th March? How do you think the adcom will view it?

Opinions welcome :D
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 12:12
HIGNFY2013 wrote:
Hi all,

I have a question

If I have already interviewed - is it worth visiting campus before 28th March? How do you think the adcom will view it?

Where do you live? If it's convenient and you haven't made it, they might be skeptical about you. However, if you're international, they will probably understand. Did you interview on campus? If so, don't sweat it. If not, I still wouldn't worry about it, but visit if you want. Certainly no harm in making the trip (except to your bank account!).

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Current Student
Schools: Anderson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

Reviews Badge
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 12:16
HIGNFY2013 wrote:
Hi all,

I have a question

I would save the trip until you get in. Then you can visit for the admitted student events. The visit is more for you to learn about the school and the fit and I don't think the visit will make or break the admissions decision.

I actually went to New Haven for the on campus interview and the visit program but I could not do either of things because of the snow storm Nemo. If I'm admitted, I am definitely going back to experience New Haven and SOM first hand.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 22

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 12:19
machichi wrote:
HIGNFY2013 wrote:
Hi all,

I have a question

Where do you live? If it's convenient and you haven't made it, they might be skeptical about you. However, if you're international, they will probably understand. Did you interview on campus? If so, don't sweat it. If not, I still wouldn't worry about it, but visit if you want. Certainly no harm in making the trip (except to your bank account!).

To add to this: Yale's spring break starts this Saturday and lasts until the 23rd. If you want a better feel for what campus is like when students are actually here, you might want to wait.
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2013, 12:19