Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 22:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale SOM

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 03:28
Thanks buddy...Much appreciated

lanter1 wrote:
deepakg wrote:
Hi Lanter,

Just want to know what is the general impression about Yale.How is yale considered for finance(I Banking or PE). general impression is its good for non profit or Economics. Contrary to general impression statistics reveal more than 50% of class goes to finance.
Also, class profile is very small...How do general students there take it. On one hand it advantages you with a small class size, more cooperative people, you can know less no of people better but on other hand it leaves you with a small size of alumni to tap into.
Am confused whether to look for school with small class size or a bigger class size. Would be great if you could express your opinion. In hindsight do you regret going to Yale or think better if had gone to some other school?

Cheers

Yale is great because of the people so far. As far as class, they are loading us up with 6 classes and two seminar style courses through mid-October and then it slows down a little bit.

There is a large banking presence on campus. Just this week we had Bill Donaldson (founder DLJ and SOM) speaking on campus along with presentations from Citi, Merrill Lynch, Diversified Financial companies, and Exxon finance. As far as PE, there are a few firms that come to campus but not like IB. PE and VC are jobs you will have to work on yourself and network with Yale alumni. There are many alumni at PE and VC firms.

We love the class size. As far as networking, SOM works with former Law grads in business positions and they bring in a lot of undergrads who have an affinity for the university as a whole. This really extends our smallish SOM network.

I do not regret going to Yale as it is the right school for me. You have to find the right school for across all factors. I decided between Duke, Virginia, and Yale. After considering all factors, including a small class size, Yale was right for me.

One benefit Yale has compared to some schools is the proximity to NYC. I can take a 1.5 hour train ride to NYC on a Friday for Informational Interviews and to meet with alumni. In addition, you can stay at the Yale Club which makes NYC affordable with student rates.

If opportunity doesn't knock build a door

SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2008, 07:55
Hi lanter,
What type of students do you think would be a good fit at Yale? I know you mentioned that diversity and awareness-outside-of-bschool (e.g. non profits, etc) are important but what else?

Also, a recent chicago grad I spoke with described both Yale and Chicago as being good for "geeky" students. Do you think that's true for Yale?

thanks,
ac.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2008, 13:47
ac8706 wrote:
Hi lanter,
What type of students do you think would be a good fit at Yale? I know you mentioned that diversity and awareness-outside-of-bschool (e.g. non profits, etc) are important but what else?

Also, a recent chicago grad I spoke with described both Yale and Chicago as being good for "geeky" students. Do you think that's true for Yale?

thanks,
ac.

I am definitely not "geeky" and neither are most of my classmates. Are most of the students in my class business people? No, but they are not geeky...we do have some extremely smart people who amaze me everyday. I think someone who wants to be exposed to many different backgrounds and ways of thinking would be a great fit. It is truly a unique environment when compared to other top schools.

Lanter 1

"Lunch is for wimps."

SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2008, 20:16
lanter1 wrote:
ac8706 wrote:
Hi lanter,

thanks,
ac.

I am definitely not "geeky" and neither are most of my classmates. Are most of the students in my class business people? No, but they are not geeky...we do have some extremely smart people who amaze me everyday. I think someone who wants to be exposed to many different backgrounds and ways of thinking would be a great fit. It is truly a unique environment when compared to other top schools.

thanks lanter!
Director
Director

Re: Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2008, 11:40
UPDATE: The interim Dean will be in place for 18 months at which point we will have a full-time in place

The new building is still on track for use by the class of '11. RUMOR/probably true: They are about to name a donor who is giving over $50M to complete the fundraising for the new building.

Lanter 1

"Lunch is for wimps."

Intern
Intern

Re: Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2008, 02:03
Hi Lanter,

I have done a lot of research on Yale SOM and somehow get uncanny feeling that Yale and tuck are best suited for me. but still when i read blogs of students from other schools (say like Chicago, harvard, wharton likes...) they tend to see yale in low light, stating faculty is not that great, CDO badly needs improvement. One of them who visited Yale posted that Class participation is not that great by students. Many of them tend to keep Yale as their last choice i.e. if dont get admission anywhere then will go to Yale. Please find below an email i sent to current yale student, who too seems to be complaining in discreet manner about small alumni base to tap into........Would be of great help if you could please address my apprehensions.

[i]Hi Deepak:

Good to hear from you, sorry for the delay in writing you back. Yes, it is very difficult to get into private equity right after school, especially if you do not have any investment banking experience before hand. The most logical path is to come to business school, and then work in banking for a few years before making the jump. In the end, it comes to the relationship that you may build with members of the PE world, and luck, if the fund has an opportunity when you are looking.

In terms of strengths, Yale's class is the smallest among the top 15 b-schools, which is both good and bad. Good because you really get to know all your fellow students, all your professors, and most of the alumni in your field. Bad because that means you have a far smaller alumni base to tap into. The school has a good reputation and string presence in finance, although it is not known as a finance school. Still, about 50% of our graduates end up in finance. The school has a very strong reputation for non-profit and socially responsible business management.

As for my plans, I spent a summer interning at AAA's investment banking division, and plan on going back full time when I graduate. We'll see how the PE thing works out in a few years.

Hope that helps. Please let me know if I can help in any other way. I'm happy to also put you in touch with some of our alums in India, if you'd like to connect with them about the Yale experience.

Best,

XXXX

XXXX

MBA Candidate, Class of 2009

Hello XXXX,

Hope you are doing fine

Its Deepak Goyal here from India and i got your contact form Yale website: XXX club.

I want to do my Mba from a Top tier US B school and Yale of course is one of those schools. I am planning to apply next year. To brief about my profile, i am a chartered accountant by qualification and have 2 years experience till date currently working with CRISIL (S&P India) in equity research. Prior to that i was with Deloitte in statutory audits.

I am primarily interested in joining Private equity post MBA. What is the core strength of Yale like Chicago, Wharton are for Finance. How do you find Yale for Private equity. From whatever limited interaction i had with few students, it seems Yale is known more for Economics, so is it hard to get into PE from there? Even otherwise, from what i understand, its hard to get into Private equity straight after MBA. Just wanted to know how are you planning to approach it.

Thanks in advance,

Deepak Goyal
[/i][/i]

Director
Director

Re: Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2008, 18:28
deepakg,

The only thing you hit on that I see as a fault of the school is the CDO could use improvement in certain areas but for finance they are great. As far as faculty, we have world-renowned professors in venture capital, private equity, finance, economics, and nonprofit. I was watching the NBC special on the credit crisis and they quoted three or four of my profs on CNBC. I didn't hear a Harvard prof quoted.

Last week we went to a target IB event and our students are on par with any program in the nation. Chicago, Columbia, NYU and Duke were respresented and our students made a great impression on bankers according to those from nontarget schools. We have great relationships with every bank but Goldman.

I encountered the "yale is my third or fourth option" speak last year also. I can say it's a great university with very bright students. A lot of this has to do with rankings and not brand name as Yale is one of four schools in the world with such a name. One of the items businessweek looks at is the average salary of students and our nonprofit salaries bring us way down.

As far as PE, it is hard to get into PE out of any school right now especially without a great finance background.

Lanter 1

"Lunch is for wimps."

Intern
Intern

Re: Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 03:07
Thanks Lanter for all the help. you have been a great help indeed. efforts u take to guide the aspirants is worth appreciating. one more question about teaching methodology there, Yale uses case method or lecture or a if a mix of both then what does it majorly comprise of.i mean mix is more tilted towards lecture or lots of case method.

Thanks in advance.
lanter1 wrote:
deepakg,

The only thing you hit on that I see as a fault of the school is the CDO could use improvement in certain areas but for finance they are great. As far as faculty, we have world-renowned professors in venture capital, private equity, finance, economics, and nonprofit. I was watching the NBC special on the credit crisis and they quoted three or four of my profs on CNBC. I didn't hear a Harvard prof quoted.

Last week we went to a target IB event and our students are on par with any program in the nation. Chicago, Columbia, NYU and Duke were respresented and our students made a great impression on bankers according to those from nontarget schools. We have great relationships with every bank but Goldman.

I encountered the "yale is my third or fourth option" speak last year also. I can say it's a great university with very bright students. A lot of this has to do with rankings and not brand name as Yale is one of four schools in the world with such a name. One of the items businessweek looks at is the average salary of students and our nonprofit salaries bring us way down.

As far as PE, it is hard to get into PE out of any school right now especially without a great finance background.

Director
Director

Re: Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 19:04
It is 50/50 mix in most classes with some more and some less. I am not a huge fan of case method so far. The cases are great and high quality, but it is against my comfort level. However, the reason I came to Yale was in order to leave my comfort zone so I am slowly getting used to it.

Lanter 1

"Lunch is for wimps."

Intern
Intern

Re: Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2008, 22:51
Thanks a lot.
lanter1 wrote:
It is 50/50 mix in most classes with some more and some less. I am not a huge fan of case method so far. The cases are great and high quality, but it is against my comfort level. However, the reason I came to Yale was in order to leave my comfort zone so I am slowly getting used to it.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 05:34
Lanter - I read from clearadmit blog that the new building will be finished by fall 2011. Does this mean that MBA '11 won't be using the new building?
Director
Director

Re: Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2008, 21:05
ozzie123 wrote:
Lanter - I read from clearadmit blog that the new building will be finished by fall 2011. Does this mean that MBA '11 won't be using the new building?

The new building is hot topic since the dean left. We are trying to secure additional funding that was in line but now is in question. I have seen the model and it is amazing. Whoever gets to enjoy the building will be very satisfied.

I don't believe the class of 2011 will see the new building and may not see it being built. It is an unpleasant situation for everyone at SOM right now.

Lanter 1

"Lunch is for wimps."

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 3

Re: Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2008, 21:25
This post received
KUDOS
Yes I've seen the 3D model and the new building is really pretty... makes me want to apply just based on that alone :lol:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 11:33
I had a quick question re: financial aid... if you're not offered grant/fellowship $ with your acceptance notification, are there opportunities for that down the road if you enroll? Have not been down the student loan path before so it's all quite a new experience.
Director
Director

Re: Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2009, 14:45
It never hurts to ask for money now especially if you have any leverage. The prospects for 2nd year students is not that great.

Lanter 1

"Lunch is for wimps."

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 07:23
Hi,

I'm planning a visit to Yale this June. Does the school prefer students to visit the admissions office? I know that some schools don't track visits, but some do and weigh them in your application. Would appreciate any insights, thanks.

Regards,
Aboo
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

Re: Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 09:49
Hi Lanter, can you give your thoughts on current recruiting at Yale for both full-time positions for second years and internships for first years? I assume finance is taking a hit but wanted to get your insight on other areas. Thanks!

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director

Re: Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2009, 06:13
aboodoing wrote:
Hi,

I'm planning a visit to Yale this June. Does the school prefer students to visit the admissions office? I know that some schools don't track visits, but some do and weigh them in your application. Would appreciate any insights, thanks.

Regards,
Aboo

I would always go through the admissions. Whether they track or not, it's a great way to get facetime with them.

Lanter 1

"Lunch is for wimps."

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 0

Re: Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2009, 06:17
This post received
KUDOS
rca215 wrote:
Hi Lanter, can you give your thoughts on current recruiting at Yale for both full-time positions for second years and internships for first years? I assume finance is taking a hit but wanted to get your insight on other areas. Thanks!

It's going well. Banking internships are down 50% compared to last year, but we have had several Asian students get internships for IB in Asia. Consulting is down also. All of the companies are coming to campus, but they are just hiring less people.

The school is also trying to setup a fellowship for students who don't get internships, to right cases for Yale in areas of interest. So, someone who does not get into I-banking or other financial services, could spend the summer engrossed in invesment banking research.

Also, alums are coming from every company to help place people in non-traditional roles for SOM. We have CFOs at several mid-size companies and they are trying to help place. Plus we have many mid-market finance companies coming who may have stayed away in the past.

Lanter 1

"Lunch is for wimps."

Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 32

Re: Yale SOM [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2010, 03:22
Hi Lanter,

I came across this disconcerting article about Yale from a link on the Wikipedia page on Elihu Yale.
http://www.hindu.com/2005/05/04/stories ... 441000.htm

Is it true that (as recently as 2005 ) there is/was a portrait of Yale with a black slave in one of the school boardrooms ?

Yale University's history, bound up with violence against both Indians and African-Americans, is forcefully symbolised in a portrait that hangs in a campus boardroom. This picture from the early 18th century shows Elihu Yale adorned in colonial splendour, with a black slave kneeling in the foreground, silver collar and long metal chain hanging from his neck.
Re: Yale SOM   [#permalink] 01 Aug 2010, 03:22