Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 22:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 7

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 09:27
Thanks for the advice...will definitely take the timing into consideration
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q36 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.56
WE: General Management (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 7

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 13:18
Don't toy with me and your admissions newsletter, Yale!

Brief panic attack. :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Schools: Yale '15 (WL)
WE: Analyst (Other)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 14:38
lol...I kinda got freaked out too. I freaked out because I saw 'application tips chat' on the side and thought maybe SOM is giving me a hint to start looking into tips for next year.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Anderson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

Reviews Badge
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 14:40
alphabetagamma wrote:
lol...I kinda got freaked out too. I freaked out because I saw 'application tips chat' on the side and thought maybe SOM is giving me a hint to start looking into tips for next year.

just saw this too.. just enough of these to keep us on our toes until next Thursday! I hope we will be celebrating haha
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 412 [1] , given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 15:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
haxx19 wrote:
I was able to fill in the data form just fine, though haven't seen anything become of it. Waiting to see when we can create our Yale emails!

Thanks, haxx! I tried it again and it worked. I think I just timed out of the system... oh well.

msss wrote:
I'm in the same boat as you, in that I have not told my current employer that I will be attending business school this fall as I am also up for a promotion in June. Any thoughts on when you'll be giving them the heads up/giving your notice? I've been debating this for a while now because I don't want to burn bridges, but obviously don't want to jeopardize my chances at a promotion if something happens between now and orientation that will prevent me from going to business school. Ahhhh decisions decisions...

I haven't told my employer either, but I didn't put a hold on ReVera. I wasn't sure what impact that would have with the matriculation/registration process, if any, so I just bit the bullet and am letting ReVera do what they need to do. On the plus side, I work for a larger corporation and my interaction with HR (whom I'm guessing they'll be contacting) is quite limited... I'm just hoping word doesn't trickle down to my managers in time for my review. And if it does, oh well -- I've made the decision to leave; I doubt I'm up for a promotion since our promotion cycles are lengthy and unpredictable, so worse case scenario they let me go and I have a few months vacation before school. In the grand scheme of things, it's not the worst thing that could happen.

*Goes back into a hole and listens to birds chirping for the next few weeks -- none of this will be "real" until I have access to my own Yale email account*

mba20155 wrote:
alphabetagamma wrote:

just saw this too.. just enough of these to keep us on our toes until next Thursday! I hope we will be celebrating haha

For your sanity, I hope they don't send out another newsletter next Wednesday -- that would be cruel!

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.6

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 15:53
aerien - what kind of info did you have to supply to ReVera? Was it just employment info or did they ask for extracurric verification as well (contact info, proof, etc)?
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 15:57
alphabetagamma wrote:

Oh...I thought Bruce is sending all these emails to me only, so I apply to Yale in R3....A heart breaking news indeed.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Expert Post
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 16:18
Expert's post
dman25 wrote:
aerien - what kind of info did you have to supply to ReVera? Was it just employment info or did they ask for extracurric verification as well (contact info, proof, etc)?

To start off, you literally sign a form and send it to them. All they have is your name. (I'm assuming they tie the information to your Yale application so they know your company's telephone number, etc...) And then if they need more clarification, they'll email you directly.

From what I've gathered, they contact your recommenders and they verify where you've worked.

aerien

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 18:00
machichi wrote:
lb2015 wrote:
I agree with the need for reflection/humility, but I actually think this is possible while saying you would make the exact same choice. I had an example where the outcome was very clearcut (i.e. there was no debating whether it could be viewed as a "right" or "wrong" decision-it was clearly "right" based on the outcome), but I initially did not have enough faith in my initial conviction. Thus, my reflection focused on the need for me to have more confidence and willingness to speak up.

Basically, I think there are multiple ways to approach this question - good luck!

I'll second this. I talked about a difficult decision I made that I would definitely do again. The key was that I still learned from it.

Thanks. your suggestions definitely helped.

In this question: What do you consider to be your most significant accomplishment? Why? - hum much important is describing "what i did" in this accomplishment. i mean this part is taking 125 words and i am thinking whether that much words are worth.

Any tips on how you guys responded to this one
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 107

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 18:56
vikram4689 wrote:
machichi wrote:
lb2015 wrote:
I agree with the need for reflection/humility, but I actually think this is possible while saying you would make the exact same choice. I had an example where the outcome was very clearcut (i.e. there was no debating whether it could be viewed as a "right" or "wrong" decision-it was clearly "right" based on the outcome), but I initially did not have enough faith in my initial conviction. Thus, my reflection focused on the need for me to have more confidence and willingness to speak up.

Basically, I think there are multiple ways to approach this question - good luck!

I'll second this. I talked about a difficult decision I made that I would definitely do again. The key was that I still learned from it.

Thanks. your suggestions definitely helped.

In this question: What do you consider to be your most significant accomplishment? Why? - hum much important is describing "what i did" in this accomplishment. i mean this part is taking 125 words and i am thinking whether that much words are worth.

Any tips on how you guys responded to this one

I probably spent about 1/3 on "what" and the other 2/3 on "why"

I think you're catching on, but the "why" is where the bulk of your essay should be. It does sound like your "what" might be a bit lengthy right now. You might want to see if you can make that part more concise.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 01:04
yeah my "what i did" is a bit lengthy. However, i am also confused as in does "WHY" consists of any other hidden question. i am asking this because i summarized why in a single line only. what else needs to be stated
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 412 [1] , given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 03:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
vikram4689 wrote:
yeah my "what i did" is a bit lengthy. However, i am also confused as in does "WHY" consists of any other hidden question. i am asking this because i summarized why in a single line only. what else needs to be stated

Why was this your most significant achievement? What made it so significant to you? Why do you feel that way? I think you need to take some time to reflect on the situation and your actions before you write a (pretty short) essay you'll be happy with.

There are also a lot of essay analyses online done by various consultants; if you do a quick search for them, you might find some of them to be helpful for you as you work on your essays.

aerien

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 05:23
Thanks Aerian, you comments helped a lot. I also googled consultant's analyses but none of them was as explicit. i answered all 3 question you mentioned. Now, i have good breakup: 143 words for what i did and 147 for why it means to be most important.
Expert Post
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 05:26
Expert's post
Intern
Intern
Schools: Yale '15 (I)
GMAT 1: Q V0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 10:06
Round 3 applicants? Bueller? Bueller?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 10:28
chessmaster1234 wrote:

I am applying. Maybe @aerien can share his "secret" with us, and we all can join him at SOM.

@aerien: Any idea what the yield is looking like for SOM this year? Just trying to predict the open spots for R3/WL applicants. Can you do one of your insanely complex calculations and give us a number?

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.25

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 37

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 11:14
hailmary620 wrote:
chessmaster1234 wrote:

I am applying. Maybe @aerien can share his "secret" with us, and we all can join him at SOM.

@aerien: Any idea what the yield is looking like for SOM this year? Just trying to predict the open spots for R3/WL applicants. Can you do one of your insanely complex calculations and give us a number?

There was an admissions chat today. Did you see it?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Schools: Yale '15 (WL)
WE: Analyst (Other)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 11:23
I did not get a chance to login to the admission chat today. Did anybody attend the online chat? if so were there any interesting stats on Yield or Interview acceptance rate ?
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 136 [1] , given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 11:30
This post received
KUDOS
alphabetagamma wrote:
I did not get a chance to login to the admission chat today. Did anybody attend the online chat? if so were there any interesting stats on Yield or Interview acceptance rate ?

I was on. Nothing major to report other than the R3 admissions depend upon the yield from R1/R2. I asked them how the yield is looking like and they didn't disclose.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 13:02
are round 2 interviews finally over? Maybe they'll make a last minute executive decision to start making calls early... you never know :P
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2013, 13:02