Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 06:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale SOM Class of 2016 Admitted Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Yale '16 (M)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [2] , given: 45

Yale SOM Class of 2016 Admitted Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2013, 01:23
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Yale University School of Management

Admitted Students Thread.

Congratulations to all those who have been accepted to the class of 2016 at Yale SOM!

Starting this thread to facilitate discussion.

Roll Call

NOTE :- The above list updates automatically as and when applicants update their application Status. If your name does not appear in the list, please check and update your application status or post in this thread.

Last edited by Narenn on 03 Jan 2014, 22:45, edited 6 times in total.
Changed to Sticky
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 13

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM Class of 2016 Admitted Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2013, 04:34
Thanks for getting this started. I'm still so excited!! Congrats all, we made it!

Posted from my mobile device Image

Advice, Musings, and Experiences from a member of the HBS Class of 2016
- What questions to ask admissions officers
- 5 Things to do Now to Prepare for Round 1 applications
http://DefyingGravityMBA.blogspot.com/

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Yale SOM Class of 2016 Admitted Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 07:58
So I was granted a scholarship but also applied through the consortium... does anyone else have a similar case? I'm wondering if it is because our decision is due before the consortium fellowships are announced...
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM Class of 2016 Admitted Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 14:25
Same here. I am wondering if the deposit date can be pushed back for consortium applicants.

Edit: I asked to have deposit date pushed back and was granted an extension.

Last edited by DefyingGravity on 27 Feb 2014, 07:44, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 640 Q38 V39
GPA: 3.31
WE: Human Resources (Internet and New Media)

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

Re: Yale SOM Class of 2016 Admitted Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 16:43
lurlybird wrote:
So I was granted a scholarship but also applied through the consortium... does anyone else have a similar case? I'm wondering if it is because our decision is due before the consortium fellowships are announced...

Did you mark them as your first choice? They had the option of telling those who marked them as #1 if they got the Consortium Fellowship on the day of admission. If you marked them as #1 and didn't get the fellowship... you may not have gotten it. But if you marked them as #2 and beyond, you might need to wait until March.

I am just hypothesizing on all of this, but it is how my rational works, haha.
Manager
Manager

Re: Yale SOM Class of 2016 Admitted Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 16:48
Sooooo I am kind of being an eager beaver here, but... are there any pre-orientation programs? I am thinking kind of like Kellogg's KWEST program. I would love to do something fun with some of my classmates before starting with the chaos and after leaving my job.

Has anyone heard of any trips or activities that get us to meet some others? If not, I might just have to organize something...

You would have thought an admission to SOM would have finally made me productive at work again... but no, no it hasn't.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM Class of 2016 Admitted Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 17:55
Expert's post
speedyb09 wrote:
Sooooo I am kind of being an eager beaver here, but... are there any pre-orientation programs? I am thinking kind of like Kellogg's KWEST program. I would love to do something fun with some of my classmates before starting with the chaos and after leaving my job.

Has anyone heard of any trips or activities that get us to meet some others? If not, I might just have to organize something...

You would have thought an admission to SOM would have finally made me productive at work again... but no, no it hasn't.

Hah! You've turned the corner and can now only think about all the cool things you'll do starting next summer ;)

For my year there were no official trips like the ones that some other schools do (KWEST, RandomWalks, etc), but people did use the facebook group and admitted student weekends to coordinate trips. I'm not sure if they're changing that for the Class of 2016, but @OhDenny might know if there are any nudges in that direction or not. And yes, if you plan on going somewhere, do post on the facebook group and I'm sure others will want to join you!

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM Class of 2016 Admitted Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 23:10
Thanks tinkered for starting this thread and congrats to everyone!

Any of you in New Delhi? Would love to meet up.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 5

Re: Yale SOM Class of 2016 Admitted Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2013, 00:56
pk87 wrote:
Thanks tinkered for starting this thread and congrats to everyone!

Any of you in New Delhi? Would love to meet up.

Congrats to everyone. pk87 I should be coming to Delhi for the Feb 11 event. Let's catch up then.

My debrief - http://gmatclub.com/forum/770-q50-v44-on-my-first-attempt-debrief-118007.html

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 3

Re: Yale SOM Class of 2016 Admitted Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2013, 13:39
This post received
KUDOS
aerien wrote:
speedyb09 wrote:

Hah! You've turned the corner and can now only think about all the cool things you'll do starting next summer ;)

For my year there were no official trips like the ones that some other schools do (KWEST, RandomWalks, etc), but people did use the facebook group and admitted student weekends to coordinate trips. I'm not sure if they're changing that for the Class of 2016, but @OhDenny might know if there are any nudges in that direction or not. And yes, if you plan on going somewhere, do post on the facebook group and I'm sure others will want to join you!

Yes, I definitely have already turned the corner. It is dangerous for work concentration!
I would love it if there was some sort of pre-orientation trip (hey any rising 2nd years, wanna lead us?!). I am even already calling it the "Yale SOMmer Trip." You saw what I did there, right? "SOMmer?" Haha.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 80

Re: Yale SOM Class of 2016 Admitted Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 18:29
speedyb09 wrote:
Yes, I definitely have already turned the corner. It is dangerous for work concentration!
I would love it if there was some sort of pre-orientation trip (hey any rising 2nd years, wanna lead us?!). I am even already calling it the "Yale SOMmer Trip." You saw what I did there, right? "SOMmer?" Haha.

This is really interesting to me. I don't have any idea where to begin, however. Would you be able to send me an overview of how it's structured/budgets/logistics at other schools? Will definitely bring it up with Student Gov and the Administration.
Manager
Manager

Re: Yale SOM Class of 2016 Admitted Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2013, 08:14
OhDenny wrote:
speedyb09 wrote:

This is really interesting to me. I don't have any idea where to begin, however. Would you be able to send me an overview of how it's structured/budgets/logistics at other schools? Will definitely bring it up with Student Gov and the Administration.

Having never been to another school, I am not 100% how the internal workings go... but I can use my Google-fu to bring up some additional information:
"....brings together incoming students through a variety of adventure, cultural, social and community service activities. The program introduces students to a core group of friends..."
"The second year students run the program in conjunction with [the] administration, organizing trips to some of the world’s most spectacular destinations..."
"Last year over 80 percent of the incoming students and many of their significant others participated... In addition to the standard, week-long trip, a variety of trips are offered to suit students' situations and preferences, including family trips, domestic trips and shorter trips."
Trips take place the week before pre-term orientation
Trips are planned and led by 4-5 second year students

... I will PM you if I find more information. :)
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM Class of 2016 Admitted Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2013, 08:46
For Kellogg's KWEST trips, there is a list of trips and notes about whether the trip will be more culturally-focused, relaxing, party atmosphere, etc. Then, people rank their top choices through an online system. Would be pretty neat if Yale offered something similar.

Manager
Manager

Re: Yale SOM Class of 2016 Admitted Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2013, 10:29
DefyingGravity wrote:
For Kellogg's KWEST trips, there is a list of trips and notes about whether the trip will be more culturally-focused, relaxing, party atmosphere, etc. Then, people rank their top choices through an online system. Would be pretty neat if Yale offered something similar.

So, I'm definitely going to bring it up with my colleagues in Student Government and with the Administration. Three things:

1. Reading about these makes me wistful for the time right before orientation, when I was excited and nervous all at once.
2. These are actually quite similar to trips that are taken over spring break pre-International Experience, so there may be some overlap there.
3. Doing something like this may conflict with the academic calendar, so there'll need to be really tight coordination. I'm not sure it could happen by this summer, but I'd encourage you to start thinking now how you could propose this and secure funding and administrative support to get this together. SOM is definitely a self-starty type of place, and this would definitely be the type of initiative that would perk someone's ears up.

Come find me at Winter Welcome or Welcome Weekend, and we can talk further.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 154 [1] , given: 13

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM Class of 2016 Admitted Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2013, 19:27
This post received
KUDOS
I'd even be into a camping trip or something dorky like that. Given the fact that Yale does have a required international experience, I don't think we'd necessarily have to plan a second international trip (although I still totally support the original idea and would definitely be interested). But anyway, I just think it would be cool to have some type of pre-orientation activity where people can bond in smaller groups before the busy-ness of orientation starts.

Btw, what is orientation like at SOM?

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM Class of 2016 Admitted Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 20:06
Expert's post
DefyingGravity wrote:

Resurrecting this thread....

Orientation is a blast! Highlights: meeting everyone (and immediately forgetting people's names, unless you are @OhDenny and are talented like that), seeing cool campus sites (the top of the bell tower, the planetarium, architecture tours, museums, etc), and the best part in my book: private party on the floor of the NYSE (!!!).

A good time all around. One thing I would do differently would be to take advantage of the many campus sites/tours as I could have; you think you'll have lots of time to do that since you'll be at Yale for 2 years, but your time fills up fast once the year gets going!

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Yale SOM Class of 2016 Admitted Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 04:58
aerien wrote:
DefyingGravity wrote:

Resurrecting this thread....

Orientation is a blast! Highlights: meeting everyone (and immediately forgetting people's names, unless you are @OhDenny and are talented like that), seeing cool campus sites (the top of the bell tower, the planetarium, architecture tours, museums, etc), and the best part in my book: private party on the floor of the NYSE (!!!).

A good time all around. One thing I would do differently would be to take advantage of the many campus sites/tours as I could have; you think you'll have lots of time to do that since you'll be at Yale for 2 years, but your time fills up fast once the year gets going!

Just to add onto this - Orientation is the sprint that prepares you for the marathon. 1st semester is rough on everyone, so orientation is a good primer. You can also have some input into what goes on at Orientation. Come March-ish, after R2 decisions are released, the SOM Student Government will be releasing regular digests on the 2016 Facebook page with information about SOM, Orientation, and many other topics. That's when your feedback comes into play!

Also - if you're taking math camp, (which is invitation-only, and you probably would have heard by now), that starts 2 days before Orientation. Keep in mind that our Orientation is quite early, (2nd week of August), so plan to quit your jobs well in advance so you can get to see your friends, relax, and eat your favorite hometown treats before a long hiatus.
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM Class of 2016 Admitted Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 13:53
Speaking of math camp, since I haven't been invited, how intense is the math that we'll be expected to know for our first year courses. I took calc and stats in college, but that was several years ago and I've forgotten a lot. Math camp seems like it would've been a nice refresher. Will I be at a disadvantage, or should I try to brush up on these skills before school starts?

Manager
Manager

Re: Yale SOM Class of 2016 Admitted Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 21:13
I last took calc in high school and have never taken stats or micro. I didn't do stellar in my first year, nor did I fail out. Math camp is really for those who are afraid of failing out. My guess, however, is that if you took calc and stats a few years ago, and did decently, you're already at the 60th percentile.

Manager
Manager

Re: Yale SOM Class of 2016 Admitted Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2014, 14:08
DefyingGravity wrote:
Speaking of math camp, since I haven't been invited, how intense is the math that we'll be expected to know for our first year courses. I took calc and stats in college, but that was several years ago and I've forgotten a lot. Math camp seems like it would've been a nice refresher. Will I be at a disadvantage, or should I try to brush up on these skills before school starts?

Can I request to be put in math camp? My GMAT suggests that I don't know math, haha.
Re: Yale SOM Class of 2016 Admitted Applicants   [#permalink] 10 Feb 2014, 14:08