Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 20:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale SOM's average GMAT goes WAY up

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Yale SOM's average GMAT goes WAY up [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 07:47
From 700 for class of 2009 to 718 for class of 2010. I knew it would go up, but not 18 points!

http://mba.yale.edu/MBA/students/class_statistics.shtml

"George is getting upset!"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by Raabend on 28 Jul 2008, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Yale SOM's average GMAT goes WAY up [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 07:50
Holy crap
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Yale SOM's average GMAT goes WAY up [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 07:51
raabenb wrote:
From 700 for class of 2009 to 718 for class of 2010. I knew it would go up, but not 18 points!

Jeeesh. They're not messing around. They want to climb those rankings badly.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Yale SOM's average GMAT goes WAY up [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 07:51
I am assuming Yale is trying to make a leap in the rankings.......

SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 430 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Yale SOM's average GMAT goes WAY up [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 07:52
Wow! That's crazy! I think they're going to be way up there with the new US News. I predict top 10 in a few years and steadily staying there or moving up a few more spots when their enrollment gets closer to the 300 mark they've predicted over the next 5-10 years.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Yale SOM's average GMAT goes WAY up [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 08:03
I'm really hoping that Wharton and Chicago's #s don't look like this :(

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Yale SOM's average GMAT goes WAY up [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 08:07
I just had a thought...we shouldn't worry. Most of those scores are going to get cancelled by GMAC :-D

(Maybe not, but I'll tell myself that for now and i'll feel better!)

J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Yale SOM's average GMAT goes WAY up [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 08:15
Impressive. With a large applicant pool and a small class size, it just goes to show that a school like Yale can really control their class stats as they desire...

It is certainly a school dedicated to advancing it's reputation, and I mean that in a positive way 100%.

~Sam
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Yale SOM's average GMAT goes WAY up [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 09:26
Looks like the reason they released these numbers so early was to make sure all the top 10 applicants would not get swayed by last years rankings and to prove that they have a top 10 program and are looking to make that jump. I'd imagine based on that gmat increase alone, they will receive at least a 10% increase in apps.

Also, 95th percentile avg verbal score?? wow
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Yale SOM's average GMAT goes WAY up [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 09:36
terp26 wrote:
Looks like the reason they released these numbers so early was to make sure all the top 10 applicants would not get swayed by last years rankings and to prove that they have a top 10 program and are looking to make that jump. I'd imagine based on that gmat increase alone, they will receive at least a 10% increase in apps.

Don't you think the higher GMAT score could actually be a deterrent for the many applicants that use Yale as a backup to the M7. A 720 GMAT average does not make for a very good backup.
Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Yale SOM's average GMAT goes WAY up [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 09:38
These numbers are insane...sigh. Yale is my number 1 choice, but it's at a point where I'm really starting to wonder if my efforts may be better spent on another school.

I think I need to stop coming to these message boards and just bury my head in the sand. Yes I'll remain ignorant, but at least I'll still have my sanity :lol:
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Yale SOM's average GMAT goes WAY up [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 09:39
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
terp26 wrote:

Don't you think the higher GMAT score could actually be a deterrent for the many applicants that use Yale as a backup to the M7. A 720 GMAT average does not make for a very good backup.

Well, in terms of rankings, Yale would rank very high in avg gmat. But in terms of a chance of being accepted for the avg applicant who wants to use Yale SOM as a backup, an increase in 10 pts, 20 pts, even 30pts will probably not deter those who probably already have a score in the low 700s.

So, it's not a loss for Yale to raise the avg gmat score of their class profile.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Yale SOM's average GMAT goes WAY up [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 09:43
I heard a rumor that Yale's very low acceptance rate comes from their unusually high percentage of Asian/Indian applicants who apply simply because of the "Yale brand". Has anybody else read anything similar?

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Yale SOM's average GMAT goes WAY up [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 09:44
raabenb wrote:
I heard a rumor that Yale's very low acceptance rate comes from their unusually high percentage of Asian/Indian applicants who apply simply because of the "Yale brand". Has anybody else read anything similar?

My thought was that Yale wants to move up the rankings. So, they artificially decreased their acceptance rate by decreasing class size. If you remember, they gave some of their admits a 50% tuition credit for deferring one year.
Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Yale SOM's average GMAT goes WAY up [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 09:45
raabenb wrote:

I have not heard that before, but it makes sense for a few percentage points at least.

Yale has a really low acceptance rate...but isn't their yield exceptionally low as well?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Yale SOM's average GMAT goes WAY up [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 09:46
This GMAT statistic has made me more depressed than when I sat through an entire Radiohead album.....

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Yale SOM's average GMAT goes WAY up [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 10:00
By the time my app makes it to the adcoms desk my 740 will be the average. So much for using my GMAT to make up for a medicore GPA
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Yale SOM's average GMAT goes WAY up [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 10:12
raabenb wrote:
This GMAT statistic has made me more depressed than when I sat through an entire Radiohead album.....

You needn't worry. There are several possibilities. They might be accepting more people with super high gmats. meaning, rather than take the 760, they take enough 780+

Or, they could just be cutting out the low scorers who bring the avg down. There are several possibilities that would explain how a 700 applicant will not be affected.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Yale SOM's average GMAT goes WAY up [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 10:30
If it makes sense, one of the motivations I have to apply, aside from it being a great school with great placement in different fields, and that they have brought in quality professors, is that they're going to be going up in rankings almost certainly.

Is it wrong to want to be one of the first people on board before/while it is going up ?

J Allen Morris

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Yale SOM's average GMAT goes WAY up [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 10:33
jallenmorris wrote:
If it makes sense, one of the motivations I have to apply, aside from it being a great school with great placement in different fields, and that they have brought in quality professors, is that they're going to be going up in rankings almost certainly.

Is it wrong to want to be one of the first people on board before/while it is going up ?

buy low, sell high.

It probably doesn't hurt to have Yale on your resume.
Re: Yale SOM's average GMAT goes WAY up   [#permalink] 28 Jul 2008, 10:33