Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale SOM vs. UCLA Anderson

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Yale SOM vs. UCLA Anderson [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 10:51
Hi all,

I've already committed to Yale, but wanted to ask a question (mostly to feel mentally comfortable with my decision):

Is Yale SOM or UCLA Anderson the better option for someone who wants to pursue a career in finance (VC, PE, or banking)?

My thought process was that SOM is likely better connected to NYC and networking may be better there as compared to UCLA. That said, UCLA sent a lot of people to a lot of great banks according to their most recent employment report, whereas it looks like Yale is struggling a bit (Goldman Sachs, for example, didn't pull a single intern from Yale SOM this year).

So, what are your thoughts? Even though this wont affect my decision (deposit is paid!), perhaps our discussion can help future generations of MBA applicants.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Yale SOM vs. UCLA Anderson [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 11:08
thomashobbes wrote:
Hi all,

I've already committed to Yale, but wanted to ask a question (mostly to feel mentally comfortable with my decision):

Is Yale SOM or UCLA Anderson the better option for someone who wants to pursue a career in finance (VC, PE, or banking)?

My thought process was that SOM is likely better connected to NYC and networking may be better there as compared to UCLA. That said, UCLA sent a lot of people to a lot of great banks according to their most recent employment report, whereas it looks like Yale is struggling a bit (Goldman Sachs, for example, didn't pull a single intern from Yale SOM this year).

So, what are your thoughts? Even though this wont affect my decision (deposit is paid!), perhaps our discussion can help future generations of MBA applicants.

Well... would you rather end up in NYC or LA?

If NYC, Yale is the obvious choice, for LA UCLA is the obvious choice. If your goal is anywhere outside of Cal, I'd pick Yale.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 411 [2] , given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM vs. UCLA Anderson [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 14:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Ok, y'all know I'm biased but I'll give this anecdote...

My UCLA interviewer wanted to be in finance and he was dissatisfied with the recruiting at Anderson, not necessarily because of Anderson's recruiting office/strength but because of the quarter system. UCLA starts relatively later than most (all?) other schools. While that means you have a really long summer break, it also means that NYU/CBS/Yale/Sloan/HBS all have multiple more chances to visit Wall Street firms and get into the recruiting game earlier. By the time UCLA starts classes and has time to fly to NYC, all these other schools have at least had multiple informal chats/meetings if not more serious internship/full-time talks. That hurts you as a candidate.

Said interviewer did intern/full-time in finance but is still in the LA area at a non-GS/MS/JPM/CS, etc-type firm.

Highwyre is right, if you want to stay in CA (especially southern California), UCLA can be a great option for you. But can you go to Yale and still have a career on the West Coast/outside the Northeast, if that's what you want? I think so!

Feel free to PM if you want more details.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

4 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 308 [4] , given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM vs. UCLA Anderson [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 17:04
This post received
KUDOS
To be fair, UCLA has babes, sunshine, and In N' Out.

Yale has some skull and bones Movie starring Paul Walker (a guy who would be homeless if it wasn't for the Fast & Furious franchise).

All kidding aside - what the other guys said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Current Student
Schools: Yale '15 (M)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM vs. UCLA Anderson [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 04:54
Many thanks for the replies! I'm beyond psyched about Yale and am really looking forward to starting in August (wow that's soon!).
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Anderson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 25

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Yale SOM vs. UCLA Anderson [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 08:22
This post received
KUDOS
I'd mostly agree with everyone else. If you want to work in finance in NYC, definitely Yale. You're within a train ride of the biggest economy in the country. If you want to work in CA, choose UCLA.

I have a co-worker who went to Yale for his MBA. Due to family circumstances he had to move to SF, and is now doing the same thing I do (except obviously I'm pre-MBA and he's post). From what he's said, the Yale MBA network is relatively weak on the West Coast. I'm sure he would have been able to get a much better gig if he went to a West Coast school in the first place.

Truth is, outside of H/W and a lesser extent Stanford it really helps to go to school in the area where you'd like to work (for the top 20 schools).
Intern
Intern
WE: Corporate Finance (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 43

Re: Yale SOM vs. UCLA Anderson [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2013, 14:00
Which school is better for working in East Asia (Taiwan, Japan)? My first hunch is Yale because it is part of the Ivy League and carries a stronger brand.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Yale SOM vs. UCLA Anderson [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 09:44
Expert's post
fremontpea wrote:
Which school is better for working in East Asia (Taiwan, Japan)? My first hunch is Yale because it is part of the Ivy League and carries a stronger brand.

I think it depends what industry you want to go into and where you want to be. UCLA has a lot of connections to East Asia, due to proximity and the types of students who attend (e.g., a large percentage of international students there are from East Asia). Yale has connections there as well, and the brand name of the university probably carries some weight as well, but that doesn't mean someone will hand you a job either ;)

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Yale SOM vs. UCLA Anderson   [#permalink] 25 Oct 2013, 09:44