Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 11:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Current Student
avatar
Status: Yale! (whipped and bound)
Joined: 02 May 2012
Posts: 403
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 15:34
Nonetheless, I bet some interviews leave them wondering if you can handle the work from an academic perspective. For example, if your spoken English is really poor (either as an English language learner or not) they will question your ability to contribute to the case method. Otherwise, I generally agree that the first check is to answer the "can you handle it" question.

I want to add that my guess is that for people on the bubble ("I wonder if they can handle the work?"), the adcom invites them to interview because the committee is willing to admit exceptional candidates with shaky quant skills. The question they are inadvertently asking is, "Are they worth it?" So by no means have you proven your complete academic chops in all cases. They are looking for a reason to admit you and hopefully the interview helps create that reason!
_________________

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1251
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 245

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 15:47
Expert's post
Good point, machichi! Numbers-aside, you could be a great applicant and show all the nebulous qualities SOM is looking for in a student. If you're that person, then in the interview you have to show them that you are worth potentially lowering their GPA/GMAT average in order to admit you. It seems kind of harsh, but numbers are numbers and they do affect rankings, perceptions, etc. Again, you have to SHOW that you're worth it, not just look good on paper.
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2012
Posts: 24
Location: United States
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2013, 11:09
1
This post received
KUDOS
machichi wrote:
Nonetheless, I bet some interviews leave them wondering if you can handle the work from an academic perspective. For example, if your spoken English is really poor (either as an English language learner or not) they will question your ability to contribute to the case method. Otherwise, I generally agree that the first check is to answer the "can you handle it" question.

I want to add that my guess is that for people on the bubble ("I wonder if they can handle the work?"), the adcom invites them to interview because the committee is willing to admit exceptional candidates with shaky quant skills. The question they are inadvertently asking is, "Are they worth it?" So by no means have you proven your complete academic chops in all cases. They are looking for a reason to admit you and hopefully the interview helps create that reason!


To your point however Yale SOM also has a strong applicant pool, so in addition to the "can you handle it?" part they're probably also screening for fit as well in the initial pass. If they read an application that suggests the applicant is using the school as a "safety" or the applicant did little to no little research on the school I'm sure the app goes straight to the 'ding' box.
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Yale SOM 2015!
Joined: 28 Feb 2012
Posts: 180
Location: United States (MA)
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 107

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2013, 11:21
tokugawa86 wrote:
machichi wrote:
Nonetheless, I bet some interviews leave them wondering if you can handle the work from an academic perspective. For example, if your spoken English is really poor (either as an English language learner or not) they will question your ability to contribute to the case method. Otherwise, I generally agree that the first check is to answer the "can you handle it" question.

I want to add that my guess is that for people on the bubble ("I wonder if they can handle the work?"), the adcom invites them to interview because the committee is willing to admit exceptional candidates with shaky quant skills. The question they are inadvertently asking is, "Are they worth it?" So by no means have you proven your complete academic chops in all cases. They are looking for a reason to admit you and hopefully the interview helps create that reason!


To your point however Yale SOM also has a strong applicant pool, so in addition to the "can you handle it?" part they're probably also screening for fit as well in the initial pass. If they read an application that suggests the applicant is using the school as a "safety" or the applicant did little to no little research on the school I'm sure the app goes straight to the 'ding' box.


Ahh I am really crossing my fingers that you are right about applicants using Yale as a "safety" and not doing as much research. I was super impressed with all of the prospective students I met on my interview day, but I did get the sense that Yale might be a back-up for some of them.

"Where all did you apply?" "Harvard, Stanford, Wharton...and Yale"

Whereas for me, Yale is a dream school. Hopefully I made that abundantly clear in my interview/application!
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jan 2012
Posts: 34
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2013, 13:47
Guessing round 2 calls can be expected around 8 EST on 28th? Experienced participants please share your thoughts on this.


I didn't speak about any other colleges during my interview, although my GMAT report shows few top schools I applied to (although Yale is my top choice). hope it doesn't affect my chances.
Current Student
avatar
Status: Yale! (whipped and bound)
Joined: 02 May 2012
Posts: 403
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 12:11
Filled out my data form today. So excited to get my email address! Woohoo! Two points:

1) My passport expires in September of this year. DOH. I am so glad I noticed this now!
2) I can't find a place to upload a passport photo but they explicitly ask for one in the previous screen. Anyone figured this out?
_________________

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2011
Posts: 199
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 80

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 12:26
machichi wrote:
2) I can't find a place to upload a passport photo but they explicitly ask for one in the previous screen. Anyone figured this out?

Don't know the particulars for this year's site but I think we had to upload ours through Yale university somehow. The thing to keep in mind is that SOM will use this picture for everything so make sure it's not just something you threw together.
Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1251
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 245

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 13:38
Expert's post
OhDenny wrote:
machichi wrote:
2) I can't find a place to upload a passport photo but they explicitly ask for one in the previous screen. Anyone figured this out?

Don't know the particulars for this year's site but I think we had to upload ours through Yale university somehow. The thing to keep in mind is that SOM will use this picture for everything so make sure it's not just something you threw together.


Thanks, OhDenny! Maybe I should find a picture that's actually half-way decent...hmmm *chucks actual passport photo out the window*

And machichi, I think they would have to direct us to another link/page in order to do that & I'd guess the same for actually activating/setting-up our email accounts. It's technically due soon, so I'm hoping they'll update the site within the next couple of days. They're probably swamped making R2 decisions now... we R1 deposit-paid people don't matter as much anymore :P
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2012
Posts: 27
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 17:14
machichi wrote:
Filled out my data form today. So excited to get my email address! Woohoo! Two points:

1) My passport expires in September of this year. DOH. I am so glad I noticed this now!
2) I can't find a place to upload a passport photo but they explicitly ask for one in the previous screen. Anyone figured this out?



What data form are you referring to? I did the Re-Vera verification about a month ago and haven't heard back... I assume the process you are talking about (e.g. passports photos, email address creation, etc.) comes after the Re-Vera results come back? Thanks
Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1251
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 245

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 17:23
Expert's post
ugeman229 wrote:
machichi wrote:
Filled out my data form today. So excited to get my email address! Woohoo! Two points:

1) My passport expires in September of this year. DOH. I am so glad I noticed this now!
2) I can't find a place to upload a passport photo but they explicitly ask for one in the previous screen. Anyone figured this out?



What data form are you referring to? I did the Re-Vera verification about a month ago and haven't heard back... I assume the process you are talking about (e.g. passports photos, email address creation, etc.) comes after the Re-Vera results come back? Thanks


There's a link on the admitted students site to the form. Check out the list on the homepage of things to do each month (eg pay deposit, etc). This is under March.
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2012
Posts: 27
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 17:37
aerien wrote:
ugeman229 wrote:
machichi wrote:
Filled out my data form today. So excited to get my email address! Woohoo! Two points:

1) My passport expires in September of this year. DOH. I am so glad I noticed this now!
2) I can't find a place to upload a passport photo but they explicitly ask for one in the previous screen. Anyone figured this out?



What data form are you referring to? I did the Re-Vera verification about a month ago and haven't heard back... I assume the process you are talking about (e.g. passports photos, email address creation, etc.) comes after the Re-Vera results come back? Thanks


There's a link on the admitted students site to the form. Check out the list on the homepage of things to do each month (eg pay deposit, etc). This is under March.



Hmm... I see the line item you are referencing but mine isn't a link (nothing to click). Does this appear after the Re-Vera process?
Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1251
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 245

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 17:54
Expert's post
ugeman229 wrote:
aerien wrote:
ugeman229 wrote:


What data form are you referring to? I did the Re-Vera verification about a month ago and haven't heard back... I assume the process you are talking about (e.g. passports photos, email address creation, etc.) comes after the Re-Vera results come back? Thanks


There's a link on the admitted students site to the form. Check out the list on the homepage of things to do each month (eg pay deposit, etc). This is under March.



Hmm... I see the line item you are referencing but mine isn't a link (nothing to click). Does this appear after the Re-Vera process?


Not sure. Maybe having the link to fill out the form is the unofficial notice that ReVera's check is complete? Anyone else have the link or not?
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2011
Posts: 96
Location: Kuwait
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 23

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 06:48
1
This post received
KUDOS
T - 3. I'm starting to get nervous!
_________________

INSEAD - MBA Class of December 2015
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/insead15d/
WhatsApp Group (Admits): PM me with your number to join the group :-)

Current Student
User avatar
Status: Yale SOM 2015!
Joined: 28 Feb 2012
Posts: 180
Location: United States (MA)
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 107

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 07:09
Pashya wrote:
T - 3. I'm starting to get nervous!


Me too! Crossing my fingers for all of the GC-ers...good luck everyone!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2012
Posts: 25
Concentration: International Business, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q36 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.56
WE: General Management (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 7

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 07:38
lb2015 wrote:
Pashya wrote:
T - 3. I'm starting to get nervous!


Me too! Crossing my fingers for all of the GC-ers...good luck everyone!


As my friend's parents said when he was little waiting for Christmas...3 more sleeps till we find out!
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Yale SOM 2015!
Joined: 28 Feb 2012
Posts: 180
Location: United States (MA)
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 107

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 08:10
ln0038a wrote:
lb2015 wrote:
Pashya wrote:
T - 3. I'm starting to get nervous!


Me too! Crossing my fingers for all of the GC-ers...good luck everyone!


As my friend's parents said when he was little waiting for Christmas...3 more sleeps till we find out!


Aw that's cute. I fear the "sleeps" may be a bit restless for me, though! :?
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2012
Posts: 28
Schools: Yale '15 (I)
GMAT 1: Q V0
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [2] , given: 3

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 08:11
2
This post received
KUDOS
This weeks Virgo horoscope: "Your hard work of the past six months could pay off too, so don’t be shy about tooting your own horn"
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Feb 2013
Posts: 19
Location: United States
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Schools: Yale '15 (WL)
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 09:22
HAHA :-D .....My Horoscope reads : " You may get favorable results from opposite sex. The stars further indicate that the present time is favorable and so, make the maximum of the good time." ....God Damn it!!!!
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2012
Posts: 24
Location: United States
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 09:35
chessmaster1234 wrote:
This weeks Virgo horoscope: "Your hard work of the past six months could pay off too, so don’t be shy about tooting your own horn"


Read my yahoo horoscope:

"Information comes your way, probably early, that confirms an idea that's been building in your mind for quite some time. The odds are good that this is a positive development."

I hope so!!!!! :P
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 Mar 2011
Posts: 129
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
WE: Law (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 38

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 13:40
R1 admits please help: did you get scholarship info directly after getting accepted or did you have to wait for some time (f.e. you got it with your package by mail)?

Thanks!
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 25 Mar 2013, 13:40
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
286 Experts publish their posts in the topic Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants aerien 1287 06 Jul 2012, 18:10
13 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants Dbalks 159 13 Dec 2012, 16:57
63 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants nink 913 02 Jul 2009, 06:55
7 Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! IHateTheGMAT 422 20 Jul 2008, 21:45
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  43   44   45   46   47   48   49  ...  65    Next  [ 1288 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.