Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 22:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale SOM Ranked #1 in Job Placement in 2009

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 689 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Yale SOM Ranked #1 in Job Placement in 2009 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 11:57
http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/10 ... ment/2.htm

No. 1 YALE UNIVERSITY, SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT

Students without job offers three months after graduation
in 2009: 8%
in 2007: 6%

Median starting salary
in 2009: $96,000
in 2007: $95,000

Yale grads emerged almost shockingly unscathed by the financial turmoil, hardly registering a blip in the placement rate. At the same time signing bonuses, actually increased from 2008 by 15 percentage points, with 76% of the students who found jobs also getting a bonus.

:-D

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Current Student
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

Re: Yale SOM Ranked #1 in Job Placement in 2009 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 12:15
hmmm, the numbers all point to a finance/banking as the reason for lower placement rates, i wonder if that helps those of us with no interest in that sector :twisted:

of course the job market should be much better by the time we enroll and start recruiting

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 25

Re: Yale SOM Ranked #1 in Job Placement in 2009 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 12:46
very nice, yale is looking good weathering storms. which also raises the question why a lot of schools haven't released their employment report for class 2010.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: Yale SOM Ranked #1 in Job Placement in 2009 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 13:02
they're probably trying to do damage control as best they can for the presumed decline in the numbers

GMAT Debrief

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 707 [0], given: 5

Re: Yale SOM Ranked #1 in Job Placement in 2009 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 14:28
Its still early for employment reports...they usually dont come out until thanksgiving timeframe. I am curious how BW compiles this information.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: Yale SOM Ranked #1 in Job Placement in 2009 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 08:51
Exactly. YSOM's own website does not have Class of 2009 employment data yet so I wonder where and how BW is getting those statistics and whether each school's data is as of the same date.

IIRC, Duke was probably the only school that officially released a preliminary Class of 2009 employment report in the early fall.

riverripper wrote:
Its still early for employment reports...they usually dont come out until thanksgiving timeframe. I am curious how BW compiles this information.

And there's relatively little room for "damage control" per se. Most schools put out employment reports that adhere to a specific set of reporting standards.

https://www.mbacsc.org/Standards.asp

shadowsjc wrote:
they're probably trying to do damage control as best they can for the presumed decline in the numbers
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 6

Re: Yale SOM Ranked #1 in Job Placement in 2009 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 09:26
I would take those numbers with a grain of salt.

Apparently Tuck was the only b-school to get 100% placement in internships last summer. Now whether that is true or not, I don't know, it's what I've heard from our career office.

However, when I talk to 2nd year students they say the number of people who got the internships they wanted probably dropped from 80% down to 50% or so.

Of course, it's always nice to have a job, but the numbers alone don't tell the whole story.

RF

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 707 [0], given: 5

Re: Yale SOM Ranked #1 in Job Placement in 2009 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 10:14
I believe they told us Kellogg had like a 99.8% internship rate...basically that means one person didn't get one. Kellogg didn't employee students but I know some schools did. A lot of schools begged alumni to hire interns too, Kellogg actually paid most of people's salaries. If a company paid 1k they would pay 7k.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 6

Re: Yale SOM Ranked #1 in Job Placement in 2009 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 12:23
riverripper wrote:
I believe they told us Kellogg had like a 99.8% internship rate...basically that means one person didn't get one. Kellogg didn't employee students but I know some schools did. A lot of schools begged alumni to hire interns too, Kellogg actually paid most of people's salaries. If a company paid 1k they would pay 7k.

Yeah, Tuck did the same sort of thing. Instead of calling up alumni and asking for donations for the endowment, they asked for jobs and internships.

RF

VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: Yale SOM Ranked #1 in Job Placement in 2009 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 14:49
riverripper brings up a good point. Saying 100% of the class is employed could be misleading. Having a few hundred Yale MBAs working the deep fryer at McDonalds would lead to 100% employment. What the stat doesn't say, and what no employment report will tell you, is how many people got the jobs they wanted or are happy with.

Besides the fact that as an applicant, looking at this year's employment report has no predictive value for how well the school will place you 18 months from now, if you're really that concerned about it, talk to current students.

Re: Yale SOM Ranked #1 in Job Placement in 2009   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2009, 14:49