Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 22:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 09:56
Not gonna lie, the 66.5% employment rate at graduation is a bit scary! Any insight into what this could be attributed to?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q36 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.56
WE: General Management (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 7

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 10:00
dman25 wrote:
Not gonna lie, the 66.5% employment rate at graduation is a bit scary! Any insight into what this could be attributed to?

Where are you finding this number?

Yale's employment report here (http://mba.yale.edu/MBA/careers/pdf/employment_data.pdf) states at 3 months after graduation, of those seeking employment, 89% of those had received offers...
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 410 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 10:04
Expert's post
dman25 wrote:

That is scary and was something I considered when picking schools. At the end of the day it's about how much effort you put into your job search. Would you love it if on campus recruiting showered you with offers? Of course! But if you want to do something that doesn't recruit on campus, then the onus is on you to get an offer where you want to be. Now, that probably won't account for the entire 40% but I'd think it'd account for some. Just my two cents.

From an adcom/recruiting perspective, this could have provided the impetus to hire Booth's head of recruiting. Everyone seems to love her and hopefully she'll work her magic on SOM.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GPA: 3.7
WE: Operations (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 5

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 10:12
ln0038a wrote:
dman25 wrote:

Where are you finding this number?

Yale's employment report here (http://mba.yale.edu/MBA/careers/pdf/employment_data.pdf) states at 3 months after graduation, of those seeking employment, 89% of those had received offers...

ln0038a - the link to where that 66.5% number is below:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/2014-us-news-business-school-ranking-149042.html

That forum post includes an excel download of the US News 2014 ranking with details on avg. GMAT, acceptance rate, avg. starting salary, avg. undergrad GPA, etc. I totally agree that these full-time employment rates look way off compared to what the Yale SOM page shows. 66.5% would put them at #57 compared to the other schools in this excel file.

Another thing to note: the Yale employment PDF shows median starting salary (100K) + median guaranteed comp (30.75K). This is about 10K higher than the average of 121K shown in the excel file. I understand that median does not equal average, but I wanted to point that out. All I'm saying is that the data looks a little strange.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 7

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 10:51
Did everyone just get the "touching base" email from SOM? Scared the bejeezus out of me! Then realized that Yale was just kindly reminding me to wait another 2.5 weeks for a decision :/
Intern
Intern

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 10:59
msss wrote:
Did everyone just get the "touching base" email from SOM? Scared the bejeezus out of me! Then realized that Yale was just kindly reminding me to wait another 2.5 weeks for a decision :/

Same. I dont know how to feel. Thanks for letting us know you havent forgotten us, but really can't you just tell us noooow.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Anderson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

Reviews Badge
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 11:19
ln0038a wrote:
msss wrote:

Same. I dont know how to feel. Thanks for letting us know you havent forgotten us, but really can't you just tell us noooow.

I was hoping to find out maybe couple days before the decision date but I guess we will all have to wait until decision date!
Current Student
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 15

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 11:26
Calm down, guys :)
We will have our final decision soon!
Easier said than done, I know. I am also exploding of anxiety... let's keep calm and our faith!
What has to be, it's going to be!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 8

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 11:50
i didn't receive the email!!! Panic maybe?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q42 V47
GPA: 3.2
WE: Business Development (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 11:54
ln0038a wrote:
msss wrote:

Did both of you interview?
Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 11:58
naughtyelf2000 wrote:

Did you interview? The email I got started off by saying "it's been a while since you interviewed"
Intern
Intern

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 12:07
mba20155 wrote:
naughtyelf2000 wrote:

Did you interview? The email I got started off by saying "it's been a while since you interviewed"

Yeah.. interviewed a month ago....

Dunno what to make out of it...
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 107

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 12:52
Agreed. naughtyelf, did you check your spam folder?
Intern
Intern

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 12:58
lb2015 wrote:
Agreed. naughtyelf, did you check your spam folder?

Nuttin'...
Weird....
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.6

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 02:54
I didn't rcv the email either - not sure why they wouldn't send it to everyone that has interviewed? ... :/
Intern
Intern

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 06:33
lazarusrisen wrote:
ln0038a wrote:
msss wrote:

Did both of you interview?

Yes.
Expert Post
VP
VP

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 20:19
Expert's post
mba20155 wrote:
naughtyelf2000 wrote:

Another tidbit to add: I've noticed SOM personalizes their emails to an extent, which I thought was a nice touch. For R1 at least, if you interviewed early on, you got an email that started with "it's been a while since you interviewed....". If you had to reschedule your interview due to Hurricane Sandy, the email thanked you for your flexibility during that time. If you had just interviewed, then your email was a more generic "thanks for coming to campus..."

I'm not sure what's up with the R2 emails since at least one person didn't get one. Perhaps that has to do with Skype vs in-person interviews? Or it could just be that some admissions officers sent them and others didn't (again, not sure how that would happen but we've all seen stranger things happen when it comes to adcom communications)? Just my 2 cents.

aerien

Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 20:27
aerien wrote:
mba20155 wrote:
naughtyelf2000 wrote:

Another tidbit to add: I've noticed SOM personalizes their emails to an extent, which I thought was a nice touch. For R1 at least, if you interviewed early on, you got an email that started with "it's been a while since you interviewed....". If you had to reschedule your interview due to Hurricane Sandy, the email thanked you for your flexibility during that time. If you had just interviewed, then your email was a more generic "thanks for coming to campus..."

I'm not sure what's up with the R2 emails since at least one person didn't get one. Perhaps that has to do with Skype vs in-person interviews? Or it could just be that some admissions officers sent them and others didn't (again, not sure how that would happen but we've all seen stranger things happen when it comes to adcom communications)? Just my 2 cents.

I missed my original on-campus interview due to snow storm Nemo and had to do a Skype interview, but I got the generic thanks for interviewing email. I guess no personalization for R2? haha either way.. can't wait till decision date!
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 20:32
aerien wrote:
mba20155 wrote:
naughtyelf2000 wrote:

I missed my original on-campus interview due to snow storm Nemo and had to do a Skype interview, but I got the generic thanks for interviewing email. I guess no personalization for R2? haha either way.. can't wait till decision date!

It's also possible they have some cutoff date for sending that kind of e-mail, obviously if you interviewed recently they wouldn't send you an e-mail saying "it's been a while"... hope that helps :) The 28th cant come soon enough Yale is my dream school :-D GL TO ALL.
Expert Post
VP
VP

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 20:45
Expert's post
mba20155 wrote:
aerien wrote:
mba20155 wrote:

Haha. I'm starting to think they spent too much time on the R1 apps :P

aerien

Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2013, 20:45