Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 23:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Years of Work Experience??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 12

Years of Work Experience?? [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 03:25
I will be matriculating after seven years post undergrad. However, only three of those were spend 'working' and four of them were in medical school. So, naturally, I have been putting three years as work experience. Is this a mistake? Because frankly in medical school (especially during clinical years) I was working 80 hours a week, just merely 'paying for the privilege'. How will admissions committees look at this? Will they realise that, yes, I spent two of those 'education' years working in a hospital 80-100 hours a week, or will it just a be a strict "three actual working years"? Obviously nothing can be done now, but more sheer curiosity.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Years of Work Experience?? [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 04:15
Expert's post
I know some people who either did MBA/MD joint programs or people similar to yourself who went to med school and then applied/ are applying to bschool. I'm not sure what number you should put in the WE box as there are mixed reviews as to whether graduate programs count as WE. What I can say is that Adcoms will look at your application holistically -- I think especially for schools with organized joint programs, adcom members will be more familiar with your background and will know how much work you did in med school (regardless that you're only applying to MBA). You could also highlight your WE in your essays, if it fits with your career goals, and in your resume. Best of luck!!

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 12

Re: Years of Work Experience?? [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2012, 03:45
Thank you for the response. Yeah, I'm pretty sure most schools that have the combined programs understand, or frankly most adcoms in general. If someone has a masters or doctorate in a program without a TAship or something of the sort, I would still like to think they consider the thousands of hours or research and work into their thesis as 'work'. I think I was just getting a wee-bit paranoid when I see plenty of folks my age have legitimately seven years of WE, whereas I'll only have three, but a tonne of uncounted 'work' in professional school. I'm also kind of guilty of under-selling myself or being way too literal at times. :lol:

Hope you nail that Yale interview :)
Re: Years of Work Experience??   [#permalink] 05 Nov 2012, 03:45