Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale SOM vs Cornell Johnson - (Consulting)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 448

Premium Member CAT Tests
Yale SOM vs Cornell Johnson - (Consulting) [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 15:11
I have been contemplating for sometime on whether to apply to Johnson. I've gone through basic material available on their website and on the forums.
I still haven't been able to find out much in terms of the top employers. And typically where do consulting firms place after recruiting from Johnson.

Also, it would be great if someone could provide an insight on how does Johnson compare with Yale SOM (for consulting). Though both schools have great 'finance reputations', I believe, Johnson is a bit further from NY and hence slightly less favorable. Is it true for consulting as well ? How many times do the folks need to travel on an average ?

Both have a highly diverse small class of students. Also, of what I have read - cultures are pretty much similar (just that Ithaca is a bit more scenic). Can a current student, or someone, who has visited both or done a deep dive answer these questions?

Thanks

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Yale SOM vs Cornell Johnson - (Consulting) [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 15:50
Have you looked at the schools' employment reports?

http://www.johnson.cornell.edu/Career-M ... -MBAs.aspx

http://mba.yale.edu/MBA/careers/employment/salary.shtml

...the % going into consulting is roughly the same at both schools. You can always dive deeper and look at the specific firms that recruit at both BSchools.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Yale SOM vs Cornell Johnson - (Consulting) [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 16:07
MDF wrote:
Have you looked at the schools' employment reports?

http://www.johnson.cornell.edu/Career-M ... -MBAs.aspx

http://mba.yale.edu/MBA/careers/employment/salary.shtml

...the % going into consulting is roughly the same at both schools. You can always dive deeper and look at the specific firms that recruit at both BSchools.

Yes I did have a look at them :)

Just wanted to get a second opinion from someone, who is well informed and has done a bit of research.

Also, I was looking for a break-up of % going in tier-1, tier-2 and a rough geography wise break-up. for example (this might be wrong) I feel Cornell places well internationally as well. AT Kearney South East Asia recruits there, and some folks who I have stalked are in middle east as well. This is the first hand impression I got while going through these reports.

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [1] , given: 627

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM vs Cornell Johnson - (Consulting) [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 17:54
This post received
KUDOS
You may also want to look at the Businessweek profiles for each school. My (cursory) understanding is that they are a little weaker in consulting placement than other schools in the 10-15 range (e.g., Fuqua, Ross, Darden). This comes from knowing a current SOM student who recruited for consulting (and didn't get it) and research I've done into Johnson.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 112 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Yale SOM vs Cornell Johnson - (Consulting) [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 06:06
This post received
KUDOS
If consulting is your goal, then you really need to do some real due diligence on this matter. Both schools are excellent and have great momentum at this time - Yale with a new dean and new facility and Cornell with its massive New York City campus.

Since I believe that nothing replaces primary, personalized research, I would start researching this matter as follows:

* contact the career placement office and speak to a counselor and get some insight into which firms are coming, new firms that started consulting this year and how aggressively they are pursuing their graduates (ask questions like how many receptions they held, how active the alumni at premier firms are at recruiting new graduates, etc.)
* next, each of these schools have management consulting clubs. I would contact one of the officers at these clubs and speak to them. You can get this information either from the student activity center or each club might even have its own web site or link to the school that provides this information. By speaking to these students, you will be able to get a good idea of the number of students interested in such a career, how "warm" each firm is to the school, trends in the number of students pursuing a career in this field, etc.
* lastly, try to find an alumni or two from each school at some of your targeted firm and ask them for some time to speak about the advantages/disadvantages of attending their school as it relates to securing a position in consulting.

This is a place to start. Good luck in your application process and future consulting career.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

VP
VP

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Yale SOM vs Cornell Johnson - (Consulting) [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 06:26
@Kimberly:

Thank you for the tips.
In fact I have already started to talk to alums from both Yale and Johnson. I think it makes sense to contact the consulting clubs next.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 3

Re: Yale SOM vs Cornell Johnson - (Consulting) [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 10:40
This post received
KUDOS
How about getting admitted to both first?
VP
VP

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Yale SOM vs Cornell Johnson - (Consulting) [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 11:20
MYCambridge wrote:
How about getting admitted to both first?

:-) good thought and how I wish! But I haven't reached that stage yet. I'm still considering whether Cornell fits in with my goals and does it make any sense to write the whole application.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 320 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM vs Cornell Johnson - (Consulting) [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 10:54
Expert's post
This may be of help: top-consulting-school-by-placement-at-mbb-138975.html

From a 3rd party observer perspective, these two schools are on par with each other, as far as the strength and reach of the consulting placements.

If your focus is on consulting, and not on the prestige of the consulting firms, you can also expand your school search to be broader. It is my belief that you’ll have an equal chance if the company recruits actively on campus. So instead of picking two similar schools, maybe look a different school, where you would be happy spending your 2 years at.

Diversity

Re: Yale SOM vs Cornell Johnson - (Consulting)   [#permalink] 02 Nov 2012, 10:54